How to Make Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar

Category Baking
You don't need to run to the store to buy powdered sugar for the recipe you are making; make your own. This is a guide about how to make confectioners (powdered) sugar.

I make my own powdered (confectioner's) sugar. I whirl it in small amounts (1/2 cup or less) for a few seconds, maybe a minute, in the blender or food processor. I think it's cheaper than buying it. Since I always have sugar, I don't have an "extra box" sitting around, either.

By thriftyvicki from Dallas, TX

Anonymous

I tryed it did not work

After baking for Easter, I discovered I ran out of powdered sugar for the icing. After having a nervous breakdown, I remembered my mom, Wanda Colerick would make her own. I thought I would share with all of you!

Total Time: 10 seconds

Yield: 1 cup

Source: Mom

• 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Corn Starch

Directions:

• Using a blender, blend until powdery like powdered sugar!
  • Comment Was this helpful? 6
    Anonymous

This could be my saving grace. More later...

If you are out of powdered sugar, put regular sugar in the blender and process on high until it turns powdery. Be sure to stir up the sugar on the bottom a couple of times so it all turns out to be the same consistency.

To save some money during the holidays; Bubba's Quick Confectioners Sugar mixture!

Directions:

Pour sugar and cornstarch in to food processor, food chopper or blender. Turn on high until mixture is a fine powder.

Note: If your recipe calls for more than a cup, make some more!

Source: My Kitchen (and billfold!)

By johnluse from Columbus, GA

Superfine or 10X sugar (also known as Ultrafine, bakers, castor or bar sugar) is regular sugar that has been ground into a fine powder. It will dissolve easily into beverages and baking mixes.

How do you measure homemade powdered sugar? That is, when you grind up one cup of granulated sugar does it equal one cup of powdered sugar?

One cup of granulated sugar is equal to approximately 1 3/4 cups of packed powdered sugar.

Measure the granulated sugar as you would powdered sugar. The fillers actually add bulk and when you grind, it packs together tighter so one cup of granulated comes out to be just less than once cup of powdered, especially when it has left smudges on everything it touches.

I have made my own powdered sugar out of granulated sugar. I doesn't get as fine of a powder as store-bought, but I was just using a regular blender and didn't add any cornstarch.

If I did it again, I would add a little cornstarch mixed with the sugar before I started to blend/grind it. You will have to do some experimenting to see if the powder is as fine as you need it for your project.

Linda (in Mesa, AZ)

If the recipe calls for 1 cup of powdered sugar, I grind up 1 cup of regular sugar, measure it out in the powdered form and then toss the rest in the garden.

What is 10x sugar? Super fine?

By sooz

That usually refers to powdered sugar (confectioners sugar). There may be a difference between superfine and 10x, but I have never seen 'superfine' on a bag of sugar, only read it in recipes.

Best of luck to you in your cooking!

How can I make powdered sugar for commercial purposes? What anti-caking agent can I use? I would also like to preserve the powdered sugar for up to 2 years. Any suggestions?

By Ekas from Lagos, Nigeria

Anonymous

Can you explain in more detail what you mean for commercial use? I am fairly sure you can find out about making powdered sugar by doing an online search. I do know that powdered sugar is simply granulated sugar very finely sifted. Also, what do you mean by no caking agent? As for preserving it for up to two years it needs to be kept in sealed containers of some sort and completely kept away from moisture.

Ingredients

• 1 cup granulated sugar

Directions

Blend 1 cup of granulated sugar in blender until desired powder is produced. Easy and much less expensive than store bought powdered sugar!

By Karen from NH

Answers:

Homemade Powdered Sugar

i'v tried this a few times. Yes, it does work but it has a funny taste to it every time. (06/16/2006)

By annspam

Homemade Powdered Sugar

First, yes boxed has corn starch in it to keep it loose not clumpy. It is also called icing sugar in some places. Maybe that will help the German cook. But you can process it, it just takes forever and if you blender isn't strong enough will burn it out. Also I have never had luck getting it fine enough for frosting but I am trying again as my children cannot tolerate corn products. (09/18/2006)

By Melanie

Homemade Powdered Sugar

That was so easy! I will never buy powdered sugar again. Thank You (03/07/2007)

By Terri

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thank you all for the information. Could not believe how easy it was to make this inexpensive powdered sugar. (09/21/2007)

By Antoinette

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Very cute. However, powdered or confectioner's sugar has 3% cornstarch in it. It's not just table sugar in a very fine powdered form. Therefore, it has a different consistency and is used differently. (12/10/2007)

