Tiny Black Bugs in Kitchen

I live in northeast Ohio and for the last couple of days we have had these small black bugs in our kitchen. They are mainly on the floor around the baseboards. There are a lot of them. Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

By Mary H.

Best Answer

I have had these same bugs. I am not sure of the name but I consider them flour weevels. they come in all flour and if you have flour around long enough, they hatch. If you have some old flour, get rid of it, and clean up well.

I just found them in noodles and beans I've seen weevels these have wings

Omg I am having a huge problem with these little black bugs I am going insane I went and bought different kinds of bug spray that says it treats the area for 12 months I sprayed my entire house when the kids and pets were in bed they were gone for a few days then bam they were again!!! I don't know what to do I am a clean freak and it makes me feel disgusted that they r in my house help me get rid of them!!!!

Do they fly as well?

Best Answer

They are two different types of pantry pests, usually infest old food. Don't forget about old doggie treats. Getting rid of the source and anything they may have infested and thorough cleaning is all that is needed to rid them.

Lar-exterminator

I have done all of the above he found them infesting our pantry inside the boxes that were not even open yet they had made holes in some of the boxes and got inside through plastic even now I am finding they are flying and went from being around just the baseboards and on the floor to being in our furniture! I have cleaned with bleach I have used Ortho Home Defense insect killer kills all common household bugs up to 12 month protection non-staining order free dries fast long lasting Bug Barrier and you can use it on carpets and upholstery this has not worked they are literally like unkillable unless I squish them myself. I pulled the cushions off of my couch, where I have been sleeping lately because my daughter is sick, and I found to my surprise the whole entire couch had them embedded into the fabric. Last night I cleaned very heavily along the baseboards brushed out and vacuumed the entire couch and got rid of all of the cushions and put them into the garage except for the three obviously I had to sleep on. I covered the whole entire couch with three layers of fabric including a thick comforter and two sheets. One being a fitted sheet because I thought that they would not be able to get through if I had missed any this morning I woke up to a whole different situation in general the little black beetle looking bugs that are tinier than my two-year-old daughter's pinky fingernail we're gone but are still in the kitchen and on the couch there was a type of worm Ashley I still there I can't afford an exterminator.

I'm going to enclose a picture of the worm type bugs that popped up on my sheet and comforter and my whole entire back of my couch and wall I am hoping someone can identify what both of these bugs are the small black bugs and the worms so I can find the proper way to go about killing them. Thank you to anyone who has an answer we have had to start storing everything in our refrigerator because not even Ziploc bags will keep them out I have cleaned everything even in between the stove and the countertops the dishwasher behind the dishwasher and all of the cabinets and this has been becoming quite a chore, not only do I sweep and mop the floors every day with a mixture of bleach water to the point where my eyes burn but I am spraying the perimeter and window frames of my house with bugl)1spray and daily and it's nothing is getting rid of these bugs and now"'

Best Answer

I know this post is old, but wanted to comment because it lead me to what my problem was. Cigarette Beetles! The name is misleading, and I assure you I do not smoke. These beetles will eat any type of food. They also will play dead for a few seconds when disturbed. Their heads are rather small giving them a round, dome shape. They are brownish/reddish upon inspecting more closely. They can also fly.

I believe we got them from bring produce home from the farmers market.

If they are weevils, the best advice I found to get rid of them was on www.ehow.com. Even after I got rid of all the food the darned things were around for a long time. I managed to get rid of them just before I decided to give up and call an exterminator. Ehow saved me a lot of money!

the little black bugs I have hang aroundthe light under my kitchen stove and my lamp shade light in the living room when you squeeze them they disappear like ashes

please share how you got rid of them?

You can buy stuff out amazon to get rid of them personally i use salt i luke warm water and wait to disolf x spray gun spray it on the floor boards or wer you get them x then i wash floor with bleach remove animal food every night not eaten b4 bed time will stop them lookin to re produce

Anonymous

Had the same problem. Went digging through the cupboard they seemed to be coming from and found them all through a bag of those pill sized dog treats my spouse didn't secure the twist tie on.

Threw those out and cleaned, hopefully they're gone.

Anonymous

Thank you so much!!! I started listing things people said on this thread to my husband when he asked where they might be coming from. Dog biscuits! We forgot all about a box we put up in the pantry. They were eaten through like termites in wood! WOW!!

I checked several opened dog treat bags and I had been feeding them for months! So glad I looked this up today.

Omg thanks so much! I had so many of these bugs and had no clue where they were coming from. Then after reading one of this posts I remember I had bought oatmeal, went directly to the pantry and voila: that's where they were all coming from!

Thank you!!! These have been driving me nuts for a week or so. I thought they were sluggish fruit flies. After reading this I realize a neighbor had given me a large box of dog treats a week ago, it was on a shelf in my kitchen- opened it and found the source of the bugs!

I have taken it to the garbage and am heavily cleaning all surrounding areas.

I have the same thing. They are near the baseboard but most are in the kitchen on the window seal. I have seen a few flying but are mostly dead.

Can verify that - yep - they chew little holes in old pancake mix boxes, and they were having a big ol' party in the old oatmeal container. Wasted $10 on insecticide thinking they were coming through the window frame. Giving cupboard an overdue cleaning right now. Thanks for your answers. Very helpful.

Checked all my dog biscuits, yup Milk Bone dog biscuits were hatching the little buggers. Always happens in the summer and I could never pin it down until the dog treat comment. The look on my dog's face was of desperation when I tossed them. Flour weevils maybe freezing them in the box before opening might help.

These look exactly like the one's I've been seeing in my cabinet, and on the counters. Now I've learned that they chewed through my craker package. I took everything out of the cabinet, they're even in the salt shaker ! They don't fly though. But they are disgusting ! How can I get rid of them ?

That's them ! Next to the penny. What are they ? How can I get rid of them ? I've lived here 21/2 yrs and this is the first time seeing them. They get in boxes. And chew through paper. They're disgusting ! They don't fly.