Fixing A Recipe with Too Much Sugar

Category Food Fixes
When the directions you followed have made your recipe too sweet, there are a few ways to tone it down. This is a page about fixing a recipe with too much sugar.

How can I reduce sugar in a brown sugar syrup? It tastes too sweet, but I am not sure how to reduce the sweetness and still keep the same consistency. I made it from recipes I found on line, but really need it to be less sweet.

Answers

Add some citrus juice.

Start small as it can go sour fast. A drop or two of lemon or orange or lime juice should work.

Taste literally after each drop, and by drop I mean an eye dropper drop.

Thank you so much...I believe this will work! :)

Thank you so much...I believe it will work and I will go slowly as I think I overdid the vanilla a bit:)

Hope I turns around for you!

Anonymous

That was very good I will try the same for my lemonade, thank you and have a lovely day and I always say

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. It is very hard to say but is very easy to me because I have learned so many time. Any ways it is very good.
Thank you

I added too much sugar while cooking turnip greens. Is there any way to tone the sugar taste down? Sort of like you do when you add a potato if you've added too much salt.

By Carolyn Phillips from Shreveport, LA

Answers

I suggest to add more water to them let boil a few minutes then drain. If you want more water add more. I like bread in it.

Vinegar would counteract the sugar to make sweet & sour greens.

Was afraid to add vinegar so went with the "add more water" route. It worked!

I drained them, added more water and boiled the fool out of them for about 5 min, then drained again. Thank you so much. I had too much cooked to just throw away.

It's so much healthier to just steam those greens and don't add sugar. Just use a little butter, salt & pepper on them when you eat them (light on the butter). They are loaded with iron and so good for you.

I was afraid to add vinegar also, so I just drained and added new water boiled for 5 mins. Then drained and added new water again with salt and garlic powder boiled for 20 minutes. They are delicious. Thanks.

How can I fix the problem when I put too much brown sugar in my sweet potatoes? Will salt work?

Answers

There are a few simple solutions to correct the problem with too much sugar added to your food.

• Try adding 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt for each cup of food. Stir with a wooden spoon to fully combine the salt in the food. Continue adding the salt a little at a time until you have neutralized the sweetness.
  • If it is salad, potato dishes, or rice dishes add vinegar with these foods. They will counteract the salt in the food. Use either red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
  • You can also double your recipe and don't add the sugar.
  • If you add rosemary, oregano, herbs de Provence, thyme, basil or tarragon this will reduce the sugar in the foods taste.

How do you counter balance when you have added too much sugar to a recipe?

By Faye S

Answers

Used a Brunswick stew recipe that called for brown sugar. With tomatoes, made way too sweet. Checked your site to see how to tone it down. Used couple of spoons of white vinegar and lemon juice. Seems to help. Will let you know when I serve it tonight.

If you add too much sugar or other sweet ingredients to your chili, it may not be a total loss. This is a page about fixing chili that is too sweet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Sometimes your soup is good, but somehow it got too much sweetener. This page is about fixing soup that is too sweet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

There are certain techniques to use when you have made something too sweet. This is a page about fixing a homemade cake that is too sweet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about making spaghetti sauce less sweet. Sometimes homemade spaghetti sauce can turn out too sweet.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJuly 21, 2015
🌻
📓
🎂