Identifying Household Bugs

Category Bugs
It can be challenge to combat bugs in your home, when you don't know what kind they are. This is a guide about identifying household bugs.

I have been finding these on my window, randomly on my bed, and a few times in my closet.
Help is greatly appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

Its pattern is very much a carpet beetle's:

www.orkin.com/.../

I've been finding these little bigs on my windowsills, curtains, and blinds. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them?

Thanks

Answers

Best Answer

These are carpet beetles. Wash what you can in hot, soapy water and vacuum what you can't wash.

Can someone please tell me what this bug is? It hangs on my window sills in my kitchen only and on the kitchen tile floor.

Answers

It looks like a carpet beetle. Make sure they arent in your cupboards and that your kitchen floor is wiped clean of spills.

Can someone please tell me what these are/ They are about the size of a pin head and run fast. They don't fly or jump.

I have found a few on my window sill and the toilet paper roll. They also squish easily with light pressure.

Answers

They could be spring tails. They are harmless. Frequent vacuuming will prevent a big infestation.

You could take a few in a container to a garden center and they may be able to identify them for you and, give you instructions on how to get rid of them. Some pest control places will do this too. Or do a free inspection. The common small bugs found in houses are carpet beetles, fleas and bed bugs.

The bug is some sort of flea.

There are a couple bugs that like the window sill like:

- book lice
- clover mites
- springtails

This is a good reference: http://www.home  -my-window-sill/

Bugs like this are so small that it is difficult to get a good photo that gives enough detail to be able to identify them.
If you can gather two or three in a pill bottle or jar or baggie you may be able to ask at a real garden center or stop by a local exterminator's office as they may be able to see the bug good enough to have some idea as to what it is. It seems that it is a bug that likes dampness/moisture so that should help ID it.

You can also locate your county extension office and ask them or take it by their office. You can locate your local office from this link.

http://www.pick  agentoffices.htm

I found it in the bath with my son. I am not sure if it was on him or got into the water some how. Any ideas what it is? Please note it's on a large kid size Q-tip for size reference.

TIA :)

I have found several bugs like this one in my bedroom recently. They are really really small. Also lately I have had some suspicious itchy bumps in my arms/legs. Could anybody help identify them - are they bed bugs?

Do you know what kind of bugs these are? They are in the bedroom, kitchen, and even in the bathroom.
Thanks.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Answers

I think it's a beetle. Spray with any insecticide.

There are some eco safe organic pesticides you can use for about $5

This is the second bug you have asked about but you are really not giving us enough information to help you irradiate these bugs. Please read the answers to your first bug question as the answers will be about the same even if it is not the same bug. Please give us more information in the future and we can maybe help you as it seems you have moved into a place that may be infested with bugs of all kinds.

Bugs are really difficult to identify if more information in not given especially as to where you are finding them. Your photo really looks like a German cockroach to me and these are difficult to kill.

If you have access to taking these bugs (and any more you find) to a bug termination service you will get expert opinions even if you do not use or pay for their services. Google bug exterminator and your zip code and see if one is near you.

Here is a link showing how to get rid of German roaches just in case this is your bug - but - as I said, most remedies will kill lots of different kinds of bugs. But - a clean house is very good way to start and move on from there.

http://www.pest  man-cockroaches/

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) will kill almost any kind of bug but it is not instant and will take a few days to work (but keeps on working) so you may want to use other measures to start the process of elimination.

Diatomaceous Earth can be bought at many plant stores, large stores, on line, farm stores, hardware stores (not pool supply stores). Good luck with your cleaning/clearing project.

https://richsoi  aceous-earth.jsp

This looks like a stink bug. Please click on this link and see if the photo resembles it.

https://www.goo  1024&bih=714

Anyone know what kind of bug this is? I found a couple in my car and I'm freaking out.

Answers

It kind of looks like a cigarette beetle?

Put these bugs in a plastic bag with a good seal. Bring it to any place that sells pesticides and they will help you.

It does not look like a flying bug but bugs do look a little different when they are dead rather than alive.
Take what you have and place them in a zip bag or small medicine bottle and take them to an exterminator, your local county agriculture agency (email a photo as they may recognize it) or, occasionally someone working at Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace's garden centers may be able to help you.

from the picture it's hard to tell, but it almost looks like a lightning bug. It most likely is just a gaarden-variety beetle, living off organic matter in your car.

