Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden

Has your vegetable garden become the salad bowl for the local squirrel population? If so, then you are probably looking for a way to keep them out. This is a guide about keeping squirrels out of a vegetable garden.

A squirrel eating a pumpkin in a vegetable garden.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Does anyone know how to keep ground squirrels from eating my bush beans and cucumber plants? They eat the blossom on the bean plants before the beans have formed and they are eating the leaves on my cucumber vines.

By Diana W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sprinkle "Bon Ami" around the plants and on them. I also use this when planting bulbs in the winter and it keeps all the animals from eating my bulbs. Bon Ami is a cleaner like "comet" but has no bleach that would hurt the animals.

Any ideas on how to keep squirrels from digging up my seeds and small plants from my container gardens? I don't want to scare them from the entire yard, just keep them out of my pots so my veggies can grow!

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Liberally sprinkle everything with Cayenne Pepper. You can get big containers of it at most dollar stores. The squirrels will get the message.

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of chipmunks and squirrels in my garden, without hurting them?

By Kimberly

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

BTW, Jerry actually said the following about keeping squirrels out of the garden:

"Or douse your plants with my Hot Bite Spray: 3 tbsp. of cayenne pepper, 2 cups of hot water, 1 tbsp. of hot sauce, 1 tbsp. of ammonia, and 1 tbsp. of baby shampoo."

http://www.jerrybaker.net/Garden/Information/TipsAndTonics.aspx

Read More Answers...

I have a plot in our neighborhood community gardens. This year we are being plagued with ground squirrels. I do not want to kill them with poisonous stuff (we are an organic garden), but I would like some ideas on how to repel them. They are very bold. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By Annie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know how you can actually get rid of them permanently, but I know how you can get them out of their holes and probably discourage them from hanging around. Water! My dad used to catch and sell ground squirrels and prairie dogs here in Texas. Ground squirrels holes are smaller and they are easier to flush out.

Get the largest bucket you can find, a large paint bucket and fill with water and pour down the holes. They will come out in a hurry to keep from drowning (prairie dogs take considerably more water, my father used a water truck on them.) Anyway, I imagine if you flush some out of their holes, they will definitely not go back to those holes, although they may go make some more.

Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksJuly 16, 2013
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Squirrels outside.
Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House
A squirrel rubbing its paws together.
Keeping Squirrels Out of an RV
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 2:20:59 PM on 10.0.2.56 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.