How to Make Brown Sugar

This page tells how to make your own brown sugar at home. You can easily make your own brown sugar by adding 2 tablespoons of molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

Making your own brown sugar is easy and cheaper than buying it at the supermarket; it tastes great on cooked oatmeal in the morning or used in any recipe calling for brown sugar.

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tablespoon molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. We prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon light molasses, but I have made all the other variations. I make a double batch every time.

By Betty

I have made my own brown sugar for years. You use white sugar and add molasses and mix well. I was always running to the store for brown sugar until I discovered this hint. You can make a little or a lot. You can make light or dark depending on the amount of molasses you add.

By Dameemag from Rothbury, Michigan

Make your own light brown sugar at about half the cost per pound of store-bought. Add 2 Tbsp. of dark molasses to 1 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. (I use blackstrap molasses, and 1 Tbsp. per cup makes a nice dark brown sugar.)

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

If you're out of brown sugar, or just want the fluffiest fresh brown sugar ever, you can make some in a pinch. Just add one tablespoon of molasses to one cup of white granulated sugar and whisk until fully combined. Want dark brown sugar? Add a tablespoon or more of molasses.

A plate of homemade brown sugar.

This is real Brown Sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

The great thing about making your own brown sugar is that it's less expensive than buying store bought brown sugar and you have control over how dark the brown sugar will be.

My recipe calls for light brown sugar. I have white sugar and molasses. Can I substitute these for the brown sugar? If so how much of each for 1 cup?

Answers

Best Answer

This is from the Huffington Post:

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together this job is faster if you use an electric mixer until completely incorporated. Use it or store it it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar.

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

Answers

Best Answer

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

I think everyone knows that you can make your own brown sugar cheaper than what you can buy in the store.

To make your own brown sugar, mix one tablespoon of molasses with a cup of white sugar. Add more for darker and less for lighter.

Have you ever run out of brown sugar and don't want to make a trip to the grocery store? Use this recipe if you have some molasses in fridge.

Did you know that Brown Sugar is really only White Sugar with Molasses mixed in with it? I was so surprised when I found that out.

Save money on brown sugar by making your own. Keep a bottle of molasses on hand and add a little to your white sugar.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoNovember 2, 2013
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Brown-Sugar.html