Making Brown Sugar

The great thing about making your own brown sugar is that it's less expensive than buying store bought brown sugar and you have control over how dark the brown sugar will be.

• You can easily make your own light brown sugar by adding 2 tablespoons of light molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

• For darker brown sugar, add 3 tablespoons of light molasses for each cup of sugar.

• If using dark molasses, add 1 tablespoon for light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons for dark brown sugar.
Continue reading for more tips about how to make your own brown sugar.

Read More or Comment...

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

Making your own brown sugar is easy and cheaper than buying it at the supermarket; it tastes great on cooked oatmeal in the morning or used in any recipe calling for brown sugar.

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tablespoon molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. We prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon light molasses, but I have made all the other variations. I make a double batch every time.

By Betty

I have made my own brown sugar for years. You use white sugar and add molasses and mix well. I was always running to the store for brown sugar until I discovered this hint. You can make a little or a lot. You can make light or dark depending on the amount of molasses you add.

By Dameemag from Rothbury, Michigan

Make your own light brown sugar at about half the cost per pound of store-bought. Add 2 Tbsp. of dark molasses to 1 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. (I use blackstrap molasses, and 1 Tbsp. per cup makes a nice dark brown sugar.)

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Top Comment

Those snazzy glass jars that nuts come in at Christmas time with the airtight glass tops are perfect for storing sugar, flour, etc. If they're from the same brand (or nut catalogue), they have the same matching pattern.

That's what I store brown sugar in--never the box. When someone wants to know what I want as a gift, thats what I tell them--X brand nuts. It only took one year to get enough jars.

Top Comment

I took one cup of regular sugar and two cups of Splenda, then blended it with 2 tbs of black strap molasses. It came out great and should be a lot lower in calories. Next time I will go down to 1 of molasses as I think it still will work.

Top Comment

I've also made my own brown sugar for many years now, and not only brown sugar but you can make your own powdered sugar by adding 2 cups of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 2 minutes and there you have powdered sugar.

Marge from NY

Top Comment

I have been making my own "brown sugar" for awhile, with 1 cup sugar to 2 Tbls. molasses. I use an airtight canister to store up to 5 cups at a time. It stores good for me, but where I live is pretty dry, especially in the summer. I go through it fast, so it is much more convenient to just make some up when it gets low!

BTW, for S&A's post: it helps to mix it before hand, because of the consistency, and if water comes into contact, it will "clog" up and make it hard to mix. But it shouldn't hurt to try if it doesn't affect the outcome, like cookies.

Top Comment

Wish I had made a note of this when I read it a few weeks ago. I discovered I was out of brown sugar right in the middle of baking - of course. I followed the recipe on the jar of molasses which was one cup of sugar to one HALF cup of Molasses - way too much. I now have a batch of very gooey cookies. I will know better next time

Top Comment

Betty, I can't thank you enough for this handy tip! I live in Moscow, Russia and brown sugar is so new here, that it's very difficult to find. We usually bring some over with us from our State-side trips, but run out quickly! I am a teacher at an international school here and I love to make the kids cookies. My students thank you!

This is real brown sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

Directions:

Pour molasses on to white sugar use your mixer, or a fork to stir till completely blended.

Look on brown sugar ingredients label if you doubt this. Use my recipe and save money

I make 4 lbs. at a time. Its easier and it stays fresh for months in a sealed jar next to your sugar and flour canister.

By GrannyJenny

My recipe calls for light brown sugar. I have white sugar and molasses. Can I substitute these for the brown sugar? If so how much of each for 1 cup?

Answers

Best Answer

This is from the Huffington Post:

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together  this job is faster if you use an electric mixer  until completely incorporated. Use it or store it  it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar.

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

Answers

Best Answer

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

I think everyone knows that you can make your own brown sugar cheaper than what you can buy in the store. So I'm not really telling you anything new. I've read this same tip on Thrifty Fun numerous times, but I don't think that anyone has ever submitted a photo.

I mixed up a batch of brown sugar and used 1 cup of white sugar + 1 tablespoon of molasses. Then pour the brown sugar in a plastic bag and close with a twist tie, and store it in a Tupperware container.

