Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Category Food Fixes
Sometimes homemade spaghetti sauce can turn out too sweet. This is a guide about making spaghetti sauce less sweet.

My tomato sauce is WAY too sweet. I've even added a Rosa wine to it and reheated. Do you think if I add another can of tomato paste it will rid most of the sweetness?

Lynn from Massachusetts

Answers

Try adding a little bit of vinegar until it gets to where
you want.

By Annie (Guest Post)

Try adding some very strong coffee or some instant coffee.

Hi, i don't know how you make your sauce, but I do know some people put in sugar, but don't add it. Please write how you make your sauce and we can tell you what you are doing wrong with it.

Tomato paste should help, and you might add some grated sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese. The vinegar trick works well but you'll probably want to use more tomato paste so it doesn't thin down too much. Haven't tried the coffee trick but it sounds interesting.

You didn't say what you use the sauce on; I make one sweet (two cans tomatoes, stick of butter... NOT oleo... 1/2 cup sugar, and vinegar, salt, and hot crushed red chilis to taste) to serve on collards and other greens. If you stew this for awhile it's great. With a little doctoring your sauce might adapt well to collards.

By Laura (Guest Post)

I would try some hot sauce, a little at a time until you like the taste. It can make it hot, of course, depending how much you use. It will take away some of the sweet.

Thank you all for your feedback! I greatly appreciate it.

This is my first time ever making homemade tomato sauce. I used several tomatoes from our garden (very ripe) and dropped them in boiling water to peel them. I sauted onion and minced garlic in a pan, then added the tomatoes breaking them up while stirring. Basil, salt and 3 bay leaves were also added with 1 cup of water and 1 can of tomato paste.

I added about 1 tbsp of sugar, my husband thought more was needed, and I added about the same amount of brown sugar. I thought more was needed and added light brown sugar (about 3 tbsp) because I ran out of dark brown sugar. Too sweet - this website said add red wine, I did a lot and it helped only a little.
My husband said not too bad - he'll eat it with the browned hamburger I will add to it.
This sauce is for pasta.
Thank you again -

By Laura Knox (Guest Post)

My experience with tomato paste is that it's sweet in itself. Tomato sauce has lots of sodium, but if you check the back of the tomato paste can, it usually has very little sodium & more sugar. Tomatoes have natural sugar, so that makes sense. I would add tomato sauce before I would add tomato paste...but again, it all depends on what you've already put in there (what your recipe started with).

Hope that helps!

By Robin (Guest Post)

I know it might sound a bit strange, but I would try adding a bit of salt. To me, the opposite of sweet is salty so it just might work. Good luck!

By woofey (Guest Post)

Next time try adding a red wine. Rose is rather sweet.

I only add wine when the sauce is not sweet enough.These are great ideas - I never knew you could take out the sweetness.

If it happened to me, I would use the sauce for barbecue sauce. What do you think?

I made my spaghetti sauce too sweet! How can I fix it?

By Lisa from Geneva, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Hopefully I am not too late with this, try adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Check for sweetness and add more vinegar as needed. Canned tomatoes sometimes taste too sweet for us, so I always have the vinegar handy!

I made lots and lots of homemade spaghetti sauce, although its mighty tasty, I think its way too sweet, is there anyway for me to change it, when I am ready to make some pasta with it. I think I probably put too much brown sugar in it. Please help!

Genny from Portland, OR

Answers:

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Genny, a number of years ago I canned a gazillion quarts of unseasoned tomato sauce and the sauce was so sweet I couldn't use it at full strength. I hadn't added any sugar at all. The variety of tomato I used contained a lot of natural sugar (Pink Brandywine). Since then, I have had good luck with tomato varieties labeled "high acid content" or "old fashioned tomato flavor" and stay away from those that emphasize sweetness. Good canning varieties include Big Boy, Rutgers, Celebrity, Campbell's, Mountain Delight, Arkansas Traveler, Roma, and Amish Paste, just to name a few. Try to stay away from pink tomatoes for canning because they contain a lot of natural sugar. My mother, on the other hand, loves sweet tomato sauce and loves the sweet flavor the pink tomatoes give. Heinz makes a sugar-free canned spaghetti sauce that's very tasty. Perhaps you could mix it half and half with your current sauce. Good luck! (08/27/2004)

By Joni Dillon

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

I would, and I always do, make spaghetti sauce from scratch with this:
Cook some carrots and mash them and add to sauce.The amount depends on the amount of sauce you have to do. I have also used jarred baby food carrots to a prepared sauce. Mashed of course. (I am 61 and still keep baby food on hand.) (08/27/2004)

By Sheila

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

When my husband cooks homemade sauce and it's too sweet he slowly adds 1/2 Worchestershire sauce and 1/2 soy sauce, both reduced sodium, to the pot. It only takes a tiny amount, but it takes the extra sweetness out and gives it a really nice flavor (08/28/2004)

By Suzanne Spencer

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Just add some lemon juice to your sauce. Don't add any sugar to your
sauce, when you make it. The lemon juice works just fine, I've been a chef for 45 years,
(04/06/2005)

By Jimmie

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

I came online with this exact question and the answer was perfect. I used 1/2 capful lemon juice and it did the trick (in 2 pints sauce). Thank you! (04/15/2006)

By Jan

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Red wine also works to cut the sweetness instead of lemon and gives a nice flavor to boot! (04/05/2007)

By Maia

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

If you happen to make spaghetti sauce too sweet, add a little bit of white vinegar to it. It will take that sweetness away almost immediately. I tried this trick when my husband made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, once I added about a quarter cup of white vinegar to it, it was perfect. (02/14/2008)

By Christina