Getting Rid of Invisible Biting Bugs

Category Insects
When you are having trouble identifying what insect is biting you, they can be difficult to get rid of. This is a guide about getting rid of invisible biting bugs.

Use Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser while showering and they won't bite that night.

I stay at my boyfriend's house on the weekends and I can't go a single night without getting bit. My boyfriend never gets bit. This has been going on for a few months now. I thought it was fleas because his mom has 3 dogs that aren't properly bathed or groomed, but the dogs are downstairs and do not go upstairs, where his room is.

Some nights aren't bad, but some nights, like tonight, are really bad and I get bit 15+ times and can't sleep because I'm constantly scratching.

We have done several things to try and get rid of the bugs. We've done DIY flea traps (never caught anything), we've used flea and other bugs powder for the carpets, we've put baking soda all in the carpet (another thing I read online that works better than flea powder), we've sprayed the room, washed all blankets and pillow cases, vacuumed, vacuumed, and vacuumed again, and we're about to do it all over again with washing everything vacuuming and spraying the room.

There's no way it's bed bugs. We have taken flashlights and searched all over the room, edges of carpet, the bed, everything. We've searched many times and have never seen a single bug. My boyfriend also has an air mattress, not a normal one. There are no bugs whatsoever on or in his mattress. It has to be the carpet.

I'm the only one getting bitten and it's driving me crazy. I barely get any sleep at night and my boyfriend has to listen to me complain about these phantom bugs. It's putting a strain in our relationship. I want these bugs evicted, but we can't even figure out what they are. We're trying and it's really hard.

We've ruled out bed bugs, mosquitos, and spiders. There's no way I could get bit for months and never seen a web, a bed bug, or a mosquito flying around.

Also, it's only when I'm sleeping. We can lay on the bed and watch TV and never get bit. But the second I fall asleep I'm getting bit. We also work late nights and sleep all morning, some afternoons so it's not like these bugs are nocturnal, unless they're also on our sleep schedule.

Please help me try to figure out what's biting me, and what I can do about it. These bugs constantly have me in tears from sleepless nights. I'm going crazy. Nothing is working.
Thank you in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

You may indeed have a flea problem even if the dogs do not visit the bedroom. Fleas and flea eggs can travel via your boyfriend, you and anyone else who enters the room, however quickly and at any time, day or nite. My husband, an entomologist, is not bothered by fleas, but I attract them like bees to flowers. The information below will help you understand what is happening.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet or fell off of you and other people. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog or you.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

The only way you will become flea free is to treat the dogs with flea killers. This will take time for the flea treatments to work and money for the medications. I strongly suggest having the dogs checked for fleas and any other medical problems and then treat the dogs with prescription medication. Over the counter flea products are not strong enough to deal with the uncontrolled flea infestation in the house.

Good Luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

I recommend Ivermectin for mites. I believe you can get it in pill form for human use, but they make a gel for horses that is much cheaper and still safe for people to use. My family got it for $3 on Amazon ("Apple flavor" but tastes nasty). My mom and I were both being bitten all over during the day and even more at night. I couldn't see the bugs, but my mom was finding tiny white dots that would bite and then jump off.

The Ivermectin helped a lot. We also put all of our furniture, clothes, mattresses, and bedding outside in the Texas summer sun under plastic sheeting, used diatomaceous earth, sprayed everything regularly with rubbing alcohol, including ourselves, kept floors clean and vaccumed, cleaned out gutters, sprayed the yard, and treated our dogs with sulfur and flea collars. After 2 months of all of this the bugs were gone.

I keep finding little bug bites on my 3 year old's arms, I have searched her bed and no bugs, checked my cat and no bugs. Somehow these bug bites continue to appear each morning so something is biting her and then disappearing. I took her to the doctor and she said looks like a flea bite but I just can't seem to find them! How can I deter any and all bugs from biting her at night?

By Sonia H.

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

It appears to be a demodex mite I have had the same issue tea tree and alcohol give the most relief put tea tree in the washer when washing clothes also

Best Answer

You certainly aren't crazy!
I tired many things after ordering bed protectors.
I was losing sleep anxious and scratching constantly!
The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO...
MATTRESS & BOX SPRING ENCASEMENTS!
You can get them at Walmart and that along with vacuuming daily will allow you to actually relax and sleep.
It took me a few day to let go of the fear. After the second night I slept with no bitting!
Be sure you don't allow your sheets or covers to touch the ground or you are giving them a free ride up to YOU!
I read on one site they come out at 4am to feed and sure enough they do!
We just pushed the clock forward for daylight savings time and MITES don't have that. So I was being bit at 5am
Good Luck!

