Overwintering a Potted Weeping Willow

Category Trees
This is a guide about overwintering a potted weeping willow. As with many potted plants, bringing them indoors is the best way to overwinter them in cold climates. Potted plants are particularly vulnerable to freezing weather because they lack the insulation from the soil that plants in the ground have.

I ordered and received a small 8" or so weeping willow from eBay. It wasn't in a container, just the tree and the small roots covered up so I assume they wouldn't dry out during transport. I planted it in a small probably 6" or so diameter pot with potting soil and have been watering it everyday. I hadn't planned on soil planting it for a year or two, if possible. I've been keeping it outside in the pot, but temps are going to soon be below freezing and I'm wondering if I should bring it in until spring?

Answers

I would bring it in. Keep it near a window with the same direction of exposure it will be in when you plant it next spring.

Thanks, but I don't have anywhere indoors that will receive the same amount of sun it will outdoors. My house basically has shade trees covering it.

I might be able to get an hour or two of morning or evening sun, but not both. I was going to place the pot well away from the house when the time came, where it would get about 65% full day sun.

Ok, I brought it in since tonight will be a hard freeze. As I know almost nothing about plants in pots anyway, this is even a more special case with the tree. So, what do I do now? Keep it in until Spring, water it, and just try to keep it near the sun? As I mentioned, inside the house, the amount of sunlight reaching anything is poor due to shade trees covering the house. Suggestions?

Willow trees do well in full sun, but keep roots moist. They do well in any climate so you can leave it outside.

Provide a collar around your tree to protect it from animal's that nibble until it grows larger.