Keeping Flies Away

How do I keep flies away?

Deb from Spring Hill, FL

Answers:

Keeping Flies Away

We had a problem with flies outside on our deck. We purchased 2 fly traps at Walmart for about $5 each. They really work. But the smell is awful. It's best not to hang them close to sitting area. The traps fill up quickly and can be refilled (refills also purchased at Walmart). (07/07/2008)

By dixie35481

Keeping Flies Away

First of course, look for whatever material might be drawing them. Any moisture on the ground, anything that would be nutritious for a baby fly, including piles of grass clippings or anything.
Then look at all the traps, baits, and sprays and choose one, hopefully one that is cost-conscious and not to damaging to your environment and mine. (07/08/2008)

By kimhis

Keeping Flies Away

It may sound strange, but Keopectate, or Pepto bismol are great fly deterrents. Simply place a small dish or the lid from a mayonnaise jar, filled with whichever you like in the area that the flies are bothering you. For some reason, they are repelled by it, and it doesn't stink up the house like so many commercial products do. Replace the dish every week or so, as it dries out. Depending on your climate, you may want to do it more often if you notice it drying out more quickly.

There are some great fly tubes (the papers don't work nearly as well) that you can get at Walgreens. I have never see them at Walmart or the other big chains, but Walgreens always has them year round. They don't smell nearly as bad, and catch way more flies than paper or other traps I have tried. (07/09/2008)

By freemommy

Keeping Flies Away

Though I haven't tried this myself, I read on another group that if you tack a little plastic bag filled with water to the outside of your doors, flies will not be a bother. (07/09/2008)

By soochatty