My mom has been experiencing a sensation of bugs crawling and jumping on her skin. She thinks it's fleas. We tried bombing and got the house fumigated 3 times. We moved, but the pest still linger. She can't see them, but there are tiny black specs everywhere when she vacuums. The bites look like mosquito bites and they don't seem to be red. Is there any advice you could give her?

We've been dealing with these things for a year now. Here's some background info. We think we got it from a friend's neighbor who has a lot of cats and had to be hoarding fleas for at least 20 years. My mom thinks it is a new kind of flea that's immune to everything. If anyone could please help or see if they found a solution to this problem so my mom doesn't have to suffer anymore. We also tried Windexing everything that didn't help. We even got rid of all the furniture and now have to sleep on inflatable beds, but they still stick. Also apparently they will find shelter in anything including electronics such as TVs and even phones. We also tried boric acid, but that has no effect either. So anything that's helped someone?

Answers

Best Answer

Please take your mom to her doctor now and explain the problem in the detail you have provided here. You must accompany your mother in the doctor's office visit to fully describe all that has been happening. A very good idea is to copy your description of the problem here to Thrifty Fun and give it to the doctor in your visit.

Your mom may have a medical problem that the doctor can provide effective treatment to help.

Best Answer

I agree. And if she needs to sleep on an inflatable mattress that is fine but...and please take this with the utmost respect and compassion...you need to be comfortable. This is most likely not a real infestation.
I just had to advise a young woman who thought that gnats were following her that she might have a chemical imbalance that is causing her to see what no one else can see.

There is no new strain of fleas. I am so sorry you are going through this. But DCA is right. I hope she gets better and you all can get some rest.

PS: I just checked with www.web.md and there isn't even a catagory for this.

Best Answer

Your mother may indeed believe she "feels" the bugs, however, she must see her doctor immediately. Her doctor can examine the places on her body where she thinks the bugs have been biting. She/he can then provide medication to treat the bite areas and prevent the bites from becoming infected. The doctor can also recommend additional medical treatment to address the bug problem in the future.

Please take your mother to her doctor immediately for help to resolve her problem. She will feel much better finding an answer to the bug irritation and receiving the best medical treatment.

Anonymous
Best Answer

yes.... Buy some cedar oil , mix 10 drops with 500mls warm water and a touch of dishwashing liq in a spray bottle. Before you sit anywhere , spray first. Also epsom salts mixed with warm water in a spray bottle can be effective ( but will leave a light mark). Both of these are not going to affect your health as other carcenogens will. You can put the epsom spray on your dogs .Add a few drops of tea tree oil to washing clothes etc. This has helped us enormously.

Please I need help identifying what's going on. I feel bugs on me at all times, and no matter how much I clean or shower, they won't go away. I thought it was gnats, but I shaved my whole body and they're worse! When I leave my home they go with me and all my friends even people I don't know can't stand to be near me. I shower like 6 times a day, so much that I'm out of soap, my washer broke, and my dryer. So I'm forced to stay home so I don't pass whatever it is.
My area is Las Vegas and it used to be home, now I can't stand to be in my home let alone my own room. Please help me, thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Please, go to a doctor and tell him/her everything you are feeling and what you've done. It could be a serious medical condition.

My 3 year old daughter keeps getting bitten, in the house, sometimes at night, sometimes during the day, by unseen, unknown bugs! They are very red, and incredibly itchy. She is miserable, and as she itches, the bites becomes huge lumps and welts, and even sometimes have a red ring around them. She will get 8 to 10 at a time. First, how do I help her itching, and secondly, how do I get rid of any bugs in the house? What can I use that is a natural product? We are very conscious of chemicals and pesticides and don't want the effects of those around our daughter either!
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Beth :)

Answers

Best Answer

Hey,
I have been fighting the same type of bites. I thought at first it might be bed bugs but had my house checked and it was not. Know I think it was some type of mites or scabies...So I started researching just like everyone else. I came across http://tinyurl.com/754e8lv (Tea Tree Oil).

I am very skeptical about everything I do not know about, but since the bites kept coming and I did not want or have the money to go see the doctor, I tried it. It's not too expensive and it works! I read a post were someone said to take a bath and put about 20 drops in the bath and bath for 20 minutes or so.

I did this the first time. It was good, but not strong enough for me. I did some more research and read that Tea Tree Oil is one of the only 100% concentrated oils that is safe to apply directly. Now I do not recommend it for all as it is strong and you will feel a slight burning sensation, but wow. So what I do is shower and scrub with soap. Then rinse and fill the tub half way or so. Put in 40 drops or so or just apply directly (100%) to my bites. I usually do not even rinse again as the oil acts as a repellant after it dries.

