StorageFood and Recipes

Storing Brown Sugar in the Fridge

How long can I keep brown sugar in the refrigerator?

I prefer the freezer, but it does get hard and you have to let it thaw and crumble it into the measuring cup for recipes. I would think the fridge would cause the it to get hardened also...so you would need to bring it to room temp to crumble it. I have kept mine in freezer for up to 2 years and it is still good (I double plastic bag it--the bag it is in and two more zip bags. I would assume the fridge would be the same time frame.

I keep mine in the pantry. I have a terracotta disk that i soak in water. It keeps the sugar soft for a long time. When the disk is dry, I soak it again.

It is not recommended to keep in the refrigerator, but if so,only for a short time. It's better in a air tight container in freezer,or air tight in sealed bag in your pantry!

Storing in air-tight container in pantry is the best place for brown sugar.

I live in the tropic and I know people say that you should not put the brown sugar in your refrigerator but I do and I have kept it there for over 6 months at a time and it is fine. I just take it out of the bag and put it in an airtight container to store it.

I have never had an issue with this in all the years I have done it. It is hard to find brown sugar here on the islands and when you do find it the bags are so large that it is impossible to use it up. If I store it in the cupboard like others say I end up throwing it away after a few months.

Food and Recipes StorageOctober 3, 2019
🎃