Should I Saute Onions for Spaghetti Sauce?

This is a guide about should I saute onions for spaghetti sauce? Many think that sauteing the onion, will bring out more flavor in your sauce.

I was wondering how important it is to saute cut up onion before adding the onion to spaghetti sauce? Someone told me that she just peels a whole onion and drops it whole into the sauce without sauteeing it. I have never heard of doing it that way. Has anyone ever tried it this way, and which way do you think would be best?

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

Best Answer

My father hates anything w/ onions, peppers, celery etc. cooked in it, so my mom would drop them whole into the sauce. Once they were cooked thru, she'd spoon them out and puree them smooth then stir it all back in. Even tho I prefer "chunky" sauce, I still remember this as the best homemade sauce ever!

Best Answer

I've never heard of the "whole onion method" before either, but it's sounds intriguing. I usually saute my onions to bring out the flavor too. I like them carmelized. A friend of mine makes her sauce by roasting all her vegetables, including a clove of garlic, first and then throwing them in a pot to simmer. It has a very robust flavor that goes well with her mother's meatball recipe (which she won't share with me, lol).

You can do do it either way. Sometimes I saute ground beef and onions, and then mix in the sauce. But I have also just put the un-sauteed chopped onions in the sauce, then I boiled it.

Anonymous

To saute the onion is to bring the flavor out. You want all the flavor, as well as the nutrition to be infused into your sauce. Hence, you should cut the onion up, as well as to saute it. Try it both ways, and you will likely see a big difference in flavor and texture. Happy cooking.
C. Heaven