Identifying Household Bugs

Category Bugs
It can be challenge to combat bugs in your home, when you don't know what kind they are. This is a page about identifying household bugs.

The last couple days I have found 2 bugs in my bed and this one on my wall. Anyone know what this is?

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like a carpet beetle. Here is a clear image to match with yours:

bugeric.blogspot.com/.../carpet-beetles-genus-anthrenus.htm

If you just have a few, suck them up with the vacuum (or if you are like me, walk them out of the house and drop them off at place a far piece away from the house). Then give the house a good cleaning.

If you find bunches (an infestation), you may need to call in a pro, but know chemicals used to treat insects are usually dangerous and should be used in great care with pets and small children and anyone with respiratory issues.

I don't fuss with a few (meaning do nothing but rid and clean). That usually solves the issue. They come looking for food and warmth.

You may want to check around windows and doors and block off any gaps.

Post back what you learn!

I saw this bug in our home. I tried looking it up and Google didn't really help. Can someone tell me what bug is this and if this is a one time invader or there would be more of them?

Answers

Best Answer

It's the right color for a silverfish, and may be a nymph (baby) but full grown ones have longer legs and don't have pinchers or pointy rumps. See the photo....

www.orkin.com/.../

I would scoop it into a glass jar, seal tighly, double bag it, and take it to your local hardware store or garden center to get them to identify it. This way you can be positive and then figure out the best solution! There are many natural, chemical free ways to rid your home of pests!

Let us know what you find! Good luck!!

I've been finding these little bigs on my windowsills, curtains, and blinds. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them?

Thanks

Answers

Best Answer

These are carpet beetles. Wash what you can in hot, soapy water and vacuum what you can't wash.

Can someone please tell me what this bug is? It hangs on my window sills in my kitchen only and on the kitchen tile floor.

Answers

It looks like a carpet beetle. Make sure they arent in your cupboards and that your kitchen floor is wiped clean of spills.

Definitely a carpet beetle from the pattern.

That's not a carpet beetle, that a stick bug !!!

I personally think this is a stick bug and not a carpet beetle. I have seen these around a lot and we've always called them stick bugs.

So how do you get rid of them.. the only place I have seen them is in the kitchen window sill, tile floor and a couple on counter.

I have vacuumed over and over and have found none in vacuum container.

None in cabinets just on Window sill and Floor mostly few on counter. I clean and clean they just keep coming back.

How do I get rid of them?

I thought stick bugs look like long sticks?

I looked up a picture of a stick bug and my bug LOL looks nothing like it

I am still searching. I have better pictures. We just can't seem to get rid of them. They are in the laundry room and occasionally I find them throughout the house.

We sprayed, but are still finding them.

I have been finding these on my window, randomly on my bed, and a few times in my closet.
Help is greatly appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

Its pattern is very much a carpet beetle's:

www.orkin.com/.../

We've been having a bug issue in our toiletroom. These bugs keep appearing on the toiletroom floor, and they're also kind of hard to kill even tho they're tiny. At first I thought it was another ant problem like last year, but when I took a picture I could see it's not ants. Does anyone know what these are?

It's been going on for over 2 weeks, and they keep coming even tho I keep killing them. It got so bad that at one point there were more than 15+ dead bugs under the toilet slippers and we had to clean everything.

And now the dead bugs are being collected again. Sorry for not the best picture, but I have a huge fear of insects so I usually kill them immediately and took this picture fast. It seems to have 6 legs? And a snout or mouth that pokes out? I hope someone can help! Our toiletroom is totally clean so dirt can't be the cause.

I found just a couple of these in my bathroom. Does anyone know what it is?

Does anyone know what this bug is? My son found it on the bedroom floor.

I found this bug this morning rushing through my new floor. It is 3-4mm in size.
Thank you.

I have been finding these all over my house and I have no idea what they are! They look like a tick, but I know they aren't!

Please help!

I saw this bug in my bathroom one day and I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I live in the northeastern US and I am stumped as to what this could be.

Please help!

I keep randomly finding these in my apartment. We live in a downtown area in Abilene, Texas. The building is enclosed and very old, but our apartment is super clean. I hate bugs and just want to know what gives.

Answers

It looks like a cockroach. Call the landlord.

Omg, I havent seen any adults anywhere, and I only see one of these here and there. Im still letting the office know.

Thank you for your response!

Definitely call the landlord as it should be their responsibility to get rid of them...but to me they don't look like roaches.....they look more like something in the beetle family. Roaches (at least in Pittsburgh, are not this weird color combo, they are solid black or brown and are much bigger than what is pictured).

This is a picture of what Texas roach looks like, which looks like the kind we where I am www.texasmonthly.com/.../

If you need to tell them what it is, bottle one up (jar with lid and bag it in a zip bag) and take it to a hardware store or garden center. They can probably ID it quickly.

Be careful if your landlord wants to use chemicals to kill them that you know exactly what is being used and that the directions are followed. Depending on what they use, you may need to be out of the apartment for a day or to, especially if you have any allergies or breathing problems or if you have pets or small children you need to be extra careful.

Good luck! Let us know what they tell you.

I do not think it is a cockroach but?
It may be some type of beetle but you are doing the right think by contacting your landlord.

Does any body know what this bug is? I am finding it in my kitchen.

Any help would be great.
Thank you.

I see light brown and bigger black bugs on my walls. The first pesticide treatment has not killed them all. What are they? Their abdomen is bigger than the head, they are smaller than 1 mm. I can see them on the wall near the tube lights, but they are almost all over the house.

I found this guy on my jeans that have been on the floor for 12 hours. I've never seen any like this. I live in Ontario and being December can't see it being tracked in accidentally from brush, being it -16C outside. I do live in an apartment building on the top floor (7th) and been here for 3 years.

So, our bug nightmare is continuing. The exterminator came and we seem to have a handle on the grain beetle problem. Every now and then we had been finding 1-2 in our bedroom sheets/pillow by a window. The exterminator sprayed the bedroom perimeter and put poison powder all along the outside of the window. Today, I found another tiny bug on the mattress pad (same location) when I went to change the sheets. I assumed it was the same type of bug, but I decided to check to make sure. I put it under a light and magnified it. I am attaching the pictures. I am beside myself. I want these bugs out of my house and certainly out of my bed. Please help. What kind of bug is this? Is there any connection between the 2 bugs? Any suggestions on how to handle this?

I am trying to identify these tiny bugs. We keep finding them on our kitchen table napkins and in our bed by the window. We had an exterminator come and now have a couple sources identified in our laundry room and outside door near that room.

Identifying Household Bugs - small bug

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsFebruary 25, 2015
🍂
🎃