How to Make Brown Sugar

This page tells how to make your own brown sugar at home. You can easily make your own brown sugar by adding 2 tablespoons of molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

If you're out of brown sugar, or just want the fluffiest fresh brown sugar ever, you can make some in a pinch. Just add one tablespoon of molasses to one cup of white granulated sugar and whisk until fully combined. Want dark brown sugar? Add a tablespoon or more of molasses.

This is real brown sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

Directions:

Pour molasses on to white sugar use your mixer, or a fork to stir till completely blended.

Look on brown sugar ingredients label if you doubt this. Use my recipe and save money

I make 4 lbs. at a time. Its easier and it stays fresh for months in a sealed jar next to your sugar and flour canister.

By GrannyJenny

The great thing about making your own brown sugar is that it's less expensive than buying store bought brown sugar and you have control over how dark the brown sugar will be.

• You can easily make your own light brown sugar by adding 2 tablespoons of light molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar.
  • For darker brown sugar, add 3 tablespoons of light molasses for each cup of sugar.
  • If using dark molasses, add 1 tablespoon for light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons for dark brown sugar.
Continue reading for more tips about how to make your own brown sugar.

My recipe calls for light brown sugar. I have white sugar and molasses. Can I substitute these for the brown sugar? If so how much of each for 1 cup?

Answers

Best Answer

This is from the Huffington Post:

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together this job is faster if you use an electric mixer until completely incorporated. Use it or store it it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar.

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

Answers

Best Answer

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

I think everyone knows that you can make your own brown sugar cheaper than what you can buy in the store. So I'm not really telling you anything new. I've read this same tip on Thrifty Fun numerous times, but I don't think that anyone has ever submitted a photo.

I mixed up a batch of brown sugar and used 1 cup of white sugar + 1 tablespoon of molasses. Then pour the brown sugar in a plastic bag and close with a twist tie, and store it in a Tupperware container.

Source: I've made my own brown sugar for years.

By Marjorie from Lewiston, NY

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Thanks so much for the picture, it really makes it looks do-able. I have been curious about making this and powdered sugar for quite a while but have never tackled it.

I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?

Merry Christmas! (12/17/2010)

By Jess (TF Editor)

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Molasses is kind of expensive. Are you sure you are saving? (12/17/2010)

By Lilac

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Someone had posted that molasses is quite expensive. It really depends on where you buy a bottle of molasses. I buy a gallon of molasses at a restaurant supply store and is much cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the grocery store. I use very little molasses when I mix up a batch of brown sugar and it goes a long way.

If I had to drive to the grocery store every time I needed brown sugar, I would be burning more fuel in my car than I would be spending on a gallon jug of molasses. (12/17/2010)

By Marjorie

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

"I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?"

A cup of packed brown sugar wouldn't be the same equivalent of a regular cup of white sugar. I just find it easier to spend the time and mix up some brown sugar for future baking. (12/17/2010)

By Marjorie

To make your own brown sugar, mix one tablespoon of molasses with a cup of white sugar. Add more for darker and less for lighter. I worked as a professional food taster for several years and discovered that brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses. This works like a charm.

By Sandra from Saint Paul, MN

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Great idea, you can make just what you need, and not have to worry about it becoming a "brick". (07/17/2010)

By merlene smith

Have you ever run out of brown sugar and don't want to make a trip to the grocery store? Use this recipe if you have some molasses in fridge.

For 1 cup white sugar, add 1 Tbsp. molasses for light brown sugar. Add 2 Tbsp. for dark brown sugar

Double recipe if you need to.

Source: Tip.nut.com

By Elaine from Iowa

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I can't remember the last time that I bought any brown sugar or confectioners sugar. It's so much cheaper to make your own.

(08/19/2009)

By Marjorie

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I was glad to see your post. I just today had to throw out many food items due to insect infestation, and couldn't believe that I had boxes of confectioners and brown sugars that only had only been used for one thing. (08/20/2009)

By Frances Adams

Did you know that Brown Sugar is really only White Sugar with Molasses mixed in with it? I was so surprised when I found that out.

Save money on brown sugar by making your own. Keep a bottle of molasses on hand and add a little to your white sugar.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoNovember 2, 2013
🍂
🎄