Sugar Tips and Tricks

Category Food Info
A pantry staple sweetener that is used in many ways and recipes. This guide contains sugar tips and tricks.

Usually sugar clump inside a jar, right? It can be hard to break it into pieces. Here's a tricky tip: If you have marshmallows, put 3-5 inside the jar. The marshmallows will absorb the air inside the jar that causes the sugar to clump.

This might sound funny, but I will explain. Being a diabetic, I recently discovered that the sugar cubes are portion controlled and better for me than artificial sweeteners, which make me sick.

However, sometimes I need to sprinkle sugar on say spaghetti sauce or chili. I came up with this little trick. Simply put the cubes between two saucers and gently rock them back and forth, pressing down. You will crush the cube between the nested saucers and then you can sprinkle away!

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Colored Decorator Sugar: If you don't have decorator sugar, you can make some by placing 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a re-sealable plastic food bag. Add the desired food color, one drop at a time. Seal bag and knead food color into sugar by hand. To eliminate speckles of color in the sugar, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even.

Brown Sugar: To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tbsp. molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tbsp. molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. I prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tbsp molasses. To eliminate speckles of molasses in the sugar, pour in a re-sealable plastic food bag and, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even. I make a double batch every time.

Powdered Sugar: Add 2 cups granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a blender jar and blend on high for 2 minutes. Store in an air tight bag.

Source: http://www.recipezaar.com

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

I came in from the store having bought sugar on sale, and was looking for another cannister to put it in when I spied the new 2 quart lidded pitcher I had picked up at the dollar store the day before. Sure enough - the pitcher makes a great and handy container for sugar. A 4 lb bag fills it to the top and the slotted spout allows me to pour the sugar just easily enough for measuring - A 2 quart or less size is about as heavy as I would go depending on the strength of the lid and the handle - it's easy to grip,and no spills. I was tickled pink!

By Cathy from Delaware

Granulated sugar should be store in a sealed container in a cool dry location. If sugar is a free from pests and other contaminants and stored properly, it has an indefinite shelf life. Keep reading for more tips and information about storing sugar.

Storing Sugar

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about fixing a recipe with too much sugar. When the directions you followed have made your recipe too sweet, there are a few ways to tone it down.

granulated and cube sugar

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making homemade sugar cubes. A fun way to have festive sugar for a party or gathering is to make your own cubes.

Homemade Sugar Cubes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When sugar gets hard, there are ways to make it useful. This guide is about softening granulated sugar.

Softening Granulated Sugar

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes