Tiny Black Bugs in the Kitchen

Category Bugs
The key to getting rid of tiny black bugs on kitchen floor is first identifying what they are. Check out what has worked for others in this guide.

I kept sweeping up little black bugs along one baseboard where I keep my cat's dish and water. I changed the location where I kept his place mat because they were in his water. I sprayed the area with ant spray and put down moth balls, which seemed to work. After a while they were back, after the moth balls disappeared.

Finally, I washed the floor with bleach and I didn't see them. I went in my pantry and moved a bag of brown rice, and there they were! First, I moved everything and put down moth balls. After the moth balls melted, I washed every shelf with bleach. I haven't seen any for two weeks.

I live in northeast Ohio and for the last couple of days we have had these small black bugs in our kitchen. They are mainly on the floor around the baseboards. There are a lot of them. Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

By Mary H.

Answers

I have had these same bugs. I am not sure of the name but I consider them flour weevels. they come in all flour and if you have flour around long enough, they hatch. If you have some old flour, get rid of it, and clean up well.

If they are weevils, the best advice I found to get rid of them was on www.ehow.com. Even after I got rid of all the food the darned things were around for a long time. I managed to get rid of them just before I decided to give up and call an exterminator. Ehow saved me a lot of money!

They are two different types of pantry pests, usually infest old food. Don't forget about old doggie treats. Getting rid of the source and anything they may have infested and thorough cleaning is all that is needed to rid them.

Lar-exterminator

Anonymous

Had the same problem. Went digging through the cupboard they seemed to be coming from and found them all through a bag of those pill sized dog treats my spouse didn't secure the twist tie on. Threw those out and cleaned, hopefully they're gone.

I have the same thing. They are near the baseboard but most are in the kitchen on the window seal. I have seen a few flying but are mostly dead.

the little black bugs I have hang aroundthe light under my kitchen stove and my lamp shade light in the living room when you squeeze them they disappear like ashes

I just found them in noodles and beans I've seen weevels these have wings

Anonymous

Thank you so much!!! I started listing things people said on this thread to my husband when he asked where they might be coming from. Dog biscuits! We forgot all about a box we put up in the pantry. They were eaten through like termites in wood! WOW!!

please share how you got rid of them?

Can verify that - yep - they chew little holes in old pancake mix boxes, and they were having a big ol' party in the old oatmeal container. Wasted $10 on insecticide thinking they were coming through the window frame. Giving cupboard an overdue cleaning right now. Thanks for your answers. Very helpful.

I checked several opened dog treat bags and I had been feeding them for months! So glad I looked this up today.

Omg I am having a huge problem with these little black bugs I am going insane I went and bought different kinds of bug spray that says it treats the area for 12 months I sprayed my entire house when the kids and pets were in bed they were gone for a few days then bam they were again!!! I don't know what to do I am a clean freak and it makes me feel disgusted that they r in my house help me get rid of them!!!!

What are those very small, 1/16 round, with flat bottom, black and some with spots, bugs I've found on my kitchen floor? Usually in large groups. Most are under the dishwasher.

You really have to watch closely to see them move.

By Tracy from Cleveland, OH

Answers

Best Answer

You might look at them with a magnifier, and then research carpet beetles. Good Luck!

Best Answer

They are flour mites. The seek out damp warm places where there is dry food.

I have had these tiny bugs on my kitchen floor for 5 days now. I've used fogger bombs, and boric acid around perimiter of floor. I sweep. They seem to be coming out from fridge and stove sides. Nothing seems to be working. Please help me get rid of them. They don't jump or fly. There are hundreds of them.

By Roxane C.

Answers

Best Answer

We had the same problem and it turned out to be weevils, the tiny bugs that are in flour, rice, grains, etc. We emptied out the pantry and sure enough that is were they were coming from. We threw out the foods that had the bugs, cleaned out the pantry and now they are finally gone. You can google "weevils" and find out how to get rid of these little pests.

I found this bug in my kitchen. I think they came from the balcony and my kitchen is infested with them now. So what is this bug and how do I get rid of it?

Please tell me what these are and how to get rid of them?

By Char from Ogden, UT

Answers

Has anybody told you what they were?? Where have you been finding them?? I have been finding them in my BED!!!

Oh my gosh, my husband & I are also finding these bugs in and around our bed. Can someone please Help!
What are these disgusting little bugs? Where did or do they come from? How can I get them out of our Bedroom ASAP? 

you have bedbugs. Throw your mattress out, wash ALL your linens and clothes, bag them up, and pray. Took me a year to get rid of them.

the bugs i have are on the counter or on the cat dish very small the size of the head of a pin not much bigger i try and kill them but they are to quick . my kitchen is clean what can they be and what can i do

I have these tiny black bugs with a little white marking on the back. they come out from the bottom of the mop boards. I have linoleum floors.

By SH

Answers

When we moved to our new house several years ago we put several large bags of soft clothing and linens in the unfinished basement which was dirt (mountainside slope).

Eventually we determined that we had imported the tiny biting gnat. when we had bought several bags of fertilizer for our newly dug garden upslope (vegetable).

So, if any of our correspondents, have had to attach sticky 'flypaper' tapes to their lampshades or nearby shelves of potted, tell 'em 'way to go'. It is working for us.
bdid1dr (beady eyed wonder)