Dog Digging in Carpet

It is frustrating to try prevent your dog from digging in the carpet. This is a guide about dog digging in carpet.

My dog is obsessed with one particular corner of our carpet. She won't stop digging. No cat has ever been here. Is there something I can spray to keep her away from it?

By Kathy from Grand Junction, CO

Dog Digging in Carpet

I have a Dachshund-Beagle Mix, about 3 years old, we rescued him as a puppy. His mother was found abandoned. Hands down, one of the best dogs I've ever had, and he's my first small dog - and he and our Golden Retriever are the best of friends. (This picture is about 2 years old.)

My question is - He loves to rub his face and ears on the carpet and then he aggressively digs into the carpet. We refer to it as 'digging to China.' He is definitely a burrower as to the breed. Just curious about the 'carpet digging' and also why he stands or sits with his one paw lifted. If anyone has a clue - let me know. Thanks!

Nancy from Chicago IL

Answers:

Dog Digging in Carpet

Right off hand reminds me of one of many symptoms my Shih-tzu suffered. Turned out to be related to food intolerance. I have seen it posted on many sites as a symptom related to food allergy/intolerance as well. You may want to check that out. (07/26/2008)

By Chicklet

Dog Digging in Carpet

They're adorable! It sounds like the rubbing face thing could be an allergy too. Very common. It could be a food or an outdoor allergy. I would have him tested. (07/28/2008)

By Me

Dog Digging in Carpet

My wiener dog rubbed his face all the time and dug to China all the time too. Since they are bred to chase badgers, I think the digging is instinct. They are dogs bred to dig into a hole and pull something out. They have hearts of lions! As far as the paw thing, he just might be getting attention. If you have checked his pads and between the pads and he's fine, it's a learned behavior. Wiener dogs can sit straight up. (07/28/2008)

By allison

Dog Digging in Carpet

Lots of dogs sit or stand with one paw raised. It's usually when they want something almost as if they are asking please. (07/28/2008)

By cazpumpkin

Dog Digging in Carpet

It could be that the static electricity in the carpet annoys him. (07/28/2008)

By Lily May

Dog Digging in Carpet

Dachshunds are natural diggers and love to burrow into things. Rubbing his face and shoulders may be a way of scratching his head. (07/29/2008)

By sue

Dog Digging in Carpet

My Shih-Tzu loves to dig into the carpet, couch, pillow, whatever. She also likes to rub her face on the carpet after eating, bathing, or just when she's playing. I think she's trying to wipe her face off (like a napkin) with the carpet. She's too small to do any real damage to anything, so we just let her go. It's pretty funny to watch. Your dogs are cute. Best wishes. (08/05/2008)

By Kathy