Keeping Brown Sugar Soft

Category Helpful Hints
This is a guide about keeping brown sugar soft. Brown sugar frequently turns into a hard lump in the container. Here are some great tips for keeping it soft.

Here is my tip for keeping brown sugar moist. Use marshmallows! You can use bread, but bread gets moldy and then you have to replace it. Not so with marshmallows!

By Elaine S. from near Cedar Rapids, IA

I have seen questions on ThriftyFun asking how to soften hardened brown sugar. I believe the secret to keeping brown sugar fresh and soft is storing it in an air tight container.

Several years ago, a friend gave me two containers that are airtight. I have seen them at the Bed, Bath and Beyond store. What I like mostly about these containers is they are clear and I can see what is inside and if I need to put that item on my grocery list.

I use one for bread and it keeps bread fresh for a week or so. It does not mold or get stale.

I keep the brown sugar in the small one. I don't know how long I have had the brown sugar but I looked for an expiration date and it is worn off. The brown sugar is just as soft as it was when I purchased it and I don't know how long ago that was.

The container is called OXO Good Grips Square Food Storage Pop Container. To open it, you press the round button on top. It pops up for you to remove the lid. To seal, you press the button down and it seals the container air tight. The lid can be taken apart and cleaned when necessary.

I have several air tight containers but these clear containers are my favorite.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Brown sugar will get hard in a heart beat if you don't do something to keep the moisture in the container or bag. Here is a tip I use that really works and is pretty much free.

Take an old broken clay pot that you don't need anymore and break off a piece suitable for the size container that you keep your brown sugar. Make sure it is very clean and then soak it in water for about a half hour. Dry off with a towel and place in the container. This will keep your brown sugar nice and moist. Just repeat the soaking when it dries out, which should not be very often.

By littlegamma from southern, AL

Keep brown sugar fresh. After closing wax paper packaging on inside of box, place a wadded up plastic grocery bag on top and close top of box. This will keep your brown sugar moist, and clump free for many months.

How do you keep brown sugar soft and fresh, not hard?

By van Jones from Pemberton, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

I buy my brown sugar in a bag, once I open it I try to press out as much air as possible, reseal the bag and then place that bag in another zip lock bag and repeat the process. it also helps to add a small slice of apple in the bag with the sugar.

Best Answer

Keliz, I do the same thing. I keep it in an airtight container and throw the heel of the bread on top. When that gets dry, I replace it with a new piece.

It even works if the sugar is already hard. Just take it out of the bag, break it into pieces and put it in a container, throw a slice or two on top, and check back in a couple of days.

Best Answer

I keep my Brown Sugar soft with a small ceramic bear figure that you can get at almost any dollar store or at Meijers or Kroger's in the baking aisle. I also keep it fresh in a small plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid. Works for me!