It has been two weeks, no new bits and the old bites are all healing. You will see that Tea Tree oil treats many things besides killing mites. Acne, fungal stuff, etc. I highly recommend it. I am not a doctor and am not claiming to be. I just want to share my success as those of us that have had these horrible experiences know just how bad life can get.

There are other size bottles available, but I have used thee one ounce bottles already, so four ounces seems to be the way to go.

Take care and give it a try you will not be disappointed!

For several months now I have been getting bit by something. I know what it's not. It's not bed bugs or fleas. These bites welt up like mosquito bites, but they're not mosquitoes either. It is too cold for them. I live in south central Kansas. Anyhow, the bites turn up in weird places like my elbows, toes, and tops and bottoms of my feet.

I just wondered what it could be. I have checked for bedbugs and turned up nothing, flea bites leave tiny dots on me. The itch from any bug bite for me itches deep down and uncontrollably. My husband and I and our 4 kids live together in this house and yet I am the only one who is getting eaten alive. I just want to find out what I am up against. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

It could be bird mites. My niece had them in Boston and needed an exterminator

Something is biting me. I have 3 small bites on the back of my upper arm. The entire back of my arm is red, swollen, itchy, and warm to the touch. This same thing happened about 3 weeks ago, but on my forearm with the same symptoms. Both times I was sitting on my couch when I was bitten. What could this be? My partner has not been bitten at all.

Answers

Best Answer

I'd say bed bugs or maybe fleas. Even if you don't have pets, you can get them coming in from neighbour pets.

Something is biting me on my arms, and I have never seen the bug that bites. I sit or lie on a leather sofa. My floors are tile with an area rug. I have three small dogs that are treated monthly with Revolution.

Two of the dogs are fine, one is having a terrible time scratching. The vet keeps saying allergies, but I no longer believe this to be true because he is getting worse. I see no insects in my house, on the dog or on myself.

I live in southwest Florida and at first thought it was an insect we call Noseeums. The temperatures have dropped along with humidity so the Noseeums are no longer around. I am open to any and all suggestions.

By Wanda C.

Answers

Best Answer

Check for bedbugs. They are pretty sneaky and hide a lot. They usually are active at night. Check around the seams on your mattress and box spring and on the underside seams on your sofa. They leave little poop stains where they hang out. They are a pain. Good luck.

We just recently moved to North Carolina from Florida and we were living here for about a month already when this started. My 4 year old daughter, for the last few weeks, has been getting bitten by something. I've had them come out and check for bed bugs and they said no bed bugs. I've gotten rid of their beds (both my daughters sleep in the same room) and bought them brand new ones with plastic covers. But, my little girl keeps getting bitten. I moved her to the living room and she stopped getting bit for 4 nights. I put her back in the room and she is getting bitten again. My landlord told me to buy spray and spray the beds anyway. He can't and won't do anything about it. I've never gone through this before, ever. I need to fix this problem, but how do you fix something you can't see and that no one believes you have. The marks are all over her and they look like ant bites. Another reason I know it's not bed bugs is because with bed bug bites the redness spreads and hers don't. They stay small and have a head like ant bites. I've even taken her to the doctor and the doctors said they aren't bed bugs and they aren't mites. What do I do? Please someone help!

For the last few weeks, we have been bitten off and on. We notice the bites the most in the morning. And at night is when the bites are the most itchy. I haven't had bites this itchy before in my life. (They cause me to lose sleep.)

We thought it was bed bugs so we got rid of an old couch. (Upon further examination, we didn't find anything in the couch or the bed frame we threw away.) And put our mattress in a bag. However, we only found one bug that looked like a bed bug. We have looked everywhere else and we don't see evidence of it.

The first week, I went to my doctor since the bites were inflammed. She didn't know what it was and prescribed something for allergies. It made me itch worse so I stopped applying it. The only thing that has helped me is to ice the area or put some Sting Ease by Quantum on it.

My boyfriend just put some diatomaceous earth down tonight so we hope to see something get caught in it.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be a mold mite or something, but I don't know what a mold mite bite looks like. We also randomly feel itchy like a bug is on us, but we think we are just overreacting.

Another thing to note: A couple of weeks ago we just had a hole near the window sealed up in our bedroom. This is where we had a water leak in our room that started about a year and a half ago.

And currently, we are in our living room on air mattresses.

At night when I lay down I can't sleep because I keep getting bitten. I have tried everything; it's not bed bugs. I had an exterminator come already. It stopped for a couple of weeks and then started right back. I don't know what to do. I can't see them, but can feel them when they start biting. Please, I need help.

