Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House

Is there anything that can be put in paint to keep squirrels from eating the wood on the house?

By J. Wade

Answers

Live trap them. Then dispose of properly. Red squirrels are the worst! They will get into the house and eat on the wires. Fire hazard! We catch them, toss a trash bag over the trap, spray in starter fluid from the can. Put them to sleep permanently. I don't like pellet guns, our neighbors use them.

A gray squirrel caught is released.

You should see what the reds did to our garage. Tore the insulation off the walls and stuffed the tool drawers full. They will get under your hood of the car and make a mess of wiring too. In the winter, start the car, BOOM BOOM under the hood. Got one. MESS!

Squirrel Damage Stopped by softening several jars of Vaseline in large bowl, stirring in several jars of powdered cayenne pepper, and troweling along edge of roof where they where hanging over trying to reopen a hole they had used to get into eaves for years. Since it is winter now the corner of the house is still nicely covered by the inch thick smear. If they even touch it they will be chased away by the burning quality of the pepper and the Vaseline has been keeping it there for several weeks now. This is our variation on the old advice to spray the area with liquid hot sauce and to keep repeating because it washes off. So far this is lasting and we are so relieved to see no new efforts or holes by those rascally squirrels.

Sicko. How would you like someone to do that to you.we' ve invaded their territory.that is extremely cruel and unnecessary.

Well, they chewed thru our roof shingles and soffit. After Hurricane we had to get roof replaced because of wind and water.

Anyway , the day after the new roof went on , they had a big hole. It is maddening.
$10,207.00 !! So before you judge someone walk a mile in their shoes.

Anonymous

My house has been here since 1928. So useing some slick with pepper is not only great it's also humane U idiot. Give ur address and we will ship them to your house .

Incorrect, the squirrels get the hot pepper on thier hands and eventually in their eyes causing blindness. It is not humane.

Anonymous

I have a pet squirrel that I wouldn't take the world for but I'm going to tell you something when it comes to damaging a 2 or $300,000 home constantly your insurance gets to where it won't pay it so until you pay out that kind of money watching your silly comments

3 More Questions

I read some of the questions about squirrels. I have one or two that are chewing the paint off my garage door and have chewed part of the door frame. What can I do to stop them? I don't think moth balls would help outdoors.

By Geri from Indianapolis, IN

Answers

I would buy a have a hart trap to trap the critters and then take them at least 10 miles away and release them. I had squirrels getting inside my garage and eating the wood in one location to get outside. I bought the trap at a hardware store for about $30.

We had squirrels in our attic. They were going up on the big wires to the central h/a. I got some hot sauce, put it all around & on the wires. It stopped them, they do not like hot stuff, good luck.

Got a dog?

I was going to say the thing about the pepper. I have used cayenne, black, ground peppers, with dry hot mustard. I'd mix it dry & then sprinkle it around. It works on all kinds of animals.

If that didn't work, I'd mix the pepper mustard mix & soak it in water. Let set & strain & spray the liquid. Most animals have good noses & lick themselves. The smell usually keeps them away all my itself most the time.

Urinate on the places

Anonymous

Put some soltice quick rub on a few places the smell will keep them away they will not go near it much less get in on their hands I have had a pet squirrel for three years I've had to do this to my wiring and yes he still alive and kicking and running everywhere and it has not heard him because he has not went near the smell

How do I keep squirrels from chewing on a white pine log house, mainly the corners that stick out about 8 inches. The house is stained, but does not make any difference.

By Hank E

Answers

Spray a repellent on it
Temporarily cover it with wire hardware cloth or tin
Trim back any bushes and trees that they may be climbing to access the area

Squirrels hate pepper. Reapply after a rain.

I put red pepper thickly all around the side of the house that the squirrel was trying to get back in, and it didn't work. I used vinegar, irish soap in spray bottle, I used wire, metal, and a live trap, which he managed to squeeze out of when I was picking up the live trap.

I am my wits end...it is very determined to get back in.

Answer this Question

How do you get squirrels to stop eating pressed wood lumber on outside of house?

Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksApril 13, 2013
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf39640318.tip.html