I have found these bugs in my bed and in my living room near the couch and on the couch. They look like carpet beetles, but they dont fly, at least not that I have seen and I have seen quite a few. I live in Colorado, about 20 miles south of Denver, if that helps any. Also, what do I need to do to get rid of these? I have a small dog and cannot use anything that will harm her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I keep finding these little tiny black bugs in my cat's water dish and the bathroom, can anyone tell me what I am dealing with?

I have found several in my bed, but they are mostly all over my apartment. Some are in the carpet and some are in my bathroom. I moved out of my apartment a couple months ago, but had to leave my furniture there. I have been staying with my parents, but have gone and checked on the apartment. I deep cleaned it when I left, but when I went to get my furniture I found 5 of these on my daughter's bunk bed mattresses, but the apartment is full of them. They are not flat either and they are pretty tiny. I first thought they were bed bugs, but from looking up pics, bed bugs don't have that middle abdomen area.

Please help me, I found a bug with larve that was crawling on my leg. When I picked it up with the paper towel I took a picture and noticed all the white larve on the towel. What is this bug? Please help me. I also find these small brown bugs near my patio screen door that don't move, laying inside near my screen. Have no idea but they don't move.

By Joanie G

Answers

I'm not sure why you need to know what it is. Just squish it and be done with it!

Hi -
The picture with the bugs that 'don't move' looks a lot like carpet beetles. These guys eat fabric. An infestation in our house that began when we were away for a month resulted in having a lot of the felt of the hammers of my beautiful piano eaten away to the point that they didn't strike the strings. The piano was ruined!

Check with your local Cooperative Extension office; take a sample in to them and see what they tell you. If it is carpet beetles, I suggest some kind of treatment that will kill them all.

Good luck!

The one on the paper towel looks like a tick. Could not tell you what the others are. Look like pieces of bugs.

I saw this bug in our home. I tried looking it up and Google didn't really help. Can someone tell me what bug is this and if this is a one time invader or there would be more of them?

Can someone please tell me what kind of bug this is? It was swimming in my dog's water bowl. I hope it is not a bedbug!

I have little tiny almost microscopic insects in my kitchen sink and on the counters. I just noticed them 2 days ago. I'm in Louisiana, it's 103+ temp. I got a good zoomed in picture. They look like ants when zoomed. What are they?

Over the past week, I've been seeing these super tiny bugs in my bedroom. I first noticed one as it was crawling on my face. After that I saw them mostly crawling across my phone screen every once in awhile. I've only seen about ten of these so far and it is unclear if there's an actual infestation as I have not seen a bunch of them concentrated in one area. I've already ruled out that they're bedbugs or fleas. These little things also do not bite or fly.

The first image I've attached is their actual size. They look like some sort of speck of dust or lint so they're hard to miss. The following two images is of it magnified.

I came out from the shower and I found this bug on my body right after I was drying myself with the towel. Do you guys know what is it?

Thanks a lot!

My question is about these very, very tiny black bugs I've noticed hiding under and around things on my desk and window sill (in my bedroom).

My first guess would have been dust mites since I often find them in dusty places on my shelves between books and such, but my guys are always black.

The closest thing I've found to resemble them online are bed bugs (round, black,and tiny), only they seem to be a lot smaller than bed bugs (the size of a pin prick really), and I havent seen a single one in my bed, or experienced any biting from them.
I tried to take a photo with my phone, but theyre so so tiny I can't get a picture in any sort of focus.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Answers

From the description, I would say you have carpet beetles. Many different specific kinds of carpet beetles exist. "Did they crunch when you squashed them? As an insect enthusiast, I never recommend unnecessary bug squashing (and most bug squashing is unnecessary, since the vast majority of insects on the planet do us no harm whatsoever). That said, if you're searching for information about tiny black bugs in your house and have arrived here, I'm pretty certain you don't like the bugs taking up residence in your home and have already squashed a few. So, did they make a crunchy sound when you did? You may have noticed they left a black or brown smear when you crushed them, too." http://insects.  -In-My-House.htm

Put them in a sealed plastic bag. Don't crush them. Take them to a place where they sell pesticides and they will help you.

Load More