Answers

Best Answer

You don't provide your location or how long you have had the problem. However, it sounds very much like an experience we had with tropical rat lice that normally live on rats. If the rats leave an area, die, etc., the lice need to find another warm body and our bed was the prime focus! The site below explains more and you should consider another pest service with this information:

http://www.acvc  biting_mites.pdf

I have read hundreds of questions and replies over the net for 15 years, but I believe our "bug" problem will never be solved. I have given this in other posts and threads, but no solution. We moved into a new upscale neighborhood builder's house in north GA around 2002. It was never occupied or owned.

The first week here my wife and I began to itch and itch. We thought it was our imagination. We went to several known dermatologists, nothing was found. They gave us horrible meds that sparingly worked, but made me ill. We thought it was Savannah sand mites-gnats from moving boxes in storage. I don't know. No one knows! Our son visits and feels it. Our neighbors do not have this.

We have used every solution, I mean every solution mentioned here and beyond. We have cleaned and cleaned, vacuumed, sprayed, sprinkled, and powdered for over a decade. Some work for a short period, then they return. (I've just learned to live with it.) (Our friends and siblings joke about it now.)

They went away for a few winters, but now return all year. It only happens when we are in this house. They seem to be in the cement slab and carpet, but not everywhere. In my cement garage work area, they bite fiercely. In my corner den with carpet, they attack any time or season, mostly in the day. One small corner area of the kitchen (has tile) and they bite.

We have received so much advice, but it continues. We wonder if the house has an evil entity. Moving out might be the only method to survive this ridiculous problem. We are so tired of trying to solve this! Please, what bug lives for 15 years in cement and carpet and is immune to everything?

How do we get rid of invisible bugs or mites in my car? We drove across country and my cat and dog are itching and scratching all the time. Flea treatment didn't work and I can feel my ankles being bitten while driving. I never see any bugs. Help please!

Answers

Make sure you have no mold or other moisture in your car. House plants, cold water vaporizers, humidifiers, and dirty air vents can be sources of airborne mold spores, mildews, and bacteria that could cause skin reactions that feel like invisible bugs biting on your skin consistently. (From http://invisibl  ugs-on-skin.html )

Another website says spraying yourself and the area with original Listerine helps as well.

Good luck...

I would take the pets to the bet and have them checked. The vet could probably tell you why they are itching. While they are there, I would bomb the car with a bug bomb. If you stayed in a hotel, you could have possibly got some bedbugs as hitchhikers.

Use Diatomaceous Earth food grade. I use a plastic Ketchup bottle that I got at the dollar store you know the ones you would use for a picnic they can spray the powder into tight places like under your seats and your trunk. Let the powder sit for 4 hours or longer and then vacuum it up along with an fleas. Make sure you empty the vacuum has soon as your done. Don't worry about the powder you can't get to the food grade is safe for you, children and pets.

Okay, in a nutshell. I am getting bitten at least 3 to 5 times a night by something. We have searched for bed bugs and mosquitoes and no luck. We have found a few big gnats and caught them in the vinegar, but I'm getting bitten by ones I can't see. It's mainly at night and it's mainly me. My husband gets a couple here and there.

If I sleep with long sleeves and pants I don't get as many, but it's 98 degrees here in Texas at night. We poured bleach down the drains, vacuumed, and dusted. They seem to be mainly in our bedroom. Please tell me what these bites could be from and what to do about them.

I've been getting bites from a bug I don't see at all (along with my mom and sister) 3. It's mainly when sitting on my couch or outside in my backyard. It's not bed bugs because it's not while I sleep and it's only in one room or outside.

I live in California, Inland Empire area. I'm at a lost and very overwhelmed. Luckily my 1 year old isn't being bitten, but it's every week something is biting me. We do have dogs, but they are only outside and we treat them for fleas and ticks with the medicine that goes on their backs. We've checked them for fleas and flea eggs, but we can't find anything.

The bites start off looking like a hive. We've sprayed both outside and inside where we seem to be getting bitten (literally in the morning and that same night I had 2 new bites). If anyone has any ideas what it could be please let me know!

I am really depressed with invisible biting creatures in my home. A year ago we have bed bugs in our home. After several pest control treatments they are gone completely. Now something is biting our skin from beds, sofas, and from clothes. We did pest control treatment all over, but they are still not going away. Whatever they are is killed by high temperature hot water only, while bathing. We wash clothes with high temperature, but they still are not going away fully. This has spread into my car and now my office chair. When I wear my shirts I start being bitten. It is spreading everywhere on my body. I don't know any solution. Please does anybody have any suggestions?

Load More