Fixing Chili That is Too Sweet

Category Food Fixes
If you add too much sugar or other sweet ingredients to your chili, it may not be a total loss. This is a guide about fixing chili that is too sweet.

I put too much sugar in a batch of Chili and was wondering what to do.

Any ideas?

Dale from Pelican Rapids, MN

Answers

Best Answer

I'd probably try adding more cider vinegar and yellow mustard first, a little at a time, tasting as you go. More onions might be in order as well. Another trick you might try is adding a bit of unsweetened or semisweet cocoa powder or perhaps a little instant coffee. Keep in mind that you are experiamenting here and be careful. Try these tricks by putting a few spoons of chili in a small bowl or coffee cup and play with very small amounts at a time, writing notes on what you did and how it came out. Who knows, you might create a great recipe!! It is a good idea to play with this stuff on a small scale though; if you're like me you are going to eat your mistakes so it's best to keep them to a minimum.

By (Guest Post)

why would you put sugar in chili in the first place?

I put sugar in my chili if it tends to have too much "tomato" taste...don't know how to describe it but the sugar seems to mellow it out a little. I never measure anything! I just don't have the patience for it! I've created some awesome recipes experimenting, so I try to keep track of what I'm doing!

I agree with the vinegar and onions tip though. I wish my mom would have taught me to cook, she made the most awesome chili and it was sweet. It was so good though! Guess I better start experimenting again! Good luck!
JoAnn
Elkhart, IN

Yes, why would you put sugar in chili in the first place? I've made lots of chili and never added sugar. I have heard of putting some in spaghetti sauce, to cut down on acidity....I've just never done it. I would think you'd have to add some heat to take away the sweetness.