Storing Sugar

Category Dry Storage
This page is about how sugar can be stored properly to achieve the longest possible shelf life.

Quick Answer!

Storing Sugar: Granulated sugar, powdered sugar and brown sugar should be kept in a sealed, air-tight container and stored in a cool, dry location.

Shelf Life of Sugar: If sugar is free from pests and other contaminants, it has an indefinite shelf life when stored properly. Keep reading for more tips, information and creative ideas for storing sugar from the ThriftyFun community.

Pour sugar into a clean used plastic orange juice jug. It makes it easier to pour into a measuring cup and by shaking the jug it removes the lumps.

Source: My Mom

By JodiT from Aurora. CO

How do I make a jar airtight or at least as airtight as possible without a gasket? I have a set of glass storage jars, but they only have plastic lids, no gaskets. I would like to store my sugar in here, but knowing how easily brown sugar cakes and hardens I want to do as much prevention as I can.

By Elaine from Canada

Answers:

Storing Sugar

Put a piece of bread-any ordinary kind will do-in the container with the brown sugar. The bread will help the sugar stay soft. You will need to change the bread as it becomes stale and dries out. Hope this helps. (09/19/2010)

By moseley3

Storing Sugar

Keep your brown sugar in a plastic bag and use a twist tie, then put in your storage jar. (09/19/2010)

By MCW

Storing Sugar

You can probably get replacement rubber seals for those jars, especially if you have a good hardware store around that still carries household goods in addition to hardware goods. If you don't see, ask, they may be able to order them! (09/20/2010)

By Jilson

Storing Sugar

You can put a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth of the bottle and then just put the lid on over it. Works fine for me. (09/22/2010)

By fresca03

Storing Sugar

I was going to say the same thing. The bread in the brown sugar works very well to keep it from hardening. (10/10/2010)

By wilma2

Tips for storing sugar. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Using Milk Containers for Sugar

Has anyone ever done this? I don't know what your milk comes in, but ours comes in plastic containers with screw on lids. I use it to store sugar! It pours easily so it is usually not too messy. It holds at least a bag of sugar.

By Maureen W (01/30/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Storing Sugar

Do not store your sugar in old milk containers the plastic will really not be clean and it could leech the milk into your stored stuff. Use 2 liter pop bottles. Rinse them with warm water and air dry completely. (09/25/2007)

By Dorinda

Storing Sugar

I recently bought sugar that came in an easy pour container. It looks like a paper carton of milk. When its empty I'm just going to refill it. (12/06/2007)

By Dawn

Storing Sugar

I store my sugar in Lock and Lock containers. The have gaskets around the lid that keeps all the moisture out and the sugar stays nice and soft. Even my brown sugar stays nice this way. I have some brown sugar that I've had for 2 months and I can still pick up the container and the brown sugar moves around easily in it when I tip it.

In answer to Debbie T. about storing it in the freezer, yes it can, but depending on the container you keep it in, it will get hard. But there will not be a thing wrong with it. I used to keep mine in the freezer too until I discovered the Lock and Lock. (06/15/2009)

By Cricketnc

Storing Sugar

I also use clean/dry 2L bottles and find them very useful for sugar, salt, and other pourables. (01/09/2010)

By fratermus