Squirrels vs. Container Garden Veggies?

Any ideas on how to keep squirrels from digging up my seeds and small plants from my container gardens? I don't want to scare them from the entire yard, just keep them out of my pots so my veggies can grow!

By Dawn

That is a good question, however, I know what I would do if it was legal to shoot pellet guns in the town where I live.

I know what I'd do to you if ditto, knuckle stagger.

Squirrels always hit me in the spring. I don't know how many peanuts I've found buried in my raised beds, and I sure didn't plant them there! The best thing I've found is to protect them with garden netting. I set up a kind of tent which helps keep other curious critters away too. If they're really determined chicken wire can help.

I had the same prob. every year with squirrels and chipmunks in my container gardens, pots and even in the flower beds. They use to dig and eat my seeds as fast as I could plant them. Now I cover the area where the seeds are planted with a black plastic mesh that I picked up in a huge roll at a garage sale (woohoo .25). I think it's the stuff that you put in your rain gutters where the downspout is to keep leaves out.

But screening of any kind would work, hardware cloth, etc.

I watch closely until the seeds start to sprout then I cut a circle out where the plant is coming up and leave the screening to combat the critters digging to bury nuts and such--so they won't disturb the new plants. This has worked perfectly the past 4 or 5 years. Oh, I just secure the screen in place with twigs or rocks or whatever I have handy.
Happy gardening,
~gloria

Liberally sprinkle everything with Cayenne Pepper. You can get big containers of it at most dollar stores. The squirrels will get the message.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 27, 2011
🐛
🎆
😎
🌻
👔
😷