Soften a rock-hard box of brown sugar quickly by just putting it in the microwave for 15 second or so, then check it. If it isn't soft enough, increase by 10 second intervals. Don't overdo it or you will have syrup!
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
We've all heard the maxim; to keep brown sugar soft, put (something or other) in the jar. And yes, it works. But what a mess. The sugar inevitably sticks to bread, or apple slices, and pretty much everything else one can think of to use.
Add an apple to your brown sugar in a glass jar. Works every time.
If your brown sugar has hardened, place a small piece of apple in with the sugar to soften it.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
How to soften brown sugar that is hard?
There are many options online. One I found is that you could put it in an oven safe bowl. Heat at 250.
You will receive so many suggestions here and online to use a slice of bread. I would only recommend this if you have nothing else to use. Bread will sometimes mold if the container is not completely sealed and it can be mushy - but, it usually works.
If you need it softened right now, then I believe the only way would be do use Judy's method with the microwave.
For future storage you will need a sealable container - make sure the lid fastens tightly or the sugar will get hard again.
If you want to do it very quickly:
- place your lump of hardened brown sugar in a small microwave-safe bowl,
- cover it with a moist paper towel,
If you have a little more time:
- wrap your hardened brown sugar in aluminum foil,
- place the wrapped brown sugar on a baking sheet,
- place it in a 250°F oven,
- carefully check the brown sugar for softness every 5 minutes (it is hot) until adequately softened.
If you have 1-3 days:
- transfer your lump of hardened brown sugar into an airtight container or in a sealable plastic bag,
- add a slice of bread or a couple of damp tea bags,
- close the container and leave and leave overnight,
- check the brown sugar for softness the next morning. If necessary, seal the container again and check again later.
Brown sugar frequently turns into a hard lump in the container. Here are some great tips for keeping it soft. This is a page about keeping brown sugar soft.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
How do you soften brown sugar?
How do you soften brown sugar that has hardened?
If your box of brown sugar has hardened over time, don't throw it out. Instead place the box in the microwave on high power for about 20 seconds and your brown sugar will be softened.
If you ever have a package of rock hard brown sugar just take it out of the box and/or plastic and wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in a preheated 300 degree oven for 5 minutes.