Laundry Detergent Recipe

How do you make your own laundry detergent?

Patti from Levittown

Answers:

Laundry Detergent Recipe

Is the Borax safe for colors? (10/12/2007)

By Alabama

Laundry Detergent Recipe

I make a powdered laundry soap. It is very concentrated, and easy to store. Shred 1 Fels Naptha bar in food processor. It should resemble powder when done. Add 3/4 c. borax and 3/4 c. WASHING soda (not baking soda). Mix well and store in an airtight container. Use 2 Tbs. for a large load. It is safe for the newer HE washers as it is a low suds soap. Add 1/2 c. white vinegar to the final rinse for softness. My clothes are clean and bright. (07/13/2008)

By Kelly

Laundry Detergent Recipe

I read somewhere that you could wash your wool with Blue Dawn dish washing detergent, so I tried it in a load of clothes and it works great on everything. I just pour it around the machine one time as I turn the water on. Saves a bundle. (11/11/2008)

By By Teresa

Laundry Detergent Recipe

I had the same experience so when I made the next batch, I added more of the powders and added them to the boiling soap water right as I turned off the heat, then I poured the hot soap into a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full of hot water. I stirred the mixture for several minutes then left it uncovered and returned and re stirred about every 30 minutes or so, until cooled. I have the creamiest detergent now; no separating and no clumping. I reheated the clumpy mixture and re stirred it as well and it too has remained nice and creamy. Hope this helps you! (12/28/2008)

By Linda