Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Keeping Produce Fresh

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Keeping Produce Fresh

Keeping produce fresh may require some special attention to each variety. This is a guide about keeping produce fresh.

Solutions: Keeping Produce Fresh

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Keeping Produce Fresh

Whenever I buy grapes, I always wash them right away for an easy snack to grab. To ensure they stay fresh as long as possible. I always stick a couple folded up paper towels in the bottom of the bowl or zip-lock bag.

I do the same with green peppers after I have washed and cut them up. Even slices of cantaloupe stay fresh much longer after I have done this.

By Vicki from Monroe, MI

Tip: Wash Produce Right Before Using

Many of us have a habit of washing produce before putting it in the refrigerator after we buy it and get ready to store it. I was surprised to hear that what I thought was a good habit in doing so is actually not a good idea. Wet produce can harbor a lot of bacteria, because it is wet. It is better to wash it well when preparing it to eat right away.

By Linda from Bellevue, N.E

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Keeping Produce Fresh.

Question: Shelf Life of Fruit Fresh Produce Protector

I was wanting to know how long can you use or keep Fruit Fresh Produce Protector and it will still be good for freezing? I have some that expired in 2008, is it still good?

Diana

Most Recent Answer

By Jacqui08/25/2010

Fruit fresh & lemon juice are really only to keep your fruit from going black or discoloring, fruit should not be frozen for longer than probably two months and should be thoroughly defrosted of all the water before using them again put them in a colander in the sink for a while and just let them drain for about an hour until the ice has melted and the ice water has drained do not wash them again then use like fresh, good luck.

Question: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

Has anyone tried green bags for produce?

By Recovering Spendthrift from Bellingham, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Heather Krucker08/29/2009

I've never tried them, but I own lock & lock containers that work quite well in keeping veggies and fruit fresh longer. They do not work for bananas, however, if they do go too ripe...in the freezer they go and I'll use them to make bread and pancakes.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

Has anyone used those green plastic bags for storing produce? Do you keep the bags of fruit and such in the fridge or on the counter? In this hot weather I would think the fridge would be best? Please share comments and experience. Thanks to all.

Edith from CT

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I found some of those bags at the Dollar General Store for five dollars a box. Bananas stay free of black spots much longer and the veggies I keep in the frig have all done well. I do notice I watch all my produce more closely than I used to because, according to the box, if the bag gets damp inside, you need to wipe the wetness out. So I guess you could say I like them. (07/24/2008)

By Nan

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I use the green bags all the time. I mainly use them in the refrigerator for produce and fruit. They work great on most fruit except bananas, the skin on them stays nice looking, but the inside of them turns to mush. They keep veggies nice and fresh too, except make sure they are fairly dry when you put them in the bags. I have had peaches in the fridge for 1 1/2 months in them and they are still as good as when I bought them. Give them a try and I hope you like them as well as I do. (07/24/2008)

By Dawn

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I use the bags wherever I would store the food without the bag. Put the food into the bag and "loosely" twist or fold the top closed, don't clip or fasten it. As an experiment, I left part of a head of lettuce in one for about a month. It was still edible after all that time. I did not wipe out the inside of the bag and the lettuce did not get all slimy like it does when not eaten quickly enough. I have also used them for tomatoes, carrots, strawberries, grapes, and bananas with very good results. (07/24/2008)

By skinney54

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

My wife thinks these bags are good; not great. I think they are a complete joke. It is necessary to take the fruit or vegetables out of the bags each day and dry the inside of the green bags with paper towels to remove the moisture? (07/24/2008)

By jastokes

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

Surprisingly and by accident I found that wrapping my iceburg lettuce in red plastic wrap kept it fresher much longer than any other storage method I used previously. I don't know why, I just know it did. Maybe the secret is that the plastic is colored. (07/24/2008)

By beachbum757

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I have used the green bags for 4 months and been very happy with them. I do not wipe the inside each day. The extended life, of fruits and vegetables, is really helpful to me, as I live alone, and it takes a while to eat some things. I think they are worth the investment. I also keep them in the fridge. (07/24/2008)

By Carla

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I've been using the green plastic bags for some years. They are great for storing bread and cakes, too. Best kept in the fridge. (07/25/2008)

By barbara pennell

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I have these bags and they do work well. I usually put a paper towel in the bag and that takes care of the moisture. I also use zipper type bags with paper towel in them (replace every few days) and they work just as well. My mother swears by these green bags, however, I can use zipper bags and be just as happy. (07/25/2008)

By

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

I use the green ones and they are fantastic. Use both in refrigerator or dry cupboard storage. With whole fruit leave the bag open. Cut-up food would be better contained; however, don't tightly clip. Since the green bags only come in a couple of sizes, I also use Ziplocs. As with any plastic bag, reduce the moisture that may be added or accumulate. To keep it in check, I dry off as much of it as possible, then add a paper towel and leave it in the bag.

Consider this if you are storing cheese: When first using a brick or cube of cheese, use a paper towel as a holder when you grate or cut it. The towel is a protective holder that acts as a barrier against the bacteria that would transfer from your hand to the cheese. Before storing in a plastic bag, wrap the cheese in a towel first. My guess is that both the bacteria from the hands and any moisture are handled quite well by the paper towel. I have kept cheese by this method much longer than any other. (07/25/2008)

By simplify

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

The green bags seem to work well on some things, and not well or others. For the most part, I am pleased with them. Our Grandson (who lives with us) has a Green Iguana. These Iguanas eat fresh veggies two and three times a day. They eat better than we do sometimes. The main things are greens: mustard greens, turnip greens, collards, and kale. By purchasing these in very large poly-bags at Sam's and Dollar General Market, I can save money using the green bags.

Before I started using the green bags, we could only buy greens by the "bunch" and even keeping them well refrigerated, they didn't last very long. They got "mushy" and "wet". We were buying the Iguana produce nearly every day. By using the Green bags, the contents of those large bags will last a week, and often more. This is great. The Iguana is happy, and we are happy that we don't have to shop every day. Bananas do last longer in the green bag. I hate to admit it, but they do. Snow peas, yellow squash, blue berries, turnips, and bell peppers all do well in green bags. Strawberries just don't last, no matter what you put them in. (07/25/2008)

By Barb in Tennessee

RE: Using Green Plastic Produce Bags

My Tupperware for fruits and veggies really extends life of all, they have ridges on bottom and have vents and you set it at what you need for certain things. It really works great. I have saved money on fruits and veggies which I used to have to toss. This is a great money saver. (08/01/2008)

By meoowmom

Archive: Keeping Produce Fresh

This is an answer to the keeping celery fresh inquiry, but it will work for MOST produce. I sold produce for over four years I was called the Produce Queen, so I know what I'm talkin' about