No Luck with Moth Balls

Don't bother with the tip about scattering moth balls. I did this and next morning, they were all GONE. The squirrels must have loved them. My face fell a mile. Ha Ha.

Moth balls are very poisonous to other critters besides squirrels so keep that in mind before you scatter them about.

Why were you scattering moth balls? Their purpose is to repeal bugs and they also kill animals and could kill a small child. If outside and they are rained on, they will also kill grass and plants and get into the water supply.

Mothballs are not dangerous just for animals they should not be used at all - outdoors or indoors! Mothballs diffuses naphthalene and para-dichlorobenzene both highly carcinogenic substances and also highly flammable.

Along with the risk of cancer, prolonged and repeated exposure can cause headaches, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, and seriously damage the nervous system as well as the lungs. U.E. is planning to prohibit mothball on its territory.

Catherine is absolutely correct. There are many non-toxic ways to deter wildlife without causing injury to humans or the wildlife.

It's not the squirrels that love them, it's the black birds that steal them. They will fight over them. They take them and rub it on their self to help keep the mites and bugs off them. I learned this the hard way. I put some in my flower garden to keep the squirrels out and the black birds did more damage fighting over them.

Moth balls are like ice cubes. They evaporate and will completely disappear once they are exposed to the air.

Moth balls are poison. It is illegal to throw moth balls outside, they are toxic and poisonous to humans and animals.

Anonymous

This is true moth balls do not work and are not good for the soil especially in a garden

Moth balls worked for me, however I bought some cheap ones from a dollar store and they may just have a worse odour to them than some more expensive ones.