Keeping Dogs from Jumping Fence

How do you stop your dog from jumping over the fence?

Keeping Dogs from Jumping Fence

New fence. (12/01/2008)

By kimhis

Keeping Dogs from Jumping Fence

I saw this problem once on the Dog Whisperer. The dog could scale a very tall wooden fence! What Cesar used during that episode for that particular dog was a "scat mat". I've seen them for sale here:, or I'm sure you could Google "scat mat". The mat sends off a static charge and the dog (or cat) will learn they don't like the little zap and they'll stay away.

If that doesn't work, I would talk to a vet or trainer. (12/02/2008)

By Jessica

Keeping Dogs from Jumping Fence

I sympathize with your problem; my hubby's had incredibly agile dogs since long before we met. One dog I most clearly remember actually climbed into the tree at the back of our property while chasing a squirrel at 2:00 AM!

We were blessed a couple of years ago with not only some corral fencing, but some really tall wire fencing, like commercial dog runs are made of. Hubby was able to get help mounting the corral fencing on 4x4s when we first got it. Then this summer, he and I used tie wire to attach the dog-run style fencing to our existing chain-link fence around 90% of our half-acre yard. Now the only area we have to worry about is the front gate, and a bit of supervision takes care of that. (12/04/2008)

By JustPlainJo

Dog Jumping
Keeping Dogs from Jumping Your Fence
Privacy Fence
Building a Privacy Fence
Paw prints painted on a fence.
Decorating Your Fence
Wireless Pet Fence
Using a Wireless Pet Fence
Building a Fence, Six Foot Tall Cedar Fence with Blue Sky in the Background
Building a Fence