Keeping Slugs Out of Your Garden

If you live where slugs are prevalent you know the destruction they can cause. They can quickly consume plants and ruin your garden. This is a guide about keeping slugs out of your garden.

July 18, 2008 Flag

Get an easy to clean manual grinder (one used for grinding onions, etc.) (Look for at yard sales, second hand stores). Collect slugs (4-5 will do). Put in grinder top with water. Grind up. Put into bowl covered with cheesecloth. Put juice in a 2 litre pop bottle, top with water.

Use dollar store sprayer to spray the ground or poke holes in the cap and sprinkle the complete perimeter of your garden. (Wear rubber gloves to do this, you will not want this smelly solution on your hands). Repeat process after rain. Slugs (and lots of other annoying insects and animals such as flies, mosquitoes, cats and dogs hate the smell and will go elsewhere. It's inexpensive, vey effective (most importantly), and less time-consuming than going to the store for slug bait or emptying the slug traps.

I am a bit ashamed to admit I did enjoy grinding the slugs after what they did to my plants, you may experience this feeling too!

Source: I must have read this somewhere but it was so long ago that I do not know where it was. Probably a Readers Digest Problem Solver Book.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

This works on any pest animals. We have squirrels around here like you would not believe because we are heavily treed and everyone has annuals and perennials in their yards all over the place. It's a playground. Not to mention slugs, and bugs. yuck. On a video called Back to Eden, the guy mentioned crows killing his chickens so he shot one and hung it on a pole, they flew away and never came back. This will work. They know death is coming, and they don't like it. If they do come, I figure they wanna go home so I happily help them home. But I'm not grinding on slugs. I just whack them up with a straight hoe into pieces, or use salt when on a brick pathway. Also they do not seem to care for wood chips. Especially ones with pine needles like Blue Spruce. Too crunchy, too prickly.

June 9, 2010 Flag

To help prevent grubs and slugs from ruining your planting beds, place a few slices of cucumber in a small pie tin and place in the garden. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drives garden pests crazy and make them slither off!

By cailifouhnofthemist from Williams Lake, B.C.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My resident slugs ate the cucumber as well as the lettuce...

Marg from England

July 12, 2011 Flag

We have very heavy clay soil here and a lot of rocks in the ground, so we have been growing our vegetables and herbs in containers. Every year, time and energy are required to pick slugs off the broccoli and lettuces, and every year we try different things to keep those slugs away - with very limited success.

This year we put our lettuces on top of some patio tables we bought. When we need to use a table, it's a simple thing to put the lettuces on the ground, always remembering to put them back on the tables before nightfall. This has worked perfectly - we have not found one slug anywhere near the lettuces (or broccoli), and we haven't lost any lettuce or broccoli at all. It has been such a success, I just had to share it with all you nice folks on TF. Give it a try - lettuces and broccoli do very well in containers, by the way.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have loads of slugs and snails in our garden and it is flourishing. We have a patch behind the shed and we feed the slugs and snails, lettuce, cucumber etc, so that everything is evenly balanced. No slug pellets, that will severely damage the food chain and no need for aggression towards a creature that is virtually harmless.

April 10, 2005 Flag

Lovely Yellow Primula (Preventing Slugs and Sow Bugs)

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a sunny bunch of yellow primulas to brighten your day! They are just so nice right now, while the mauve ones are getting done. For the slugs, I put crushed eggshells around.

March 29, 2007 Flag

Slugs thrive west of the Cascades Mountains in the Pacific Northwest. Damaged plants are marked by slime trails and irregular-shaped holes with smooth edges. You can follow this link for more information on slugs.

Here are some more tips from the ThriftyFun community on slug control.

Recycle Window Screens As Slug Deterrent

Cut old metal window screens into 1x1 foot squares. Then cut a hole in the center of the square and put it on the ground around the plant. Slugs don't like to slither across window screens.

Sharp Edges Deter Slugs

You can crush up some seashells and spread them around your plants. The broken edges are very sharp and the slugs cannot crawl over them.

By Sue L.

Copper And Nasturtiums

I have had some luck with edging planters with copper strips or wrapping with copper wire. Slugs will avoid it. Also, a border planted with a natural slug deterrent, such as nasturtiums, can be beautiful and beneficial.

By Jess

Salt Around Plants, Not On Plants

Try putting crushed egg shells around your plants, and you can spinkle a little salt around the area. Don't put the salt on the plants, because it will kill them.

By elva

Prevention And Lure Techniques

Non Organic: Get pellets from any garden supply store, some may be poisonous to pets/children.

Organic: Barrier methods - sprinkle eggshells or diatomaceous earth around individual plants. The sharp edges deter/kill the slugs.

Lure And Kill Methods: Bury a small margarine container so the rim is level with the soil surface, put an inch of beer in the bottom. Slugs will be attracted by the beer and fall in and drown. Lay thick slabs, (10 - 20 pages), of wet newspaper out in the garden beds at night. In the morning when they've finished munching, they will withdraw to the dark dampness under the paper. Collect by hand or stamp on them in heavy boots, the added satisfaction of revenge! Put a bounty on their heads and send the neighbourhood kids out just after nightfall to collect them for cash.

By Jo

Ammonia Slug Control

This is for slug control. I mix Sudsy Ammonia with water, half and half (they really won't crawl away from this mixture!), or a little more water and put it in a spray bottle. You can spray this solution right onto the flowers and plants and it doesn't hurt them. That way you get all the baby slugs that the mother has lovingly placed to feed on the tender parts! It works great! Happy slugging! By Betty

Feel free to post your ideas for slug control below.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

WE have a sweetgum ball tree and I keep some of the sweetgum balls and put them gently under my hosta plants and other plants the slugs seem to love. They will not crawl across the spiney sweetgum balls as it will cut up their bodys.Over a perid of timethe sweetgum balls dry out and make good mulch in the garden. Works well for me. Hope it works well for you. Connie in Ballwin, Mo

I have tried the beer trick and it really works! But don't forget to empty the bowl daily or it really stinks of dead slugs!

Where do i find the sweet gum balls? Sounds like people have them that want to get rid of them and I am not sure what they look like. Just need some for my hostas.

July 27, 2013 Flag

I love the idea of getting rid of slugs with cucumbers in a pie "tin". My question is can you use the disposable foil tins or do they need to be the real thing?

By G G from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Slug on a Leaf
Getting Rid of Slugs
Home and Garden Pest Control Slugs and SnailsJuly 12, 2011
Keeping Slugs Off Hostas
Keeping Slugs Off Hostas
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
Beer in the Garden
Using Beer in the Garden
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:22:37 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.