Keeping Squirrels Out of Trees and Off Balcony

I have a balcony one floor up from the ground. There are trees on either side, and the squirrels climb up them, then onto a ledge, then onto my balcony where they dig in my flower pots and eat through the wire on my string lights.

I bought tall planters which stopped them for a while, and now they've figured how to get into those and dig and kick the dirt all over the balcony.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of a shield that can be attached to the trees that might have barbed wire or some other pointy/ouchy surface that would deter the little brats. Any ideas?

By Lynn G.

Answers

If this is an apartment building the trees are in a common area and can't be tampered with. Have you thought of putting some sort of ouchies in the dirt in your flower pots and around the railing of the balcony? I can't really be reasonable about this because I can't stand squirrels. As far as I am concerned they are tree rats. They are smart enough not to come back if they get nicked in the hiney when they jump onto the balcony railing.

Brown squirrel eating
Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksJune 8, 2012
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
A squirrel next to a blue flower.
Squirrels Eating Flowers
Black Walnut Tree
Keeping Squirrels Off Of Walnut Trees
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 11:18:12 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.