Sugar Tips and Tricks

Category Food Info
A pantry staple sweetener that is used in many ways and recipes. This guide contains sugar tips and tricks.

This might sound funny, but I will explain. Being a diabetic, I recently discovered that the sugar cubes are portion controlled and better for me than artificial sweeteners, which make me sick.

However, sometimes I need to sprinkle sugar on say spaghetti sauce or chili. I came up with this little trick. Simply put the cubes between two saucers and gently rock them back and forth, pressing down. You will crush the cube between the nested saucers and then you can sprinkle away!

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

Usually sugar clump inside a jar, right? It can be hard to break it into pieces. Here's a tricky tip: If you have marshmallows, put 3-5 inside the jar.

The marshmallows will absorb the air inside the jar that causes the sugar to clump.

Colored Decorator Sugar: If you don't have decorator sugar, you can make some by placing 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a re-sealable plastic food bag. Add the desired food color, one drop at a time. Seal bag and knead food color into sugar by hand. To eliminate speckles of color in the sugar, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even.

Brown Sugar: To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tbsp. molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tbsp. molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. I prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tbsp molasses. To eliminate speckles of molasses in the sugar, pour in a re-sealable plastic food bag and, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even. I make a double batch every time.

Powdered Sugar: Add 2 cups granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a blender jar and blend on high for 2 minutes. Store in an air tight bag.

Source: http://www.recipezaar.com

By Marjorie from Lewiston, NY

I came in from the store having bought sugar on sale, and was looking for another cannister to put it in when I spied the new 2 quart lidded pitcher I had picked up at the dollar store the day before. Sure enough - the pitcher makes a great and handy container for sugar.

Granulated sugar should be store in a sealed container in a cool dry location. If sugar is a free from pests and other contaminants and stored properly, it has an indefinite shelf life.

Keep reading for more tips and information about storing sugar.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about fixing a recipe with too much sugar. When the directions you followed have made your recipe too sweet, there are a few ways to tone it down.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making homemade sugar cubes. A fun way to have festive sugar for a party or gathering is to make your own cubes.

When sugar gets hard, there are ways to make it useful. This guide is about softening granulated sugar.

If I wanted to use marshmallow cream in place of 1/4 cup of sugar to sweeten a recipe, what would the conversion be?

Answers

Replacing sugar in a recipe

1. You can replace sugar with so many other foods or syrups.
  2. Ad

3. For example, you can use honey, or even maple syrup.
  4. You can even use bananas to replace sugar.
  5. Some people like to use agave or even stevia.
  6. Unfortunately, I can find anyone who has ever tried to use marshmallow cream in place of sugar.
  7. I personally don't think this can be done. I am so sorry. I have searched and searched and in the end nobody has ever done this before.

It seems that they are both just as sweet. I would try 1/4 cup. You have nothing to lose.

A substitution may work in some recipes but may not mix properly in others.

• Marshmallow Cream has several other ingredients so think about that before you substitute.
  • Here is a list of common ingredients:
  • Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Egg Whites, Artificial Flavor, Cream of Tartar, Xanthan Gum, Artificial Color
  • Ad

• It is possible you have no sugar at the moment and just wish to substitute something for a recipe right now so I would say to try about the same amount as sugar in recipe and hope for the best.