Identifying Small Black Bugs

Category Insects
Having unidentified insects infesting your home can be annoying. It helps to know what kind they are when determining the best way to be rid of them. This is a guide about identifying small black bugs.

I spent some considerable amount of money until I realized that I had to identify the bugs myself. I have not found an exterminator with identification capability. Why should they, because they came keep coming back and back and charge and charge.

Buy a USB digital microscope. The better ones are $100, the others are anywhere from $30 to $60.00 Once you can get an image, send it to your local university, who will identify the picture you send them. Then you have to research how to kill them.

The key to getting rid of tiny black bugs on kitchen floor is first identifying what they are. Check out what has worked for others in this guide.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

How can I identify these tiny bugs that are almost invisible, although they are black? We have almost white carpeting in most of the rooms and you have to look very closely to see them. When you are just ready to pick them up, they begin to move. I now use the method of getting them on paper and then placing them in an tight used medicine bottle. Some live for weeks some so tiny the look like this: ( . ) others looks like tiny beetles. You don't notice they have wings until they are turned upside down.

I cannot see legs, nor antenna, just this ( . ).

They have been found mostly by our PC tower, others in the master bedroom. I am going zonkers trying to find out if I need an exterminator and are they dangerous to our health. Anyone, someone, please help or refer me to an authority on bugs. The exterminators will not come out unless you identify them, dud, I can't. Thank you and please help.

By CR

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like you have either a flea infestation (Note fleas are very small but do not fly they jump) or the start of a termite infestation. Best thing to do either way is bomb fog your whole house. Good luck.

Best Answer

I think your problem is even simpler than you think. First if you have an extension agent for your area he will usually come out or you can take him a sample of the bugs and if he doesn't know he will send them to the state university, free, and they will identify them.

But, I think you have a mold problem and these bugs only eat mold, hard to see but with a bright light you probably can see the tiny things on the wall and when the light gets near them they will move. I had to use bleach just a little in a spray bottle will do and they are gone, if you do have mold then you have moisture and that is your big problem. You will have booklice or mold bugs as long as moisture creates mold. I thought I was crazy when I found them on my brand new house with white walls, almost like black spots but they moved if you stared long enough. Smile, this did go away with a little staying with the spray. And a dehumidifier on the ac because our house was too airtight.

Since last fall, when I purchased a new bed spread, I have been plagued by tiny (head of a pin) black bugs. They live in my bed, which I have sprayed so much I have sinus problems. There is the tiny black stage. There is the cloth and larvae stage, the feeding on the sheets stage, and the depositing stage (they have a drain field of "or and" spots 6 to 12 inches X 4 inches. The University of Minnesota saw no insects, the building management said it was in my mind; the pest control, well, I can't say here. I have pictures.

By Bob R from Plymouth, MN

Answers

Best Answer

The next time you see these black bugs, try using some Scotch tape to grab a few (try not to crush them). Stick your sample to an index card. Show this to an entomologist or professional pest control person.

For eradication (once you identify them), I suggest contacting a professional pest control company.

I walked into my bathroom (small bathroom with no window that's able to open) to notice a black spot on the wall about a inch and a half wide. I got closer to realize it was a cluster of little black bugs! They move like worms. Does anyone have any idea what these are?

By KaleyM from US.

Answers

Best Answer

I just saw this tonight. If they're wormlike, they might be maggots, which turn into flies. There might be a water problem in that spot, and flies lay eggs in water. The eggs hatch into maggots. Kill the maggots and try to fix the wetness, if any. I've seen them on the bathroom sink counter, if water splashes behind the faucet and puddles there, for instance, in hot muggy weather. It only takes a day or so for them to appear. I wash them down the drain with hot, hot water. I have to remember to dry up stray splashes on muggy days.

One day all of sudden I found 4 to 5 small black insects in my room. The same day I cleaned each and every corner of my room, every piece of furniture.

But the next day I again found 4 of these insects in my room. They are slow and climb the walls.

Answers

Best Answer

They look like a small house beetle that come inside for the winter to get out of the cold. If they still sell house bombs, I'd set off a few of them in your home and leave for a few hours. That should do the trick.

Best Answer

Killing a few will help, but you need to find where they are coming in. If you have access to the basement, it might be time to seal the floor edges where they meet the wall.

And check the windows, as well. If you put some double back tape on the window sills and the corners of the room, it might capture them and you can see where they are coming in.

Also check the vents. If you think they are coming in through there, stretch some old panty hose over the grate and that will keep them out, too.

Can anyone help me identify this little bug? I first saw them on the pantry floor and now I find them all over my first floor. The house is only 4 months old. They don't fly, just crawl.

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like some kind of beetle. Make sure all food is wrapped up, and check for any moisture or leaks.

Best Answer

Looks to me like a granary weevil. Dispose of old, out dated flour, rice, cereals, dry beans, etc. Thoroughly vacuum the carpet and mop the flooring. Wipe down the shelves in the pantry.

I was hoping someone would know what these little black bugs are. I have never seen them in the house before. I found them in the kitchen and on windows sills.

Answers

Best Answer

they are probably grain beetles

I am trying to identify a bug. It is pure black, a little bigger than a straight pin head, non biting, and loves window light facing north. They are always crawling, but if disturbed fly and try to hide in the curtains. They disappear when the sun goes down. The next day a lot of dead ones are on the sills and a lot on the window. If I wipe them with bleach saturated paper towels I still get more the next day. I read all of TFun advice, but none fit my black bugs so far. This is the second year they've appeared. Hopefully someone can identify them for me. I can't add a photo since it's 10 pm and they've disappeared to where I don't know. Thanks in advance.

Answers

What are the very small,(1/16) of an inch, thin, flat, fast crawling,
dark color,bugs that I sometimes see in my window sill, and sometimes other places in my apt. They are hard to smash!

Anyone know what this insect is? It's in my dining room and driving me crazy. I just noticed it yesterday, it doesn't have wings. I have vacuumed and mopped and am deep cleaning everything, but am still seeing some.

Answers

It looks like some kind of beetle. Put a few in a plastic bag and take it to a place that sells pesticides.

This summer, the entire house is dealing with these teeny little black hard-shelled bugs. They are about the size of a pencil-point, slightly oval, with wings that protrude out from under the back end of their shells. They crawl more than they fly, but they can fly, and spend most of their energy getting close to lamps, windows, or any source of water. (If you leave even a drop of water in the bottom of a glass in the bathroom, you're sure to find one or two of these little critters in there when you return.)

They don't seem terribly interested in food or in the kitchen areas (other than the windowsills and the sink) so I don't think they're flour weevils; they don't bite (that I know of) and they're too small to be bedbugs; and they're too slow-moving and hard-shelled to be silverfish. (To kill them, you have to smush them. Like, hard.)

They die fairly quickly, and never get any bigger than the size of a pin-head. They're more an annoyance than anything, but I sure would like to know what they are.

We're in a Midwest city, and we've had lots of rain this year, with daytime temps about 80 on average. Not sure if that's relevant.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I now see there are tiny black itchy bug, how do I treat? They are outside, inside, and getting in my hair.

Answers

Without a picture, it's hard to identify. Put the bugs in a sealed plastic bag. Take it to a place that sells pesticides and they can help. You can also send a picture to your local Cooperative Extension.

I don't know but maybe fleas or bedbugs? I know diatomaceous earth gets rid of many insects including fleas...Maybe look into it to see if youre comfortable using it

DE diascanthous earth. FOOD GRADE Amazon sells it. Put it where you see the bugs. The DE dries them up. Its safe for humans and dogs and cats to eat. Vacuum it up after few days. Reapply. Same

There are these really small but that I don't know what they are I usually see them in the corner on my base board in my room please help asap

These little guys are starting to appear in our formal living room. It is a colder room than normal and has lots of natural light. We started noticing them 1 week ago, now, I can't not see them. They are very small and very slow moving. Any ideas?

Can anyone please help identify bugs that have been found on wooden furniture in the children's bedroom under a metal midsleeper bed. Nothing can be found on the mattresses. There are no bite marks either. We have had some damp issues. I have some images that I hope will help. They are black and I have also seen some that appear white/translucent under direct light.

I've found these little black bugs in my bathroom the past 2-3 summers. I've noticed a few in my bedroom lately too; the bathroom is connected to bedroom. I have no idea what they are, but they bother me so much! They are super tiny, black bugs. They don't fly or bite that I've noticed. We have someone professionally spray our house in the fall and spring, I have sprayed in the bathroom and bedroom with good bug killing stuff, but yet cannot get rid of them. Please help!

Could you please identify the type of bug this is? There are a pack of them on my balcony. I would like to know how to get rid of them also. Whatever you could do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

This is a really bad picture, I can't tell whether it is a ladybug, a bedbug, or a stinkbug. We would need to know:

1) its size (maybe photo it next to a penny)
2) its shape
3) its colour (either a better photo or tell us)
4) its activities (fly? crawl? etc)

I suggest you resubmit a photo for a better answer

What are these small black bugs in my house? They are in the kitchen, in my basement, and around the front door. The exterminator said it is a confused flour bug, but I don't think he's right. I have looked them up and they don't look the same. They only seem interested in water.

These bugs are everywhere near my countertop, sink, and windows. What are they? They are tiny and seem like curved oval balls. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

I thought my kitty had somehow managed to catch fleas even though she is strictly an indoor cat. I've noticed her scratching a lot lately, but I don't see any flea symptoms on her. Recently at night when I lay on my bed I feel really tiny insects jumping all over me, but I have no bite marks. I did the flea water test but no fleas, just some bugs that look like fruit flies. Any ideas? It's really annoying to feel these things jumping all over you. I live in a ground floor apartment.

Answers

There are many conditions that people assume are cat or dog flea bites and itching. However, the bites and itching are often from many other bugs or conditions, including mites, mosquitos, dandruff or highly contagious skin mites (that do not bite but move in under the skin and eat the keratin, etc., irritating the skin). Some people try to cure itching and skin problems with one home method or another to save money but are usually unsuccessful because they do not know the exact cause of the problem, try useless remedies, and their cat or dog just continues to suffer. By the time they finally take their poor animals to the vet, the problem is much more serious and requires more expensive care. So they then complain about "expensive" vet care.

I recently read a woman's tip to prevent bed bugs from coming into her bed. She placed unused dryer sheets on each corner, under the bottom sheet. She explained that bed bugs do not like the smell of dryer sheets so avoid the bed. Bed bugs do not have the ability to smell anything as they do not have the required smell apparatus (my husband is an entomologist). Bed Bugs are only attracted by an animal's body heat so, as we humans spend alot of time in bed, the bugs home in and stay in our beds.

Please, if you are not absolutely 100% correct about a problem and cure for your pet, do not try strange remedies as the suffering continues, will become worse, and may endanger your pet's life!

Anonymous

It doesn't matter if your cast is strictly an indoor cat, she still needs to be treated monthly with a flea/tick repellent. My cat is also strictly an indoor cat and we right we could skip one summer... We couldn't. You could've just called the vet and asked if you needed to treat it and they would've told you YES! What you're describing sounds EXACTLY like what we went through when our at had fleas( they were only in the rooms our cat layed in, not bed). If they have infested your sheets, you have a serious problem