Substitute for Powdered Sugar

Category Substitutions
If you need powdered sugar for baking and have run out, you can make your own by grinding regular granulated sugar. This is a guide about substitute for powdered sugar.

If you are out of powdered sugar, put regular sugar in the blender and process on high until it turns powdery. Be sure to stir up the sugar on the bottom a couple of times so it all turns out to be the same consistency. Measure out the amount needed for your recipe!

By Roberta from Deltona, FL

Top Comment

You add corn starch to keep the sugar from clumping and caking. Commercial manufacturers of powedered sugar do this, which I learned of when in college Food Prep. courses.

By Roberta (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Yes, it is better with cornstarch added. Here is the formula: Mix 1 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon corn starch in blender until powdery, stirring often.

By jackie (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Thank you sooooooo much! I had no cornstarch like the other recipes said, so I put it in the blender and it worked. I tweaked it a little bit; I added a pinch of flour; when we use to make thickening for gravies, or sauces we would add a little flour in water; so I added flour and it worked. We're making cinnamon rolls.

thanks again

This is a guide about how to make confectioners (powdered) sugar. You don't need to run to the store to buy powdered sugar for the recipe you are making; make your own.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes