Identifying Small Black Insects?

I discovered these today inside my home. This is the first time I've seen them and there are around half a dozen that I've spotted. I originally saw them on the floor near a window and within about a half an hour they crawled/hopped (I've seen a couple try to jump like a flea, but only about 3-5cm max) up onto the windowsill. They tend to stay near sunlight from what I've noticed. Two look to have drowned in moisture on the sill from condensation after cooking last night. Some have wings, not all.

I recently purchased an indoor monstera plant, but no bugs are nearby. My location is south NSW Australia.
Thanks!

Best Answer

I do believe these are termintes and they come out of the wood work certain times a year. When they first come out they will have wings and can fly. We get them here at our home from time to time and especially if you live around another home that has terminated. After they fly the wings will fall off and they can drop down to the ground. They can crawl around and yes they do like sunlight but when I see them come out here is around dusk or just before the sun goes down. I normally get rid of them with a bowl of water and they will go in the water and die.

Best Answer

There are about 9300 species of Click Beetles worldwide. I think you have one of those. I found pictures of a few species that look very similar to your photo.

I have encountered click beetles, large and small, all my life. I have never known them to be a problem in the garden or in the house. They hang around for a while and then leave as quickly as they came. They can destroy large crops of potato, strawberry, corn, and wheat.

I think what you described as them trying to jump was actually them trying out their click mechanism.

This bug looks to be in the termite family - here is more info on this worldly insect - en.wikipedia.org/.../termite

I've never seen a click beetle but after reading likekinds answer I decided to 'investigate' and they are interesting insects.

I like looking at sites that have pictures so you can see the entire shape of the body as well as how many legs and where the legs are located.
Your insects seem to fit right in with the pictures.
Have you heard them making a 'clicking' sound?

www.google.com/search?q=Click+Beetles&client=firefox...

www.pestwiki.com/.../

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsJune 14, 2020
😷
📓
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Small-Black-Insects-1.html