Low-Fat Baking Tips

Category Low Fat
Low-Fat Baking
You can reduce the fat in your baked goods without a loss of flavor. This is a guide about low-fat baking tips.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I found some information at an extension site about using prune puree in place of butter in baking. You use it along with margarine to replace butter in some baked goods.

Prune Puree

Directions:

Combine pitted prunes and water in food processor. Pulse on and off until prunes are finely chopped. Makes 1 cup. Another option is to make prune butter by blending 1 pound of prunes with 1 cup of hot water.

Using the Puree:

Use prune puree in baked products to replace up to 1/2 the fat without flavor or texture being compromised according to researchers at Pennsylvania State University. Other fat substitutes that you may want to try are apple butter, applesauce, bananas and yogurt.

Carrot-Raisin Bars

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray an 8-inch by 8-inch pan with cooking spray.
  3. Beat sugar, margarine and prune puree with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Mix in water.
  4. Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to egg mixture. Mix until blended.
  5. Mix in oats, raisins and carrot.
  6. Spread dough in pan.
  7. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

Makes 24 bars. Approx. 60 calories per bar.

Does anyone have any baking recipes using healthy oil instead of hard margarine, lard, butter, etc.? I am on a low fat medical diet but still like cakes, pastry, and other baked goods. Please help.

Mary from UK

you can generally replace the fat in many recipes with applesauce and still have good results! It definitely works for oil (like cake in a box mixes) but you can try it out to replace butter or margarine too.

You can replace butter/margerine in bread, pie crust, cookie and cake recipes with canola or olive oil. This works best when the amount in the recipe is 1/3 cup or less. The cookies will spread out more, so leave room when you bake.

I SUBSTITUTE OLIVE OIL FOR ALL RECIPES THAT CALL FOR OIL. YOU WON'T TASTE THE DIFFERENCE. AND TRY CUTTING DOWN ON THE SUGAR TOO.

hi mary,

just to let you know -

i use olive oil for all my baked goods -

no matter what the recipe calls for.

good luck on your diet -

jan from NJ

There is a lady named Betty Rohde who has published a series of cookbooks featuring low-fat recipes of various kinds under the name So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat.... I really like the So Fat, Low, Fat, No Fat Desserts book. I found this copy ( used) listed on the net for less than $3.50 American dollars, shipping and handling included and am including the URL so that you can look at it. With a little searching you can probably find an unused copy, somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay  88QQcmdZViewItem

One of my favorite recipesis is not only zero fat, but also super quick. My son and all his friends love it as well. You simply mix together a 16 ounce angel food cake mix with a 16 ounce can of lemon pie filling. When it is well blended, transfer the mix to a 13x9x2 inch baking pan that has been sprayed lightly with a vegetable oil cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375º oven for 26 minutes. Cool for about an hour and drizzle with a glaze made up of 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) mixed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. This serves 15.

I just sent you information about the Betty Rohde book and included a recipe. I forgot that you might need the metric equivalents.

16 ounces = 454 grams

1/2 cup = 120 ml

1 Tablespoon = 15 ml

I had no difficulty looking these equivalents up since the first page of the book includes equivalency tables. And, oh yes, 375º F is equivalent to 190º C.

We substitute extra virgin olive oil for the fat in cakes and soft cookies. There is no damage to the flavor. Fruit pulp such as unsweetened applesauce also accomplishes the purpose. Oil makes wretched biscuits. Are you familiar with the Weston Price Institute? Author Sally Fallon writes for them, and she says lard is a safe fat because it is not hydrogenated. Of course, keep fats to a minimum. Hope this helps!

I use single serve applesauce in place of oil in most recipes and for mixes. It works great and comes in flavors so you can experiment. I LOVE dark chocolate brownies made with strawberry or blueberry applesauce.YUM!