Using Ammonia for Slug Control

Used in the proper proportion ammonia to water, many gardeners have had success in controlling slugs by spraying with this mixture. This is a guide about using ammonia for slug control.

This is for slug control. I mix sudsy ammonia with water, half and half (they really won't crawl away from this mixture!), or a little more water and put it in a spray bottle. You can spray this solution right onto the flowers and plants and it doesn't hurt them. That way you get all the baby slugs that the mother has lovingly placed to feed on the tender parts. It works great. Happy slugging!

By Betty

Top Comment

9/25/11 - I read about using ammonia and water spray for slugs yesterday, so decided to give it a try. The slugs are worse this year than ever before. I sprayed a very large slug with 6 parts water to 1 part ammonia. It immediately started to disintegrate. I went out a few minutes later, and it was completely gone.

I had used a bucket of water, ammonia and dish detergent to drown them in and that worked too. But I like the spray better and it works so quickly. I had planted several little mum plants last weekend and the slugs defoliated one of them in one night, blooms and all! The spray didn't seem to hurt my plants at all, so I think the 6-1 ratio is safe for any plants. I've been gardening for over 15 years, and this is the best solution I've found for slugs.

So, you are saying that I can mix this solution up and give all my plants a really good drink, one time per summer, and I should be slug free for the year?? Does it, for sure, not harm my plants? I have some expensive ones that I don't want to lose. What does the ammonia really do?

By Teresa (Guest Post)

I like the idea of getting rid of slugs. They crawl on my french doors all the time and make awful messes. It is so hard to clean up after them too. You can't hardly get the slime off...UUUGGGHHH!!!!

Slugs also hate salt water and stale beer, both of which are less toxic to deal with around kids and pets. I sprayed the outside of my trailer with salt water and cut the population in half--- just in time for my strawberries.

Now does anyone know how to keep the bunnies from eating my rose of sharon shoots?