Squirrels Digging Up Potted Plants

The squirrels are destroying my plants by digging in all the pots. Anyone have any methods to preclude this?

By Elizabeth A.

Squirrels like to dig in soft dirt, so you might try covering the soil with gravel or rocks.

I've been using a the same method for years with great success. I found a roll of plastic mesh at a garage sale many years ago--my husband says it's used for keeping leaves out of gutters on the house. I cut it to fit whatever area I want to protect and simply lay it over the soil. I've cut metal pins out of old hangers to secure the mesh in place. But I've also just used sturdy bits of twig or even stones to hold it down. I've used it to cover seeds in the flower beds (they love to dig up sunflower seeds!) and on the soil in potted plants outside. Hope this helps, it's worked wonders for me and I always seem to find another roll at a garage sale about the time I need a new one. Though it's not expensive if you have to buy it in a home store.

One or two mothballs will keep the squirrels out.

Anonymous

Doesn't work for me, they eat them.

Anonymous

That was asked in another post - said it did NOT work.

Anonymous

place moue traps (the kind that are spring loaded) so it clamp down onto their hands. they quit digging in there really fast!

Anonymous

Go to the dollar store and by wooden skewers and stick them in the soil with the points up. It keeps squirrels out.

They are inexpensive too and can be reused. Worked for me. I took them out when the plants filled in and no more dirt was exposed.