Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A squirrel eating a pumpkin in a vegetable garden.

Has your vegetable garden become the salad bowl for the local squirrel population? If so, then you are probably looking for a way to keep them out. This is a guide about keeping squirrels out of a vegetable garden.

Here are questions related to Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden.

Question: Ground Squirrels Eating Beans and Cucumbers

Does anyone know how to keep ground squirrels from eating my bush beans and cucumber plants? They eat the blossom on the bean plants before the beans have formed and they are eating the leaves on my cucumber vines.

By Diana W.

Most Recent Answer

By cev4807/22/2013

Sprinkle "Bon Ami" around the plants and on them. I also use this when planting bulbs in the winter and it keeps all the animals from eating my bulbs. Bon Ami is a cleaner like "comet" but has no bleach that would hurt the animals.

Question: Pesky Ground Squirrels in the Garden

I have a plot in our neighborhood community gardens. This year we are being plagued with ground squirrels. I do not want to kill them with poisonous stuff (we are an organic garden), but I would like some ideas on how to repel them. They are very bold. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By Annie

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki [21]10/11/2011

I don't know how you can actually get rid of them permanently, but I know how you can get them out of their holes and probably discourage them from hanging around. Water! My dad used to catch and sell ground squirrels and prairie dogs here in Texas. Ground squirrels holes are smaller and they are easier to flush out.

Get the largest bucket you can find, a large paint bucket and fill with water and pour down the holes. They will come out in a hurry to keep from drowning (prairie dogs take considerably more water, my father used a water truck on them.) Anyway, I imagine if you flush some out of their holes, they will definitely not go back to those holes, although they may go make some more.

Question: Squirrels vs. Container Garden Veggies

Any ideas on how to keep squirrels from digging up my seeds and small plants from my container gardens? I don't want to scare them from the entire yard, just keep them out of my pots so my veggies can grow!

By Dawn

Most Recent Answer

By Linda06/09/2011

Liberally sprinkle everything with Cayenne Pepper. You can get big containers of it at most dollar stores. The squirrels will get the message.

Question: Keeping Squirrels Out of the Garden

How do I get rid of chipmunks and squirrels in my garden, without hurting them?

By Kimberly

Most Recent Answer

By jlw6107/09/2013

BTW, Jerry actually said the following about keeping squirrels out of the garden:

"Or douse your plants with my Hot Bite Spray: 3 tbsp. of cayenne pepper, 2 cups of hot water, 1 tbsp. of hot sauce, 1 tbsp. of ammonia, and 1 tbsp. of baby shampoo."

http://www.jerrybaker.net/Garden/Information/TipsAndTonics.aspx

Solutions: Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!