How To Store Brown Sugar

To keep brown sugar soft, keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator. You can also put a small piece of bread in the container, and this will keep the brown sugar soft. Don't ask me why this works, but it does.

By lara from Portland, OR

Read More or Comment...

How long can I keep brown sugar in the refrigerator?

Answers

Best Answer

I prefer the freezer, but it does get hard and you have to let it thaw and crumble it into the measuring cup for recipes. I would think the fridge would cause the it to get hardened also...so you would need to bring it to room temp to crumble it.

I have kept mine in freezer for up to 2 years and it is still good (I double plastic bag it--the bag it is in and two more zip bags. I would assume the fridge would be the same time frame.

Best Answer

I keep mine in the pantry. I have a terracotta disk that i soak in water. It keeps the sugar soft for a long time. When the disk is dry, I soak it again.

Best Answer

I live in the tropic and I know people say that you should not put the brown sugar in your refrigerator but I do and I have kept it there for over 6 months at a time and it is fine. I just take it out of the bag and put it in an airtight container to store it.

I have never had an issue with this in all the years I have done it. It is hard to find brown sugar here on the islands and when you do find it the bags are so large that it is impossible to use it up. If I store it in the cupboard like others say I end up throwing it away after a few months.

Answer this Question

What do I do with brown sugar when I make it?

By Gregory from Park Place

Answers

Best Answer

I also make my own brown sugar, and then store it in a plastic bag, and use a twist tie to keep the air out. Then I keep it in one of my Tupperware canisters.

Answer this Question

Keep brown sugar soft. Store brown sugar you plan to save for later baking in an airtight container with a fresh slice of bread. The moisture in the bread will keep your sugar soft, moist, and ready-to-use. When the bread dries and hardens, simply replace it with a fresh slice. You can feed the old, dry one to the birds and squirrels.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Answers:

Store Brown Sugar With a Slice of Bread

I especially like the idea of feeding the bread to the birds and squirrels! But, having said that, I still think it's easier and healthier to use a Brown Sugar Saver (made of a disk of clay) which lasts a lot longer and is probably a lot healthier. It can be used over and over every 3 months, approx., and there are nice designs, too!
Cindy
(07/02/2008)

By Cindy H

Store Brown Sugar With a Slice of Bread

I have kept brown sugar in a canning jar with the 2 piece lid for over a year and it is as soft as the day I bought it! (10/31/2009)

By Virginia

Viewing This Page
Food and Recipes StorageAugust 12, 2020
😎
📓
😷
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/How-To-Store-Brown-Sugar-1.html