Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I keep my brown sugar in the bag and it gets hard when I want use it for the next time. When I tied it and put it up in the cupboard, it still gets hard. What can I do?

Dorothy

Answers:

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

My Grandma always swore by a slice of apple in the bag. (02/12/2008)

By doodles

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

What works for me is my microwave. Put the whole package in the microwave on top of a pot holder and warm it up a couple of minutes. It will finally break apart and you can work the sugar with a fork while it's warm. Add another minute, etc. until sugar breaks apart easily. (02/12/2008)

By Lorelei

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

Seems for different people different things work. For me I find air causes hardening within 1 week. If I suck out all the air, twist tie the bag and double bag it into a Zip Lock bag that has the air removed, it will last for several months and remain soft. If any air gets to it, I find it goes hard in less than 1 week. When I see my brown sugar starting to go hard, I simply add slices of apple, rebag and within 48 hours I have soft sugar again. (02/13/2008)

By Chicklet

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I found some Terra cotta bears (made for this purpose) at a local kitchen store. I put one in each of my sugar canisters and salt canister, also. No more lumps or hardening. They're pretty inexpensive, about $2.50 each. It comes with directions too, as sugars and salts differ. Hope this helps. (02/13/2008)

By Darlene

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

The slice of bread works great I do it all the time. A slice of bread also works if your homemade cookies are too hard. (02/13/2008)

By Ann

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I keep my brown sugar in the freezer. It takes a minute or two to become very soft and then I measure it and pop it back in the freezer. I have been doing this for years and have had no problems. (02/13/2008)

By Andrea

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I put mine in a Tupperware container. Stays fresh forever.
(02/14/2008)

By rda

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
🎉
🎄