No Mix Homemade Brown Sugar

Being frugal isn't complicated. It tends to be just the opposite. Over the years, I've shown appreciation for tips submitted by littergitter, Sandi/Poor But Proud and others, that make things unbelievable simple. Here's one from me.

I'm stewing apples for freezing. Not using a recipe, I add butter, brown sugar and a touch of cinnamon and allspice to taste to the pot while stewing the cubed apples. I freeze these in individual servings to be thawed and heated later in the microwave. And if I wanted to make a pie or fried pies, I can thaw 2-3 or more servings.

When I made the last batch, I was out of brown sugar. Consulting the Internet, I found how easy it is to make your own brown sugar. 1 tablespoon molasses added to a cup of regular sugar for light brown sugar or 2 for dark brown sugar is all you need to know.

Per Internet instructions, I got out the mixer and a deep mixing bowl. I put the sugar and molasses in and blended at slow speed. In about 30 seconds I had a beautiful cup of brown sugar. So simple.

Today, I was out of brown sugar again. No problem. I got out the mixer and my bowl, added sugar and molasses to the bowl and proceeded to make brown sugar.

This time, things went a bit differently. I don't know why. My sugar and molasses would not blend. I had big globs of molasses flying around. I put the bowl in the sink to continue blending, hoping not to get molasses everywhere. It did not work. I had to finish blending the sugar with a fork. I don't know of anything I did differently. The sugar and molasses were the same temperature as the last time.

Then it dawned on me. If a recipe calls for a cup of light brown sugar and you're out, it's sort of foolish to drag out the mixer and a bowl, which will have to be cleaned later.

All you need do is add a tablespoon of molasses along with regular sugar to the recipe. Now how's that for simplicity? No mixer, no bowl.

That's simple enough. I'll have to try it. I can see how your last step, which is so simple, \ would work as it all is blended together anyway.

It's easy to just pour the molasses on top of the sugar in a bowl, and mix it in with your fingertips. ;)

I make it even easier. If your recipe calls for mixing dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately first, just add the white sugar to the dry and the molasses to the wet ingredients.

And no mixer to wash!
Great!
Marg from England.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 25, 2021
🍀
💘
Generated 2021-02-05 09:36:14 in 822 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/No-Mix-Homemade-Brown-Sugar.html