Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Keeping Cats Off Counters

0 1EmailFollow
Pin It
cat on a kitchen counter

A cat's ability to jump high can be a problem in the home. This guide is about keeping cats off counters.

Solutions: Keeping Cats Off Counters

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Keep Cats Off Kitchen Counters

My cat used to get up on my kitchen countertops (always looking for food) until my mother told me to point a spray bottle with water in it at him. At first I had to actually spray him several times. Now, all I have to do is hold up the spray bottle for him to see and he jumps down as fast as he can!

For those of you who let your cats hang out where you prepare your food, you should rethink this because I recently found out my cat had a tapeworm. Tapeworms attach themselves to the pet's stomach lining and reproduce by sections breaking off. You will find these tiny sections under the cats tail. They look like tiny pieces of dried rice. It makes me sick to think my cat may have been up on my countertop when he had a tapeworm! Pets catch tapeworms from fleas so it's a good idea to make sure you use Advantage or another good flea preventive. It's fairly easy to keep your cat off the kitchen countertop (at least while you're at home!) Just show them the spray bottle and they'll jump down as fast as they can!

By CDR

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Keeping Cats Off Counters.

Question: Keeping Cats Off Counters at Night

When I get up in the morning there's always at least one cat on the counter, often two. I have to scrub the counter before I can start my day. Any suggestion on how to keep cat off the counters at night? During the day I just move them off the counter.

By Judith Mc-H from Emden, IL

Best Answers

By Cricket03/11/2013

I don't know who posted it, but I agree with Deeli. Don't use mouse traps! Mouse traps are one of the cruelest things ever invented, right along with wild animal traps. The reasons they are cruel are too many to list.

My cat gets up on my counters too. That's just something you have to learn to live with if you have cats. I keep water bottles handy (filled with water, not any chemical or anything else) and squirt him when I catch him up there.
Other than that I keep anything tempting for him off the counters and put away in containers that the scent can't escape from.

In the mornings and before I prepare to use a counter, I simply wipe it down with a Lysol wipe. Takes only a few seconds and doesn't cost that much. If you don't want to but the Lysol wipes then use a rag wth dishwater on it.

But, cats like to jump up and explore anythng higher than they are on the floor so just accept that and move on. Anyone who would even consider using a mouse trap has no business having any pets.

Best Answers

By Maile09/01/2011

Grab your baking trays and lay them on the counter. Fill with a 1/4 inch of water. Place them in different places every night. If you have a lot of counter space and not enough baking trays, lay foil along the edge of the counters. When the cats jump up, they can't get a foothold.

Question: Keeping Cats Off Counter Tops

Keeping Cats Off CountersWe have two 4 month old kittens that are constantly on the kitchen counter and table. They eat any food sitting out, hang out in the sink, sit in the empty crock pot, you name it. We call them the obnoxious kittens for a reason! They even jump up and try to sneak food off our plates while we're eating dinner.

We've been moving them to the floor, squirting them with a water bottle, or making loud noises when we catch them. This used to send them running, but now they no longer care and seem to enjoy their little squirt bottle baths. We rarely leave food or dirty dishes on the counter, so they're not after that. They get plenty of good quality dry food and a little wet food on top every day.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for keeping cats off the counter? I think it's gross and we have a glass top stove and I worry about them burning their feet if they walk across it while it's still hot.

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

Best Answers

By Sharon02/15/2011

Also, be tenacious. Just keep pushing them down, with some force, chanting in a gruff voice "Get down, get down, down, down," and eventually they might get the point. It works with mine. As soon as I see them someplace they shouldn't be I just start the chanting and they know what I'm talking about. Clap your hands as well. These sound so simple, but patience and tenacity usually pay off.

Best Answers

By Sharon02/15/2011

Cats don't like aluminum foil either. Try taping some to the counters where they usually jump and they should get the heck out of there in a hurry, and hopefully, never go back. Worth a try ...

Best Answers

By Cheryl02/15/2011

You could try a penny can-put a few pennies in an open soda can. Throw it in their direction when they aim for the counter, but don't hit them. It makes a big noise, and scares them. Or set it so it will fall if they jump on the counters. You can also try a "scat mat" sold at pet stores. It gives the animal a zap if they jump on it. Good luck!

Best Answers

By TC02/11/2011

Stick double-sided tape all along the edge of the counter. Cats hate sticky tape on their paws! You may have to leave tape on the surfaces for a week or so, until they stop jumping up!

Question: Keeping Cats Off the Counter

Does anyone know how to keep a cat (19 mo old) off the counter/ entertainment center? He is driving me batty. Thank you in advance.

By Tammey S.

Question: Keeping Cats Off of the Counters

Can I use peppermint oil in a spray bottle with water to spray on my daughter's cat to deter him from getting on my counters?

By Nancy

Best Answers

By Ethel Gerberick [5]12/11/2012

Buy a bottle of bitter apple spray in the pet department. I get mine at Petsmart but I understand Wallmart carries it also. It is recommended for dogs to prevent scratching, but it is nothing in it to harm cats and they hate it. Spray it where you do not want them to be and they will stay away. My daughter had a problem with her cat chewing on her electrical cords and also getting on counter tops. She sprayed them and it cured her cat from both problems. Hope this will help your problem.

Best Answers

By Dena Roberts [31]09/07/2011

Never, ever use pepper of any kind on or around cats or other animals. I used to work in a vet's office. Cats get the pepper in their eyes and it burns. We had a cat in our office that actually scratched it's eye out trying to get rid of the burning pain! We had to surgically remove what was left of the shredded eye. Poor kitty! Use a spray bottle with plain water in it. Don't yell or say anything to the cat. Just spray it when it jumps up on the counter. It will associate the counter with getting sprayed. Don't put anything in the water as the cat may get it in their eyes.

Question: Training Kittens to Stay Off Kitchen Counters and Table

I have two kittens. Can anyone tell me how I can train them to keep them from climbing on the kitchen table, counters, and stove? I really need help as there are two of them and I have never had two cats at one time. I found it easy to train one. I think they are "partners in crime" together. They copy each other.

By Joyce from Mississauga, Ontario

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria08/10/2010

When you catch them on the table squirt them with water from a toy squir gun from across the room will do the trick.

Question: Kitty on the Counters

Any idea how to keep my kitten off of the kitchen counter? She runs when you see her. When I catch her I do spank her. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Becky

Best Answer

By Patti06/22/2004

Cats can be discouraged from surfing the kitchen counters by using double sided tape applied in strips along the counter top. Hardware stores and home centers carry plastic carpet runners with "teeth" on the back. Buy a piece long enough to cover the counter top placing it "teeth" side up. The tape and the runner work because cats don't like the feel on their feet. Empty soda cans, with or without coins inside, deter cats by making a racket when they fall. During Halloween, look for motion activated toys that scream or flash lights. Some you can even record your own voice. Use any of these or a combination for a week or so, depending on how long your cat has had the habit. In the future, you may have to use one again for a day or two as a reminder. Hitting a cat only teaches fear and squirting only works when you are there.