Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Frozen Cabbage

When frozen, the texture of all vegetables changes whether blanched or not. This guide is about using frozen cabbage.

August 15, 2016 Flag

I have a head of cabbage which I froze. I now would like to make ham and cabbage. Would the cabbage be alright to thaw and use in this recipe? I use cabbage, ham, and sliced potatoes along with caraway seeds.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely Yes!

August 20, 2014 Flag

Can you use frozen cabbage for soups?

By Eva S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Certainly! And frozen leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, peppers, peas, spinach, carrots, parsnips. Go for it.

June 27, 2011 Flag

Can frozen cabbage be eaten raw, like for cole slaw?

By Gammy from Brighton, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, I'd say, yes, because I have a recipe for "freezer slaw" that doesn't cook the ingredients. You make up a big batch and store it in small containers in the freezer. It's almost like a relish or chow-chow. Having said that, I don't think frozen cabbage would do well in a mayo based slaw. Of course, you could try a cup full and experiment before freezing lots and lots of it.

If you freeze it in a vinegar base freezer slaw recipe it's fine when you take it out as a cole slaw if you want a creamy slaw drain the broth and add mayonnaise.

If you don't make freezer slaw it will be limp, and usable in soup or other cooked dishes, but not very tasty to eat raw.

Frozen Coleslaw

1 large head cabbage, shredded (I just use a bag of pre-shredded cabbage)

1 green pepper, chopped

1 large carrot, shredded

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup vinegar

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon celery seeds

(I like to add some chopped green onions to mine, and I also add 1/3 cup cooking oil to the ingredients that are boiled.)

Combine vegetables; sprinkle with salt, and let stand 1 hour. Drain mixture if water accumulates.

Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute, Cool. Pour over cabbage mixture; stir well. Freeze in plastic freezer bags or containers. To serve, thaw in refrigerator. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Mrs. Varden Hiner, Abilene, Texas Southern Living Magazine, many years ago.

jsham, AR

Thank you so much for this recipes have a blessed day

February 1, 2010 Flag

Can I make sauerkraut using frozen cabbage?

By Judy from St. James, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No. Frozen cabbage has already been damaged to some extent. Sauerkraut is a fermentation process which takes place over some days, and I have no doubt you'd have a really smelly mess on your hands.

If you mean the cabbage was frozen in the field, and the inner head is not frozen, you can use any part not frozen. Sauerkraut is fermented at about 70 degrees so you'd have to be able to keep it at that temperature. Not hotter, not colder. A heated kitchen is good.

Ok, so I have a question. I had 5 cabbage given to me and I made 24 jars last year of sauerkraut and it was amazing. I do not have time to make it right now so I blanched and froze the cabbage in baggies. When I come back, can I use it in a stone crock pot and make my sauerkraut? I do not know what else to do with it.

January 11, 2012 Flag

I want to use cabbage with corned beef, but the cabbage froze on my deck. I forgot to bring it in after shopping. Can I still use it it's still whole?

By Patricia S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No! You would not want to eat it.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoDecember 15, 2013
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 6:30:27 AM on 10.0.2.70 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.