Storing Powdered Sugar

Category Dry Storage
An airtight container is helpful to maintain the consistency of this food. This guide is about storing powdered sugar.

How do I keep my sugar from going hard in the bag?

By Shelly from Ashland, KY

Answers

Anonymous

Moisture causes sugar to harden. You can avoid that by storing it in an airtight container.

Put a cracker or two in the container, that's what I do.

I had that issue while living in Denver. Use a ziplock bag or a container that has a good seal. Add a slice of bread. You will have to change it every few days. Turn the stale bread into crumbs, make french toast from it, add it to dishes requiring bread, feed it to the birds, etc. I had to do the same thing when I made cookies.

Tupperware brand One Touch Reminder Canisters work great! They have a good seal so moisture is kept out, and they make it easy to scoop and measure ingredients.

And, if you order them in January, they're usually on sale! At, $25-39 for a set of four, they're a bit of an investment, but I'd say they're definitely worth it!

I don't want my powered sugar to harden in the pantry. What can I do to prevent that from happening?

By janet from Collierville, TN

Answers

I store all sugar in airtight plastic bags or a can, good luck.

Just keep it in an airtight container, but do NOT put a damp paper towel in with it. While that is great for brown sugar it will only cause powdered sugar to clump into one hard brick. This is the voice of experience!

I'd try putting the slightly opened bag of sugar in an airtight canister or plastic along with a wet paper towel. That has worked very well for my brown sugar.

Put a piece of chalk in the bag.