Living Off The Grid

Living Off The Grid
Your own water supply and energy sources are essential when living without public utilities. This guide is about living off the grid.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I can go to find out about purchasing land at a reasonable (if there's a such thing) price? I'm looking into living "off the grid", with my own ground water supply, solar energy for electricity, and growing my own garden for food. I just need to know how I would go about looking for land that has a water reservoir so I don't have to use city water.

By Loleini

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Water reservoir -bif you mean a pond, then you will need some way to purity the water. Having a well drilled is expensive, so is installing a wind generator and a sewer system. And many places have laws on all of this.

Consider also the equipment you will need to survive. In central Indiana that means a chain saw, a small tractor, a snow plow, gardening equipment, small work shop to repair what you can't buy, a source of electricity for a freezer or two.

I am not trying to discourage you, but be sure you have thought this through. We live pretty much off the grid - own water and gas well, but haven't got the generator yet due to price of unit and installation, but the water requires a softner here and a well house and a sump pump and electricity. Don't use the Amish as a model. They use enormous generators. Even non-farmable land is expensive.

Best Answer

My son is doing this; building a house with a composting toilet, digging his own well, heating the house with solar and wood heat. He is in Saskatchewan, and is living on land that he owns with his grandmother. They are renting out the land and growing their own garden.

It is quite a process, and it is taking him 3 years to get the house built as he is doing this all himself with his partner. Land is probably expensive everywhere. You need to do a lot of research on this to see if you are prepared to do the work that is involved in living off the grid.

Best Answer

You've been given good advice here but don't be discouraged. Contact state agriculture commissions and ask them if and where your desired life is possible. That's what they're there for.

A good way to start looking and feel out different areas may be to work as farm hands. In Georgia the ag dept puts out a weekly ag paper where people list jobs available/wanted. This would allow you to learn to work the land in an area while you are looking for your own place.

There is an organization - WWOOF - that offers working stays on farms. I'm sure there are others, but that's the biggest.

I admire your desire to live a more self sufficient life and wish you the best of luck.

Best Answer

Where ever you want to end up, probably the first place to check is going to be with the area planning or zoning commission-is it legal to dig your own well, can you legally install solar panels, have chickens, grow a veg garden, build your own house or install a mobile home in the place you want to live; those would be the first questions.

Good luck! I did this several times when I lived in America (AL, FL, GA) and was always very happy. I live in Scotland now, where my new husband and I are 'mini-crofters', a variation on traditional Scottish Highland crofting:

http://en.wikip  rg/wiki/Crofting

We own our home without a mortgage, and live in a semi-rural neighbourhood, but we follow a lot of the crofting plan. It's a wonderfully satisfying way to live, we are VERY happy:)