Tiny Black Bugs in the Kitchen

Category Bugs
The key to getting rid of tiny black bugs on kitchen floor is first identifying what they are. Check out what has worked for others in this guide.

I kept sweeping up little black bugs along one baseboard where I keep my cat's dish and water. I changed the location where I kept his place mat because they were in his water. I sprayed the area with ant spray and put down moth balls, which seemed to work. After a while they were back, after the moth balls disappeared.

Finally, I washed the floor with bleach and I didn't see them. I went in my pantry and moved a bag of brown rice, and there they were! First, I moved everything and put down moth balls. After the moth balls melted, I washed every shelf with bleach. I haven't seen any for two weeks.

Top Comment

I think I found the name of the little bugs, Drugstore Beetles

I live in northeast Ohio and for the last couple of days we have had these small black bugs in our kitchen. They are mainly on the floor around the baseboards. There are a lot of them. Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

By Mary H.

Answers

Best Answer

I have had these same bugs. I am not sure of the name but I consider them flour weevels. they come in all flour and if you have flour around long enough, they hatch. If you have some old flour, get rid of it, and clean up well.

Best Answer

They are two different types of pantry pests, usually infest old food. Don't forget about old doggie treats. Getting rid of the source and anything they may have infested and thorough cleaning is all that is needed to rid them.
Lar-exterminator

Best Answer

I know this post is old, but wanted to comment because it lead me to what my problem was. Cigarette Beetles! The name is misleading, and I assure you I do not smoke. These beetles will eat any type of food. They also will play dead for a few seconds when disturbed. Their heads are rather small giving them a round, dome shape. They are brownish/reddish upon inspecting more closely. They can also fly.

I believe we got them from bring produce home from the farmers market.

What are those very small, 1/16 round, with flat bottom, black and some with spots, bugs I've found on my kitchen floor? Usually in large groups. Most are under the dishwasher.

You really have to watch closely to see them move.

By Tracy from Cleveland, OH

Answers

Best Answer

You might look at them with a magnifier, and then research carpet beetles. Good Luck!

Best Answer

They are flour mites. The seek out damp warm places where there is dry food.

Best Answer

I don't see a picture. If they are around your dishwasher, you have some kind of a leak. You need to have your dishwasher pulled out to see what is going on and fix it.

Save the bugs and put them in a sealed plastic bag. Bring to a place that sells pesticides. They will help you identify it. When you eliminate food and water resources you will get rid of the bugs.

I have had these tiny bugs on my kitchen floor for 5 days now. I've used fogger bombs, and boric acid around perimiter of floor. I sweep. They seem to be coming out from fridge and stove sides. Nothing seems to be working. Please help me get rid of them. They don't jump or fly. There are hundreds of them.

By Roxane C.

Answers

Best Answer

We had the same problem and it turned out to be weevils, the tiny bugs that are in flour, rice, grains, etc. We emptied out the pantry and sure enough that is were they were coming from.

We threw out the foods that had the bugs, cleaned out the pantry and now they are finally gone. You can google "weevils" and find out how to get rid of these little pests.

Best Answer

Unfortunately, the eggs turn up in bread and flour products -- a reaction against aggressive spraying of pesticides. You can avoid the critters: "freeze" the products for forty-eight hours. You can't freeze some bread, so I keep it in the refrigerator.

Please tell me what these are and how to get rid of them?

By Char from Ogden, UT

Answers

Best Answer

You have bedbugs. Throw your mattress out, wash ALL your linens and clothes, bag them up, and pray.

Took me a year to get rid of them.

I have these tiny black bugs with a little white marking on the back. they come out from the bottom of the mop boards. I have linoleum floors.

By SH

Answers

Best Answer

When we moved to our new house several years ago we put several large bags of soft clothing and linens in the unfinished basement which was dirt (mountainside slope).

Eventually we determined that we had imported the tiny biting gnat. when we had bought several bags of fertilizer for our newly dug garden upslope (vegetable).

So, if any of our correspondents, have had to attach sticky 'flypaper' tapes to their lampshades or nearby shelves of potted, tell 'em 'way to go'. It is working for us.
bdid1dr (beady eyed wonder)

I found this bug in my kitchen. I think they came from the balcony and my kitchen is infested with them now. So what is this bug and how do I get rid of it?

Answers

Identifying bugs from photos is not always that simple. However, you can do this:

Step 1
Trap the bug in a plastic bag. Don't kill it, but keep it alive.

Step 2
Visit your local pest control company in your area.

Step 3
Show them the bug and ask them to identify this bug for you.

Step 4
Find out if there is an easy way for you to spray for this bug.

Step 5
If not, make an appoint with the company to spray your home for these bugs.

looks kind of like a powder post beetle?

Actually im planning to that, i'm just asking to collect more information about what i'm facing and dealing with here.

I think it's kind of beetles but not the one that you mentioned here cuz it's has nothing to do with wood and it's not samller to what im dealing with, what im dealing with is smaller than this one.

Here's the original pictures without zooming in

I have these SAME bugs in the rental I live in plus little tiny black dot looking bugs everywhere on floors here. Been here ever since I moved in over a year ago, especially against the bottom outside edge of the tub around the caulking where they can get thru. They end up on my bedapreads, sofa, loveseat ..everywhere close enough to end up from the floor on the surface of furniture. It grosses me out because I am ENDLESSLY dealing with wiping, sweeping, vacuuming and obsessively trying to keep my 3 yr. old little girl from playing with her toys that might need to be wiped off first from these PESTS! I'm just SICK SICK SICK of the daily seemingly hopeless task of trying to keep these things off of our things just to sit down or do anything without having to WORRY over where they r each second. Any luck identifying that tiny "leaf" looking thing?