Identifying a Small Black Bug Found Inside?

I keep finding this bug all over a house we are renting. It's really small as you can see in the first picture. It would fit on my thumbnail. In the up-close photo you can see it has whitish spots and one wide whitish stripe. They are really a nuisance and we've sprayed a ton, but they're still here.

Best Answer

This is actually a really good photo; unfortunately, it is hard to tell whether it has wings or a hard shell. Does it fly? Does it congregate mostly in dark areas, wet areas, or is it an equal opportunity nuisance?

It is possible that this is an old house borer. It feeds on wood, and bears its name because traditionally it infests older homes. However, any wood on any home 10 years old or so could be infested.

This would explain why spraying doesn't seem to work; if it is the borer, it's a structural thing.

source: cdn.orkin.com/.../orkin-insect-id-guide.pdf[/downloads/orkin-insect-id-guide.pdf]false

on second thought, the borer is supposed to be up to an inch long, and this one you say is smaller.

Anonymous

baby roach

I have the exact same bugs in my older rental home (built in the early 80s). Trying to figure out what they are. They dont have wings or a hard shell, and as far as I can tell, they like damp areas, like the bathrooms.

That is a cockroach nymph.

Best Answer

No matter how good the photos are, it is still difficult to identify a but as so many are very similar and change completely during different stages of life. Some are more prevalent in one area also.

It looks a lot like an Oriental Cockroach to me but they do get larger than you are saying.
Take a look at the photos and see what you think.

www.allgoodservices.com/.../

Since you are seeing these quite often it means that whatever you are spraying is either not the correct type or you are not getting to the breeding places.

I would suggest you do one of two things (or both).

Send your question to this site but be sure to tell them where you live.

ask.extension.org/

Take your pictures to either Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware and ask for help as they usually have experienced people who can assist you where other stores generally do not.

That's a baby cockroach. Specifically, a Smoky Brown Cockroach.

Im finding this same bug in my new rented place as well... I have a pic that my be better but dont know how to upload it on this thread..Im just hoping its not baby roach or something...

I've got the same problem. Did u ever identify the bugs and/ or get rid of them?

I am finding these same bugs within the last month at my house. Only in the main level where the kitchen and living are. Im finding the mostly dead but about 7-10 at a time.

I am seeing this bug also in a home that Im renting. Does anyone have an answer or solution for it?

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMay 30, 2020
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Small-Black-Bug-Found-Inside.html