By Tracey

Homemade Powdered Sugar

My son is allergic to corn and I have to make powdered sugar for recipes as all commercial brands have cornstarch.
    I've found that a coffee grinder works very well. You have to make small batches and can't use one that has been used for coffee unless you want coffee flavored powdered sugar. (12/11/2007)

By Leanne

Homemade confectioner's sugar

G-ma said the same thing a lil cornstarch and a tad bit flour. and wallah or however its spelled. Have fun. (12/27/2007)

By T-mony German decendant

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thanks. You saved the day! (01/13/2008)

By C Silvia

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thanks for the hint. It is Easter morning and the nearest grocery store is 20 miles away and I didn't have enough powdered sugar. You saved my Easter cake. (03/23/2008)

By robinw

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thanks so much, it saved my cookies! (05/08/2008)

By stephanie

Homemade Powdered Sugar

I tried that advised and it worked, thanks so much =] (06/26/2008)

By Olivia

Homemade Powdered Sugar

This worked so well but don't use a blender, use a coffee grinder (12/06/2008)

By suzzy

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Thank you! It's Christmas morning and I am making cinnamon rolls and I forgot powdered sugar for the frosting. (12/25/2008)

By Sheila

Powdered sugar can be made from regular sugar in a conventional blender. This way you don't have to buy two types of sugar or make a special trip to the store!

By Diane from Chicago

Answers:

Make Powdered Sugar from Granulated Sugar

Commercial powdered sugar contains cornstarch; you may not get the same results in your recipes by "powdering" granulated sugar yourself without adding cornstarch to it. (11/12/2008)

By Guest

I never bothered to measure, I just did about a cup at a time and used what I needed for the recipe. I didn't realize there was corn starch in powdered sugar! I checked it out and you should add 2 tbsp to 1 cup of sugar.

Diane from Chicago (11/12/2008)

By bebhinne

Mix one cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Put them in the blender, cover and blend on the highest speed until it looks like confectioners sugar. It's really that simple. (11/15/2008)

By bebhinne

I want to learn how to make confectioners sugar.

Brenda

Answers:

I just put regular sugar in the blender. (01/08/2009)

It seems to have the same consistency to me. I use a vitamix so that might make the difference. (01/08/2009)

By Thursday_Next

Put regular sugar in a coffee grinder and whirl away. I have an extra grinder for pulverizing things that are not coffee. Or just wipe out the coffee in your grinder before you make the powdered sugar. For chocolate frosting, the coffee residue could enhance the flavor. (01/08/2009)

By pigeon toes

Just use granulated sugar and grind it. I use it for black powder and it works fine, don' know if it works for frosting but you can try if you want to. (02/19/2009)

By fossildog

I have made powdered sugar this way many times, As my husband and many friends are diabetics, I use Splenda instead of sugar, wonderful results. (10/08/2009)

By knsabear

If you run out of confectioners (powdered) sugar. Take granulated sugar and pour in blender, and blend until it is powdery. You can do a cup or 2 at a time. Editor's Note: You need to add 2 Tbsp. of corn starch per cup of granulated sugar.

By Sassy

Answers:

I had to add about 2 tbsp of corn starch per cup of sugar to it to make it the same consistency as Confectioners and i couldn't tell the difference after my frosting was made. Thanks for posting!

By Beth

All the powdered sugar you buy has corn starch already added to it. That is why you don't get the same result just by blending sugar in the Kitchen Aid. (01/18/2006)

By Jess

IMPORTANT NOTE: Actually, its not just about making the sugar into a fine powder in your blender and voila: for confectioner's sugar you must also add 3% corn starch to your mixture, not just to prevent caking (as some have mentioned) but also because it helps make your icing congeal (come together) and stay as firm as you desire, holding its shape. It would otherwise be too thin and runny without it and your icing would dribble all over, and eventually off of your dessert (after all, corn starch is a thickener and binder). (09/28/2007)

By ladybugjane

Is there anything else you can add to it besides corn starch? My daughter is allergic to corn? (12/28/2007)

By Risa

Risa, we also have a food- and sugar-sensitive household, so I've been making powdered erythritol (of all exotic things). If you can't use corn starch, any form of powdered starch will work: potato starch, arrowroot, tapioca starch. You should be able to get any of this in a health-food store, if you can't find it in the regular grocery store. About a tablespoon of any starch per cup of sugar will do it. Starch keeps the sugar from getting all burnt and melty too. You can also whip this up in a small food processor, if you prefer. (01/13/2008)

By McJohn

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.