Using Frozen Cabbage

Category Food Info
When frozen, the texture of all vegetables changes whether blanched or not. This guide is about using frozen cabbage.

I have a head of cabbage which I froze. I now would like to make ham and cabbage. Would the cabbage be alright to thaw and use in this recipe? I use cabbage, ham, and sliced potatoes along with caraway seeds.

Answers

Absolutely Yes!

Thanks it was helpful waiting on my cabbage to defrost

Yes you can freeze it before and after cooking it.

After thawing, can you fry it and will it be crisp?

Answers

Best Answer

Freezing cabbage is really not recommended because of the water content in the cabbage. If you want to fry this it will be very wet and limp. It more than likely will soak up a lot of the oil in the pan and not taste too good. The only way you might be able to use this, is to boil it and make a cabbage soup.

Can you use frozen cabbage for soups?

By Eva S.

Answers

Certainly! And frozen leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, peppers, peas, spinach, carrots, parsnips. Go for it.

Absolutely! Frozen cabbage is wonderful in soups. Cut into wedges first, blanch for 90 sec, pop into ice water to stop cooking and freeze.

Will last a while. Enjoy

Can frozen cabbage be eaten raw, like for cole slaw?

By Gammy from Brighton, TN

Answers

Well, I'd say, yes, because I have a recipe for "freezer slaw" that doesn't cook the ingredients. You make up a big batch and store it in small containers in the freezer. It's almost like a relish or chow-chow. Having said that, I don't think frozen cabbage would do well in a mayo based slaw. Of course, you could try a cup full and experiment before freezing lots and lots of it.

If you freeze it in a vinegar base freezer slaw recipe it's fine when you take it out as a cole slaw if you want a creamy slaw drain the broth and add mayonnaise.

If you don't make freezer slaw it will be limp, and usable in soup or other cooked dishes, but not very tasty to eat raw.

Frozen Coleslaw
1 large head cabbage, shredded (I just use a bag of pre-shredded cabbage)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
(I like to add some chopped green onions to mine, and I also add 1/3 cup cooking oil to the ingredients that are boiled.)

Combine vegetables; sprinkle with salt, and let stand 1 hour. Drain mixture if water accumulates.

Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute, Cool. Pour over cabbage mixture; stir well. Freeze in plastic freezer bags or containers. To serve, thaw in refrigerator. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
Mrs. Varden Hiner, Abilene, Texas Southern Living Magazine, many years ago.

jsham, AR

Thank you so much for this recipes have a blessed day

Can I make sauerkraut using frozen cabbage?

By Judy from St. James, MN

Answers

No. Frozen cabbage has already been damaged to some extent. Sauerkraut is a fermentation process which takes place over some days, and I have no doubt you'd have a really smelly mess on your hands.

If you mean the cabbage was frozen in the field, and the inner head is not frozen, you can use any part not frozen. Sauerkraut is fermented at about 70 degrees so you'd have to be able to keep it at that temperature. Not hotter, not colder. A heated kitchen is good.

Ok, so I have a question. I had 5 cabbage given to me and I made 24 jars last year of sauerkraut and it was amazing. I do not have time to make it right now so I blanched and froze the cabbage in baggies. When I come back, can I use it in a stone crock pot and make my sauerkraut? I do not know what else to do with it.

Did you get an answer about using frozen cabbage for making sauerkraut later? I have planted many in the garden and want to freeze some and make the kraut later, a little at a time because I don't want to can it.

I tried making sauerkraut last fall for the first time. As i didn't have a large container I decided to use the freezer bag method and froze the rest (cut up but not blanched). At 25 cents a pound I couldn't pass it up. The sauerkraut was great. The cabbage was a little soft, fine for soup and casseroles but a little softer than I like it for stir fries which is how I like to use it other than coleslaw. I came to this site for info on using frozen cabbage and thanks to your warning will pass that up and try some more next fall.

I used 4 liter zip lock freezer bags. By squeezing the air out before zipping the back closed keeps the cabbage submerged in the brine thereby eliminating the chance of mold developing and when it has finished fermenting you can just pop it in the freezer. Plus no need to sterilize your containers and if you do have a problem it would be less likely to contaminate every bag. I am now looking for recipes using other vegetables. They are so good for you!

I want to use cabbage with corned beef, but the cabbage froze on my deck. I forgot to bring it in after shopping. Can I still use it it's still whole?

By Patricia S.

Answers

No! You would not want to eat it.