Stop Squirrels From Digging In Potted Plants

I have lost hundreds of dollars and many man hours due to squirrels digging in potted plants. I would come home from work only to find many pots knocked off a wall or bench. The plants, sometimes expensive, would be lying beside the pots with roots having been exposed to hot sun all day. Many plants could not be salvaged.

In the picture, the pot on the right shows what I've had to resort to in order to keep the squirrels at bay, mounding the pots high with small rocks. Moving large pots with all those rocks was quite a chore.

The pot on the left shows an experiment I started today. I have cut blackberry vines covered with merciless thorns into small segments and placed them very close together in the top of the pot, sticking up in the soil and lying down on the soil. There's no way a little paw can dig in the pot without encountering many thorns.

As I said, this is an experiment I started today. If the vines prove to be an effective squirrel deterrent, I will post back with the good news.

Wish me luck!

Fire Department told my husband and I to shoot them, they are a major factor in most attic house fires. My Vet calls them Tree Rats, most have Tape Worms. We use a high powered BB gun and shoot them. Make the first shot count!
Squirrels are not just cute little creatures anymore, they do a lot of damage.

Hello I'm so sorry I'm going to the same problem I don't know what to do either somebody help me I can't afford to build a fancy fence at this one persons talking about I'm all by myself I ordered all kinds of plants from Burpee and they're all gone now they cheered he chewed them all away

I'm so sorry. If you plant again get some squirrel spray.

It will help keep them away. Try it with the less expensive ones first, though.

The post about the rocks gave me a good idea. I had several large tiles left over from a remodel. So I broke them into pieces and placed them next to al the plants. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the little pains won't go for my plants because they can't get to the dirt. I'll let you know how it works.

Anonymous

I think it's a flipping conspiracy at my house!! Lol....I have one crazy squirrel against me! I chased him off my ivy on the porch & the little sh-t came right back & dug it up again. Only that one ivy & it had a couple of moth balls in it...He's got it in for me! Too crazy! Right?

Anonymous

I do the same with holly branches, the kind that has sharp points on leaf edges. It's fairly successful.

I just trimed my rose bush so i'm going to cut seveal lenghts and put them in my pots to see if this will help or mouse traps

I just came in the house from clipping small rose branches to try as squirrel deterrent also. Did it work for you?

Thanks.

My husband came up with a great inexpensive (albeit inhumane in some folks' opinion) solution. Set a rat trap on the dirt. I have squirrels GALORE. We have two large pecan trees, and we never get even one pecan. When I planted some vegetables in containers the little pests started digging up my seedlings' peat pellets and just leaving them them there to dry and die. I set a rat trap on one pot to test, and so far (4 days) not one squirrel has touched it. I love all critters, but I'll be boiled in oil before I let one destroy all my hard work.

Amen!

OMG...I thnk these are great ideas..I will be trying ths at HM.I have been doing the cayenne pepper and it rains and I have to add more,it also doesn't look pretty all over the plants and soil,the cayenne pepper tends to mold as well,It's a messy look and at times I still see some digging regard less of the cayenne pepper..

thnk you, I'm sure this will wrk.
I'm looking forward to getting this done on my planters.

.
.

Good luck! Let us know if it worked!

This could injure squirrels, cats and other animals. Please use a different method.

Not nice at all. There's no need to do something that will possible cut a squirrels paws. They were here before you. Do something else.