Keeping Brown Sugar Soft

Here is my tip for keeping brown sugar moist. Use marshmallows! You can use bread, but bread gets moldy and then you have to replace it. Not so with marshmallows!

By Elaine S. from near Cedar Rapids, IA

4 More Solutions

I have seen questions on ThriftyFun asking how to soften hardened brown sugar. I believe the secret to keeping brown sugar fresh and soft is storing it in an air tight container.

Brown sugar stored inside an airtight container.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Brown sugar will get hard in a heart beat if you don't do something to keep the moisture in the container or bag. Here is a tip I use that really works and is pretty much free.

Keep brown sugar fresh. After closing wax paper packaging on inside of box, place a wadded up plastic grocery bag on top and close top of box. This will keep your brown sugar moist, and clump free for many months.

How do you keep brown sugar soft and fresh, not hard?

By van Jones from Pemberton, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

I buy my brown sugar in a bag, once I open it I try to press out as much air as possible, reseal the bag and then place that bag in another zip lock bag and repeat the process. it also helps to add a small slice of apple in the bag with the sugar.

Best Answer

Keliz, I do the same thing. I keep it in an airtight container and throw the heel of the bread on top. When that gets dry, I replace it with a new piece. It even works if the sugar is already hard. Just take it out of the bag, break it into pieces and put it in a container, throw a slice or two on top, and check back in a couple of days.

Best Answer

I keep my Brown Sugar soft with a small ceramic bear figure that you can get at almost any dollar store or at Meijers or Kroger's in the baking aisle. I also keep it fresh in a small plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid. Works for me!

Answer this Question
In These Pages
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 19, 2018
🌻
🐰
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Brown-Sugar-Soft-1.html