Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes

Category Substitutions
If you are out of milk or just want a creamier flavor, try substituting half and half for the milk in a recipe. This is a guide about substituting half and half for milk in recipes.

Can I use half and half as a substitute for milk?

By Carolyn from Schuylerville, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, but half and half has more calories and more fat. I'd use the same ratio really, if it were me. Or maybe 2 1/2 cups half and half and 1/2 cup water. It's not likely to fail miserably whatever you do.

I'm making a banana cream pie. I only have half and half, not milk. Can I substitute this, and what ratio would I need to use to be equivalent to 3 cups milk?

By sandra schaller

Feedback:

Well, for example, in a mac and cheese recipe, I would use the exact same amount. The same for dessert-type recipes. Half and half will make any recipe much "richer tasting", and therefore, better in my opinion.

Suggestion; serve a bowl of sliced fresh peaches with half and half poured over them. This is an all-time favorite of my family for sure. (06/13/2010)

By darlene

You are going to have to use the same amount. (06/15/2010)

By Grandma J

You can probably cut back on the half and half and make up the difference with some water. That way, the consistency would be more like milk and not effect the consistency of your dessert. (06/15/2010)

By anne

Agree with ahastings7878. I think, specifically, I'd go with 2/3 half and half to 1/3 water, for your recipe, 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 and one cup water. (06/15/2010)

By Candy Killion