Identifying Small Black Bugs

Category Insects
Having unidentified insects infesting your home can be annoying. It helps to know what kind they are when determining the best way to be rid of them. This is a page about identifying small black bugs.

I spent some considerable amount of money until I realized that I had to identify the bugs myself. I have not found an exterminator with identification capability. Why should they, because they came keep coming back and back and charge and charge.

Buy a USB digital microscope. The better ones are $100, the others are anywhere from $30 to $60.00 Once you can get an image, send it to your local university, who will identify the picture you send them. Then you have to research how to kill them.

How can I identify these tiny bugs that are almost invisible, although they are black? We have almost white carpeting in most of the rooms and you have to look very closely to see them. When you are just ready to pick them up, they begin to move. I now use the method of getting them on paper and then placing them in an tight used medicine bottle. Some live for weeks some so tiny the look like this: ( . ) others looks like tiny beetles. You don't notice they have wings until they are turned upside down.

I cannot see legs, nor antenna, just this ( . ).

They have been found mostly by our PC tower, others in the master bedroom. I am going zonkers trying to find out if I need an exterminator and are they dangerous to our health. Anyone, someone, please help or refer me to an authority on bugs. The exterminators will not come out unless you identify them, dud, I can't. Thank you and please help.

By CR

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like you have either a flea infestation (Note fleas are very small but do not fly they jump) or the start of a termite infestation. Best thing to do either way is bomb fog your whole house. Good luck.

Best Answer

I think your problem is even simpler than you think. First if you have an extension agent for your area he will usually come out or you can take him a sample of the bugs and if he doesn't know he will send them to the state university, free, and they will identify them.

But, I think you have a mold problem and these bugs only eat mold, hard to see but with a bright light you probably can see the tiny things on the wall and when the light gets near them they will move. I had to use bleach just a little in a spray bottle will do and they are gone, if you do have mold then you have moisture and that is your big problem. You will have booklice or mold bugs as long as moisture creates mold. I thought I was crazy when I found them on my brand new house with white walls, almost like black spots but they moved if you stared long enough. Smile, this did go away with a little staying with the spray. And a dehumidifier on the ac because our house was too airtight.

Since last fall, when I purchased a new bed spread, I have been plagued by tiny (head of a pin) black bugs. They live in my bed, which I have sprayed so much I have sinus problems. There is the tiny black stage. There is the cloth and larvae stage, the feeding on the sheets stage, and the depositing stage (they have a drain field of "or and" spots 6 to 12 inches X 4 inches. The University of Minnesota saw no insects, the building management said it was in my mind; the pest control, well, I can't say here. I have pictures.

By Bob R from Plymouth, MN

Answers

Best Answer

The next time you see these black bugs, try using some Scotch tape to grab a few (try not to crush them). Stick your sample to an index card. Show this to an entomologist or professional pest control person.

For eradication (once you identify them), I suggest contacting a professional pest control company.

I walked into my bathroom (small bathroom with no window that's able to open) to notice a black spot on the wall about a inch and a half wide. I got closer to realize it was a cluster of little black bugs! They move like worms. Does anyone have any idea what these are?

By KaleyM from US.

Answers

Best Answer

I just saw this tonight. If they're wormlike, they might be maggots, which turn into flies. There might be a water problem in that spot, and flies lay eggs in water. The eggs hatch into maggots. Kill the maggots and try to fix the wetness, if any. I've seen them on the bathroom sink counter, if water splashes behind the faucet and puddles there, for instance, in hot muggy weather. It only takes a day or so for them to appear. I wash them down the drain with hot, hot water. I have to remember to dry up stray splashes on muggy days.

Can anyone help me identify this little bug? I first saw them on the pantry floor and now I find them all over my first floor. The house is only 4 months old. They don't fly, just crawl.

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like some kind of beetle. Make sure all food is wrapped up, and check for any moisture or leaks.

Best Answer

Looks to me like a granary weevil. Dispose of old, out dated flour, rice, cereals, dry beans, etc.

Thoroughly vacuum the carpet and mop the flooring. Wipe down the shelves in the pantry.

One day all of sudden I found 4 to 5 small black insects in my room. The same day I cleaned each and every corner of my room, every piece of furniture. But the next day I again found 4 of these insects in my room. They are slow and climb the walls.

Answers

Best Answer

They look like a small house beetle that come inside for the winter to get out of the cold. If they still sell house bombs, I'd set off a few of them in your home and leave for a few hours. That should do the trick.

Best Answer

Killing a few will help, but you need to find where they are coming in. If you have access to the basement, it might be time to seal the floor edges where they meet the wall.

And check the windows, as well. If you put some double back tape on the window sills and the corners of the room, it might capture them and you can see where they are coming in.

Also check the vents. If you think they are coming in through there, stretch some old panty hose over the grate and that will keep them out, too.

I've noticed these tiny black bugs in our bathrooms and a few in the kitchen over the past few weeks. They were even in folded towels in the linen cupboard. We've lived in our house almost 20 years and have never seen them before. What are they? How can we get rid of them?

Answers

Best Answer

There are much safer ways to get rid of gnats than spraying them with a bug spray. I would rather go the homemade way than buy the sprays and get sick.

