Getting Bitten by Unseen Bugs

For several months now I have been getting bit by something. I know what it's not. It's not bed bugs or fleas. These bites welt up like mosquito bites, but they're not mosquitoes either. It is too cold for them. I live in south central Kansas. Anyhow, the bites turn up in weird places like my elbows, toes, and tops and bottoms of my feet.

I just wondered what it could be. I have checked for bedbugs and turned up nothing, flea bites leave tiny dots on me. The itch from any bug bite for me itches deep down and uncontrollably. My husband and I and our 4 kids live together in this house and yet I am the only one who is getting eaten alive. I just want to find out what I am up against. Thanks.

Best Answer

It could be bird mites. My niece had them in Boston and needed an exterminator

It almost sounds like you have demodex mite in your home. This can be an issue and they are hard to see and find.

I would check with a pest control company and find out if they can suggest you something to use to spray for them.

Im sorry you are having this issue! I can relate- my dog had fleas for the first time ever. He is a short haired black and brown brindle pitbull. I saw him itching and searched him, but I couldnt see any. I brought him to the vet, who misdiagnosed him and I now have a flea infestation in my home! I ended up deciding it had to be fleas after a month of him scratching (although I couldnt see any...) and I was right! I didnt think twice and treated him- to my chagrin, they came after me instead!
I tried to take care of the issue with vinegar spray (known to kills fleas and larvae), baking soda and salt in the carpets, daily vacuuming, and citronella candles.... things were better until I got sick and missed a few days; now they are back with a vengeance!

I did a ton of research and people without any animals have had infestations! All of the things I tried above were from the Internet. I also learned that if there is an infestation in the home- they wont necessarily die in the winter! Great!
I can feel myself getting bit and when I look down I cant see anything! I read that the larvae hatch and resemble tiny white dots that can barely be seen! The size of the bite usually depends on the life cycle of the flea. I did find a white dot on my skirt after being bit...
I have tried everything to prevent bites including vinegar (1 oz in water or juice) and on my skin, coconut oil, and lavender spray on the bedding.
The best results are from high necked thick sweaters and sweatpants with socks, drinking apple cider vinegar, and rubbing dryer sheets on the skin (also works for mosquitoes and black flies).

I am finally giving up and bombing the house! I dont like chemicals, but Its gotta be better than suffering like this! Im also going to invest in the mattress and box spring encases...
A single flea usually can bite multiple times. The bites usually form a straight line as the flea crawls on the skin. Check out you tube for a homemade flea trap- if the light is bright enough, you will know if you have fleas and to what extent!
Many years ago, I was also unfortunate enough to live with my mother in law, who had bed bugs in one room! (I had no idea at the time.)
I would wake up with clusters of red raised bites. They werent interested in my husband one bit; but they loved me! They only feed at night, so if you get bit in the day- its not bedbugs! I even consulted a dermatologist who had no clue what they were and called it a rash! The only way I found out what they were, was because I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a reddish brown (tear-drop) shaped bug. I looked it up- and bingo! Thankfully, we bought a house and moved out and never had another issue with them...

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know how you make out!
Hope this helps!
S. Wilcox

Anonymous

Did you find a solution? I am having the same problem. I also live in south-central Kansas, and have been getting bitten almost every single night for the last two months. Weve had our home sprayed for bugs 3 times, and had 2 different exterminators look for the problem. No one can find anything. Its not spiders, its not bed bugs. There is no sign of bugs anywhere, and our bed is brand new. In fact the bites started right after we got the new bed, which we bought from a reputable company in Wichita. I did find 2 tiny white bugs in the foundation, but they hopped away before I could trap them. Any ideas what they are and how to kill them? I need to get some sleep, these bites wake me up every night at 3 am. Also my bites are in the same places as yours, toes, top and bottom of feet, fingers, and elbows. They look like a tiny red pinprick and hurt when they happen, (thats what wakes me up) then form welt and start itching like crazy in about 24 hours. The itch/stinging lasts for several days.