Source: I've made my own brown sugar for years.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Thanks so much for the picture, it really makes it looks do-able. I have been curious about making this and powdered sugar for quite a while but have never tackled it.

I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?

Merry Christmas! (12/17/2010)

By jess

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Molasses is kind of expensive. Are you sure you are saving? (12/17/2010)

By Lilac

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Someone had posted that molasses is quite expensive. It really depends on where you buy a bottle of molasses. I buy a gallon of molasses at a restaurant supply store and is much cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the grocery store. I use very little molasses when I mix up a batch of brown sugar and it goes a long way.

If I had to drive to the grocery store every time I needed brown sugar, I would be burning more fuel in my car than I would be spending on a gallon jug of molasses. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

"I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?"

A cup of packed brown sugar wouldn't be the same equivalent of a regular cup of white sugar. I just find it easier to spend the time and mix up some brown sugar for future baking. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

To make your own brown sugar, mix one tablespoon of molasses with a cup of white sugar. Add more for darker and less for lighter. I worked as a professional food taster for several years and discovered that brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses. This works like a charm.

By Sandra from Saint Paul, MN

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Great idea, you can make just what you need, and not have to worry about it becoming a "brick". (07/17/2010)

By merlene

Have you ever run out of brown sugar and don't want to make a trip to the grocery store? Use this recipe if you have some molasses in fridge.

For 1 cup white sugar, add 1 Tbsp. molasses for light brown sugar. Add 2 Tbsp. for dark brown sugar

Double recipe if you need to.

Source: Tip.nut.com

By Elaine from Iowa

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I can't remember the last time that I bought any brown sugar or confectioners sugar. It's so much cheaper to make your own.

(08/19/2009)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I was glad to see your post. I just today had to throw out many food items due to insect infestation, and couldn't believe that I had boxes of confectioners and brown sugars that only had only been used for one thing. (08/20/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Did you know that Brown Sugar is really only White Sugar with Molasses mixed in with it? I was so surprised when I found that out. I feel so clever when I mix my own batch of brown sugar for baking etc. It is so simple, saves storage space, and is much cheaper.

For 1 cup of brown sugar I add approximately 1 Tbsp of molasses. I add more or less molasses depending if I want the light brown sugar or the dark. No more worries now when I don't have enough brown sugar for that recipe. I never seem to run out of white sugar, but always of brown sugar.

Happy Baking!

By Sue from Calgary, Alberta

Answers:

Brown Sugar Substitute

Whoever gave you the tip is WRONG! Brown sugar is just less refined than white sugar! (03/21/2008)

By R. Smith

Brown Sugar Substitute

I've made my own brown sugar for years and don't bother buying it in the grocery store. I also make my own confectioners' sugar with a high speed blender and mix a small amount of cornstarch along with it. (03/21/2008)

By MCW

Brown Sugar Substitute

The brown sugar that R. Smith is speaking of is "sugar in the raw" and that IS less refined that white sugar. I too have been making my own brown sugar for years. (03/21/2008)

By tnrfitz

Brown Sugar Substitute

Thank you sue, I did not know that, Does anyone know if muscovado sugar is just white with something added?

Here is an article about Muscovado. It looks like it is a natural process.

(03/21/2008)

By Tracy from Coventry

Brown Sugar Substitute

White sugar is just brown sugar with the molasses removed from it at the refinery. (03/21/2008)

By sheilamay

Brown Sugar Substitute

How do you make the brown sugar? Do you heat up the molasses and stir it into the white sugar? It seems the molasses would be too thick to coat the white sugar properly. I appreciate any help to this question.

Donna from Victoria B.C. (03/24/2008)

By preppy56

Brown Sugar Substitute

Brown sugar is not as refined as white sugar, the molasses is debunked now! (04/26/2008)

By chiquan.

Brown Sugar Substitute

I don't know about the refining part as discussed in previous postings, but I do know this: white sugar with molasses added looks, cooks, and tastes like the common brown sugar sold in stores. Making it yourself is cheaper and yields the same results. (11/22/2008)

By Francene V.

Save money on brown sugar by making your own. Keep a bottle of molasses on hand and add a little to your white sugar.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.