Substituting Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk?

Category Substitutions
When you find yourself out of milk for cooking, perhaps you have a can of evaporated milk on the shelf that can be substituted. This is a page about substituting evaporated milk for whole milk.

Can I substitute evaporated milk for whole milk in a pound cake recipe?

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, this is possible. You will need to use 1/2 evaporated milk mixed with 1/2 water if you want to use this for cooking. If your recipe calls for 1/2 cup milk then you will use 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup evaporated milk.

Best Answer

Yes you can use whole milk. Evaporated milk is heavier, and whole mike will make the cake lighter with less calories. Baking should not change the size or rising.

Best Answer

You can substitute evaporated milk for whole milk using equal parts of each - 1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 water = 1 cup 'whole milk'.

That is not saying it will always 'react' the same or even taste the same in your recipe. Some cooks say not to do it.

Check out this link for some opinions:

www.cooksillustrated.com/.../5860-substituting-with-evaporated...

Best Answer

You can essentially make your own by adding sugar and making a reduction by heating slowly

Best Answer

Another option if you have half and half is whole milk and half-and-half. For 1 cup of evaporated milk, use 3/4 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup half-and-half.

Reference: www.myrecipes.com/.../substitute-evaporated-milk

Can I use Carnation (or store brand) evaporated milk the same as whole milk in a recipe? Or is there some "rule of thumb" to go by when cooking with canned evaporated milk? Does it need to be diluted?

By Sandy from Richmond, VA

Answers

Best Answer

You can certainly use it interchangeably in recipes. Simply dilute with plain water, (2 parts milk and 1 part water, according to AllRecipes, though I had thought it was 1:1). I think it has a richer flavor, which lends itself nicely to cooking. I always use it instead of regular milk and cream in my "cream of" soups.

Best Answer

Its a 1:1 ratio on evaporated milk not sure whats up with All Recipes. My Joy of Cooking calls for using a 1:1 ratio when substituing for milk in a recipe and its a standard. Straight evaporated milk may be substituted for light cream in recipes. I too believe it has a richer flavor than regular milk.

Best Answer

It usually says right on the can that mixing the evap with an equal quantity of water produces milk that is "not below the standards" for regular whole milk. The 1:1 ratio is best when replacing milk in a recipe, and undiluted evap works well most of the time as a substitute for cream, except for whipping. Evap can be whipped when chilled awhile, but it's nothing like real whipped cream.

How much evaporated milk equals 1/3 cup of whole milk?

Answers

Best Answer

1/6 cup evaporated milk and 1/6 cup of water will equal 1/3 cup whole milk.

Best Answer

Most people use half evaporated milk and half water to substitute for whole milk in a recipe.

It does not have to be exact so that should be easy to pour into a measuring cup but if you are wanting to be exact then use 1/6 cup of each to make your 1/3 cup.
Tablespoons may be easier:
Use 2 TB + 2 teaspoons of evaporated milk and the same of water.

Can I use evaporated milk in making mashed potatoes as a substitute for whole milk?

By Marge J.

Answers

Best Answer

Yes you can substitute that for whole milk in mashed potatoes. Use it the same amount as you would whole milk. The only difference between evaporated milk and real milk is that it has been heated and made to be thicker. It is just not as tasty to drink straight but it is the same thing.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Absolutely, and you will love the richer flavor it gives your potatoes! I also use it in my potato soup and you can really tell the difference compared to using regular milk - just not the same!

How much evaporated milk equals 2/3 cup of whole milk?

By Donna

Answers

Best Answer

As far as I know when you substitute Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk, you have to dilute with water, to a certain amount. Anyway, that is what I remember my late mother doing, but I don't know how she proportioned it.

She rarely measured things. I would think for 2/3 cup I would use Evaporated Milk in a measuring cup, up to maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and fill it up with water.

I need 1/2 cup of milk, but only have evaporated milk. How can I substitute it? Help me plz.

By Colleen A.

Answers

Best Answer

If you want a creamier taste, you can use an equal amount of evaporated milk but it you want it the same as whole milk dilute 1:1, so 1/4 cup evaporated milk and 1/4 cup water.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJune 14, 2017
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Substituting-Evaporated-Milk-for-Whole-Milk-3.html