Make Your Own Sports Drink

Category Beverages
Generic Blue Sports Drink
Sports drinks can be very helpful with replenishing your fluids after exercise. They can get expensive to purchase if you are working out often though. This is a guide about making your own sports drink.

This is an easy to make alternative to some of the name brand sports drinks. If you are exercising for more than 30 minutes you may benefit from a fluid-replacement sports drink.

Mix the ingredients with enough water to equal 1 gallon. Store in the fridge. If this solution is too sweet, add extra water to the solution. The salt in this drink will give the electrolytes you need for a long work out.

An even easier recipe: 1 cup of orange juice, 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt.

General Tips: Drink 1 to 2 cups of fluid 30 minutes before you exercise and 1/2 to 1 cup of fluid every 15 minutes of exercise.

Money Saving Tip: For mild workouts or short workouts water will provide sufficient hydration and save you money. Having said that, a better tasting beverage may encourage you to drink more liquids which is important when working out for any duration.

I am looking for a high energy drink that I can make in my blender every morning with things in my home. I know all about exercise and eating the right foods, but I need some energy to get me started. The less energy I have the more I sit around and eat and gain weight. I am in a catch 22 situation and really do not want to buy any pills, drinks, etc. They do not work for me.

Carlene from Murray, KY

I am looking for a MYO recipe for something like Gatorade. It is so expensive and I would like to make my own.

Sue

Best Answer

Actually, if you buy it in powdered form, it's half price. Even better, I once figured out that I could buy it in powdered form at our local BJ's (like Sam's Club) and get it for 1/4 the price, but they don't have every flavor. Or you could just drink free water. At the time, I was drinking Gatorade because I needed all the calories I could get after abdominal surgery.

Best Answer

This recipe was posted a while back...

Make Your Own Sports Drink

http://www.thri  f641006.tip.html

I believe on the Dr. Oz show today he said to make this drink use: Agave Nectar - 1 tbsp., sea salt - 1/2 tsp., a bit of baking soda - 1/4 tsp., and good water - 4 cups. Is this correct? What portions?

By Charlotte from Calgary, AB CANADA

Best Answer

Dr Oz just put it up on his site:

Maximize your workout and prevent dehydration with this electrolyte recipe:

1 liter of water

1/2 tsp of baking soda

2 tablespoons of agave nectar

1/2 tablespoon of sea salt

http://doctoroz  yte-water-recipe

I am looking for a recipe for making a sugar-free electrolyte sports drink.

Best Answer

You can use the sugar free Kool-Aid or Crystal Light and just add 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of salt substitute (salt has sodium and salt substitute has potassium).

We are doing a school project and we have to make our own sports drink. Can anyone help us out? Does anyone have any recipes?

Josh & Danny

A friend took her 13 year old daughter to the Dr. for some strange symptoms she was having. The first thing he told her to do was to stop drinking sports drinks such as Gatorade, etc. It is very hard on the liver, causes abnormal blood tests & takes a long time to get out of the system. He said the only people who need them are people who train 8 hrs per day. The average athlete just needs water & fruit juice. You might check with your Dr. about it. It looks like you're doing the right thing by looking for a recipe with natural ingredients.