Training Kittens to Stay Off Kitchen Counters and Table

I have two kittens. Can anyone tell me how I can train them to keep them from climbing on the kitchen table, counters, and stove? I really need help as there are two of them and I have never had two cats at one time. I found it easy to train one. I think they are "partners in crime" together. They copy each other.

By Joyce from Mississauga, Ontario

Get a can, put a few coins in it, and either place a lid on it or tape over the top. When you see them getting up, toss it in their direction - careful not to hit them - you want to startle them with the noise, not hit them with the can.

If they are jumping up when you are not around, you can rig the edge of the counter with a long strip of cloth or paper with light items on it that will fall down if the paper/cloth falls. If they jump up they will hopefully knock the paper/cloth off and get the startle from the sound of things falling.

When you catch them on the table squirt them with water from a toy squir gun from across the room will do the trick.

I would pick my cat up several times a day and spray him with water on the counter top. Quickly, he associated the counter with the spraying. No more counter hopping.

Pets CatsAugust 9, 2010
💘
🍀