In a jar mix some apple cider vinegar with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Put the jar in the areas that you are seeing the gnats and fruit flies in your home. Once they go in the jar and they will because the smell attracts them they can't get out again because the dish soap holds them in the liquid and they drown.

These are cheap and easy to make and you should make several of them for your home.

Best Answer

I believe this is a rice weevil. They are harmless to humans (other than eating the grains in your pantry!) Check your flour, rice, cornbread, etc. containers. Another thought: do you have one of those rice-filled shoulder/neck heating packs stored in your bath or bedroom? Good luck!

I recently moved and after a few days of living in the new house I started to notice small black bugs crawling on my sheets. I wasn't sure what they were, but I washed my sheets and yet I still see these bugs. I don't see them anywhere else in the house just on my bed. I've googled for hours, but can't seem to find what they are! Someone please help so I know how to get rid of them!

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like a ground beetle to me and they are usually okay in the garden but not so nice in the house. They are getting on your sheets because they are attracted to light and your white or light colored sheets may be confusing them.

• It is best to vacuum them or pick them off with a rag and ditch in a closed garbage container.
  • You should try to look around and see if there are any holes in screens or leaks in windows where they could be coming in. They will seek out light anywhere they find it.
  • Sites recommend changing any outdoor lights to yellow bulbs and do not leave on unless very necessary.
  • These bugs may be around the foundation of your house and like to accumulate in piles of leaves or wood.
  • There are insecticides available at most box stores as well as online but I would not use them unless you find you cannot remove them safely from your home.
  • You can use Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) in your house and it will kill these beetles but is not a fast acting solution. Diatomaceous Earth is a broad spectrum desiccant dust that can be used for long lasting control of crawling insects. Diatoms are harmless against humans and pets and are completely natural.
  • bugguide.net/.../bgimage
  • homyden.com/.../

I was hoping someone would know what these little black bugs are. I have never seen them in the house before. I found them in the kitchen and on windows sills.

Answers

Best Answer

they are probably grain beetles

Anyone know what this insect is? It's in my dining room and driving me crazy. I just noticed it yesterday, it doesn't have wings. I have vacuumed and mopped and am deep cleaning everything, but am still seeing some.

Answers

It looks like some kind of beetle. Put a few in a plastic bag and take it to a place that sells pesticides.

It looks like a silverfish to me. They like to hide out in damp and dark places. If you google them, you'll find several suggestions on how to get rid of them. Good luck!

I am trying to identify a bug. It is pure black, a little bigger than a straight pin head, non biting, and loves window light facing north. They are always crawling, but if disturbed fly and try to hide in the curtains. They disappear when the sun goes down. The next day a lot of dead ones are on the sills and a lot on the window. If I wipe them with bleach saturated paper towels I still get more the next day. I read all of TFun advice, but none fit my black bugs so far. This is the second year they've appeared. Hopefully someone can identify them for me. I can't add a photo since it's 10 pm and they've disappeared to where I don't know. Thanks in advance.

Answers

What are the very small,(1/16) of an inch, thin, flat, fast crawling,
dark color,bugs that I sometimes see in my window sill, and sometimes other places in my apt. They are hard to smash!

What is this?

Answers

Best Answer

These are hard-shelled beetles and they are a pain. You don't need to worry about them and it is easy to get rid of them with some sticky flypaper. That is what I use here because I have animals and hate to spray for bugs.

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is?

It is a very small dark brown to black beetle like bug. I've searched images and am not coming up with anything conclusive. The area that I wrote on is approximately 2 inches just to give an idea of how small this thing was.

Can anyone help me identify what bug or mites are making me itch. I feel a crawling in my scalp and body. It seems to get worse when I'm in bed.

I found them in my cupboard, cleaned it and there were just a couple of them. I now find them randomly on my bedsheet. This is a very recent discovery though! I always keep my room super clean and there is no food in my room either. I am not sure what to do about them. Are these the bugs which get attracted to light and have no purpose, but to annoy humans with their presence?

I've found these little black bugs in my bathroom the past 2-3 summers. I've noticed a few in my bedroom lately too; the bathroom is connected to bedroom. I have no idea what they are, but they bother me so much! They are super tiny, black bugs. They don't fly or bite that I've noticed. We have someone professionally spray our house in the fall and spring, I have sprayed in the bathroom and bedroom with good bug killing stuff, but yet cannot get rid of them. Please help!

I now see there are tiny black itchy bug, how do I treat? They are outside, inside, and getting in my hair.

Answers

Without a picture, it's hard to identify. Put the bugs in a sealed plastic bag. Take it to a place that sells pesticides and they can help. You can also send a picture to your local Cooperative Extension.

I don't know but maybe fleas or bedbugs? I know diatomaceous earth gets rid of many insects including fleas. Maybe look into it to see if you're comfortable using it.

DE diascanthous earth. FOOD GRADE Amazon sells it. Put it where you see the bugs. The DE dries them up. Its safe for humans and dogs and cats to eat. Vacuum it up after few days. Reapply. Same

What are these? I am finding them on kitchen counters and the couch. I have a 5 month old baby. They look like microscopic ants or fleas, but it is definitely not a flea. Should we be concerned?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsJuly 27, 2015
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-08 10:14:30 in 10 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️