Light Supper Menus Ideas for a Home for the Elderly

Please can someone send me ideas and/or recipes for menus for light suppers for the elderly in an old age home. They already have homemade soup every night with toast, but we need another dish. They eat early at 4.30pm because of staff having to go home. They get hungry during the early evening.

By Maureen R

They could have a salad with the soup and toast. However to make the meal more filling they should have some kind of protein with the meal. Some type of egg, meat, or something along that line. Some times instead of just plain toast give them a grilled cheese sandwich. Myself, I think they need more variety in their meals. I get my lunch delivered by Meals on Wheels, and these meals are supposed to be geared to senior citizens and geared towards special dietary needs. Today for lunch I had goulash, whole kernel corn, garlic bread, lettuce salad and pineapple. The goulash consisted of hamburger, pasta, and tomato sauce. I ate about 11:30AM and that meal will last me until I fix something for my evening meal which will be about 5-5:30PM, then being I'm diabetic I have to have a snack sometime in the evening. I would think the home would have some meal guidelines to follow.

Perhaps an evening snack of cheese and crackers; ring bologna and crackers; hard boiled eggs; or the cook staff could make some sandwiches to be served later, such as peanut butter, cheese, egg salad, tuna salad, lunchmeat. An evening snack of custard, yogurt, cottage cheese and fruit would be healthy alternatives.

Ask the residents what they would like. They may have some really great ideas!

My mom loved fish cakes (baked fish squares) with slaw and baked potato and or hush puppies. She also loved, chicken and dumplings (super easy crock pot dish), beans or peas with potatoes, pizza, hot dogs and a Braves baseball game, homemade biscuit with a slice of tomato and any other veggie of choice, baked fried chicken with mashed potatoes. Hope this helps. God Bless.

I would suggest what one of the nicest retirement centers in our area does and that is to have some sort of sandwiches or hamburgers, maybe even sloppy joes for the evening meal. You could even have a salad bar type meal. It does seem that these people do prefer to eat their larger meal at noon, so a smaller meal in the evening usually does work better for them. I would be sure to offer some simple side dishes as well such a cottage cheese or fruit or fresh vegetable slices with some dip. I would just try to keep it as simple as possible for both you and them.

If this is a home, and you are in the US I think the diet has to be approved by a dietition. The dietition would work out a diet that provides the proper nutrition taking into consideration the needs of the person on an individual basis like diebetes, gout, food allergies etc.

What about plain cake, sugar free for diabetics if necessary, with hot chocolate or hot tea? Nothing too heavy and it should fill the gap nicely.

I was thinking about something we had when I was a kid during summer. We would have a variety of lunch meats, cheeses, lettuce, etc. to make our own sandwiches. Then we'd have tuna salad and deviled eggs. We kids loved to have this meal instead of hot, heavy dinners.

I take care of my mom in my home and she loves biscuits and gravy with scramble eggs. I buy a #10 can of Chef's Blend brand of sausage gravey. (about $6.00 at Sam's Club) I open the can and divide it into smaller containers and freeze them. If I don't have biscuits, I use bread. My mom has to eat soft foods so I cut up the bread, mix in the eggs and warmed gravy and give her a spoon. She absolutely loves it. This gravy goes well over mashed potatoes too. She also loves instant oatmeal (maple and brown sugar flavor). The cheese and cracker ideas are excellent too. I'm certain that your folks are so hungry because of the soup not because of the early time. Hope this helps.

I am concerned by the lack of nutritional oversight at this "old age home." I agree with some of the earlier posters, soup and toast doesn't seem like enough food for dinner. If your home is in the US, I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down. In any event, I'm glad you're making an effort. In addition to the other excellent suggestions, you might try:

*quiche (pretty cheap and healthy, and easy to eat if you can't eat hard foods.)

*english muffin pizzas (can be made in microwave)

*meat pies

* canned fruit and/or cottage cheese

* carrot and celery sticks

* muffins/cornbread

* yogurt

* olives and pickles

* applesauce

* fresh fruit

* pie

Food and Recipes Food Tips Advice Meal PlanningJune 6, 2011
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Chinese take out boxes.
Saving Take Out Menus
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows