Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 204 Posts

Squirrel in clay pot.During the summer, I plant vegetables in containers and keep them on my deck. In the past, I've had a great deal of difficulty keeping the squirrels from digging up my new sprouts. A friend gave me an idea which has worked well. What you do is get a package of bamboo skewers, which usually runs about a dollar, and stick the skewers into the soil, with the points sticking up out of the soil and over the edge of the pot.

This deters the squirrels from climbing into the pots to dig up the seedlings. It's worked very well, no squirrels have been injured, and my vegetables are allowed to flourish.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

More Solutions

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 523 Posts

I have lost hundreds of dollars and many man hours due to squirrels digging in potted plants. I would come home from work only to find many pots knocked off a wall or bench.

Don't bother with the tip about scattering moth balls. I did this and next morning, they were all GONE. The squirrels must have loved them.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 170 Posts

Squirrels love to hide their food. In the process of doing this, they tend to bury the food in soft dirt which is usually a newly planted garden.

If you have pets or animals that roam your area try adding chicken wire under your plants.

21 Questions

I tried to plant seeds and then actual plants in my porch flower boxes. The squirrels keep digging them up and destroying them. I live across the street from a park. I tried putting mesh on top of the soil, I tried moth crystals, no help. Anybody got an idea? Planting season is soon here in Milwaukee and I want some flowers.

By Kathy from Milwaukee, WI

Answer this Question

What do I do if the squirrels seem to like the pepper I've been putting down? I'm trying to get my coleus plants to thrive this year, and now that I realize squirrels have been digging holes in them and eating the roots. I know it's not me that killed them in the past. So, how do I keep them alive this time around? The goofy squirrels around me seem to like black pepper!

I didn't have red pepper so I used black over and over and over. It's weird, but they seem to actually like some of the coleus plants over the others (different colored ones). Any help would be welcome. I don't want to hurt them so the least invasive methods please.

Answer this Question

How do I keep squirrels from digging up my lawn?

Answer this Question

The day before yesterday I planted over 50 sunflower seeds against our fence post in the back yard. Later that day and the next morning I noticed a squirrel over by the fence. I checked and do you know he dug up and ate all of my sunflower seeds all down the row of the fence. They were all cracked open and just laying there.

My mom said, because we have them on hand to stake some disposable red plates just around the line of the seeds when I plant them until they sprout.

Will this work? Any suggestions will help, because of course I want to plant more, but not for the squirrel to eat. Do they watch you do this or do they actually smell the seeds underground? Help.

By Laura Lynn Jump from Ocala, FL

Answer this Question

Squirrels come onto my patio and dig dirt out of my plant/flower pots. How can I keep them from doing that?

I know they like to dig (ground squirrels), but why my flower pots? This is the second year in a row.

Answer this Question

The squirrels are destroying my plants by digging in all the pots. Anyone have any methods to preclude this?

By Elizabeth A.

Answer this Question

What can I purchase to stop squirrels from digging up all of my plants? I need the name of a product and where it can be purchased.

Thank you.

By Beryl from Brooklyn

Answer this Question

This week I've noticed holes that have been chewed or pecked in the sides of my outdoor plastic plant pots. Any ideas?

Answer this Question

What is the best way to deter squirrels from digging up flower pots and gardens?

Answer this Question

How do I keep squirrels out of potted plants on the patio?

By susan

Answer this Question

I have a balcony one floor up from the ground. There are trees on either side, and the squirrels climb up them, then onto a ledge, then onto my balcony where they dig in my flower pots and eat through the wire on my string lights.

I bought tall planters which stopped them for a while, and now they've figured how to get into those and dig and kick the dirt all over the balcony.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of a shield that can be attached to the trees that might have barbed wire or some other pointy/ouchy surface that would deter the little brats. Any ideas?

By Lynn G.

Answer this Question

You may want to keep squirrels out of your garden or bird feeders. This is a page about natural repellent for squirrels.

Close up of a squirrel.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

As cute as they may be squirrels can also make themselves into pests and lose their welcome in your garden. This is a page about squirrels eating flowers.

A squirrel next to a blue flower.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How can I keep squirrels from digging in my outdoor potted plants?

Is there a home remedy I can use to keep squirrels from eating the plants in my garden?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksJune 10, 2012
🌻
😎
🎆
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Squirrels-from-Digging-in-Plants.html