Making Bath Bombs

Fizzy, relaxing bath bombs make a great gift or self indulgence. This is a guide about making bath bombs.

March 17, 2015 Flag

These bath bombs combine the refreshing scent of lemon with the relaxing scent of peppermint to create a bath bomb that will knock the socks off the ones you buy at the mall. With an infusion of oil and sea salt in them, your skin will feel like it has spent the day at the spa. And the best part? These will cost you a fraction of the price of store (or mall) bought ones.

Total Time: 15 minutes to make, up to 24 hours to dry.

Yield: 12 bath bombs

Link: BestBeautyformyBuck.Blogspot.com

• 2 cups baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cup citric acid
  • 8 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1/4 cup sea salt
  • 8 Tbsp oil of your choice
  • 20 drops each of lemon and peppermint essential oils.
  • witch hazel (in case your mixture is too dry)

You will also need a bowl to mix in, a measuring cup, a tablespoon and a mold of some sort. I'm using my handy silicone cupcake pan. Perfect for desserts and bath goodies.

1. First you will need to measure out the two cups of baking soda into your mixing bowl. Now add the cup and a half of citric acid on top of that.
  2. Next goes in your eight tablespoons of corn starch, then the quarter cup of sea salt.
  3. Give it a good stir just to make sure everything is clump free and mixed up before we start adding in the wet ingredients.
  4. In goes the eight tablespoons of the oil you picked out. In my case, it is light olive oil.
  5. Right on top of the oil, you will add the twenty drops each of your lemon and peppermint essential oils. If you want a stronger scent you can obviously add more of one or both of them.
  6. Now mix everything up until it is a nice and even mixture. I find it is easier to use my hands once the oil has been mixed it. You want to watch out for dry chunks or oil pockets.
  7. Your finished mixture should retain it's shape if you squeeze some in your hand. If it is too dry and crumbly, put some witch hazel in a spray bottle and give it a few sprays, re-mix, then test again. Keep doing this until it retains it's shape. If you mixture seems too damp, that's OK. It just means it will take longer to dry.
  8. Now you want to scoop the mixture into your molds. I just put one handful into each cupcake spot to start out with.
  9. Let dry until hard (mine took a full 24 hours), then just pop them out and store them in an airtight container until your next bath. These also make wonderful gifts, and can be made in large batches.
  10. Using something hard (I used the metal tablespoon), start pressing the mixture into the cups. You want to press any air and space out of it, so expect them to compact down halfway into the cup. Just add in any leftover mixture and keep pressing until you have used all the mixture. This made a dozen pucks in my cupcake pan, each at least three quarters of the way filled.
  11. Let dry until hard (mine took a full 24 hours), then just pop them out and store them in an airtight container until your next bath. These also make wonderful gifts, and can be made in large batches.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

June 20, 2008 Flag

Bath bombs can be tricky little things to make, or more particularly, to get right! Here are a few common problems, issues, and tips if you're having problems attempting these creations.

Remember that bath bombs are basically baking soda, citric acid, and some sort of moisturizing oil. Scents and colors can be added as needed. Pretty shapes can be used, as shown by my heart and bean bath bomb mini-gift basket picture.

The exact recipe for the perfect bath bombs doesn't exist, since it all depends of what exact ingredients are being used, as well as the general humidity level of where you live! Getting a bath bomb right means finding that perfect balance between dry and wet enough to form and hold.

If you get the bomb too dry, it will crumble and fall apart, no matter how long you let it dry. If you get the bomb too oily, it will become a goop and never dry out, unless you bake it hard in the oven. If the bomb is too wet with anything containing water, it will fizz, growing like a monster out of its mold.

The best advice is to just try some of the many bath bomb recipes out there, and adjust the ones you like the most for great results. Remember that bath bombs can also contain cornstarch, oatmeal, scents, moisturizers, colors, dried flowers/herbs, and other fun extras.

Fizzing Bath Bombs?

If you're bath bombs are fizzing out of their mold, it means they're too wet. The food coloring or fragrance you used may have been water based, causing the citric acid to fizz out.

If the problem is minor, you can wait a few minutes for everything to fizz, then mix bomb batter again, and press into molds. If the problem is major, you may need to mix in more baking soda, or ditch the batch all together.

Where Do I Get Citric Acid?

Citric acid is often used for canning, or in pharmacies. Some people claim to find it at stores like Wal-Mart, but it is pretty rare. What most people find are fruit preserving powders that contain citric acid. Most pharmacies only have citric acid tablets, which are expensive and too compressed.

Look for loose citric acid at stores with canning supplies, emergency survival supplies, pharmaceutical supplies, health food groceries, or bath making supplies. The finer ground the citric acid, the better it will work.

How Do I Get The Best Results?

To get the best bath salts you need to know the exact recipe that works. After that, it has a lot to do with the steps. Always mix the dry ingredients, like baking soda and citric acid, together completely before adding anything moist.

Try to mix the moist ingredients together before adding them to the dry stuff. This means mixing the oil, coloring, and fragrance together in a little bowl. They will not blend, but rather break into tiny dots. This helps spread the water levels, making sure no one "pocket" of water hits the citric acid, causing undue fizzing.

When you mix wet and dry ingredients, make sure to mix very, very, very well. You want everything nice and even, without any oil pools or dry clumps. When you press the batter into a mold, make sure to press it in evenly and firmly. This will make the bombs strong and solid, where just lightly pressing it in can leave bubbles of air.

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Editor's Note: Here is a recipe on ThrifyFun:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

Craftbits0 found this helpful
September 14, 2005 Flag

Combine the dry ingredients in bowl and stir until well mixed. Next... Drizzle in the almond oil and stir until mixture is moistened. Add more oil and fragrance and stir until well mixed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 16, 2016 Flag

I am making bath bombs. What do I use to colour them? I want to use a natural product.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are a lot of natural ways to do this. Try beet root powder or carrots ground raw. Cinnamon also works well but might cause skin irritation to some.

May 7, 2016 Flag

I made the smaller spheres and they seemed to be perfect. I used the basic recipe: cornstarch, baking soda, citric acid, and Epsom salts, added essential oil for fragrance, food coloring for color, light almond oil, and witch hazel spray. I removed them from their mold after about 20 minutes and set them out to dry. The next morning they still looked perfect so I gently placed them in a ziplock bag for storage. Later that day they were cracked in the bag. I'm not sure why because once they were put inside the ziplock, they were not touched.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2007 Flag

I am having troubles getting my bath bombs to harden. I have tried 3 different recipes and STILL my bath bombs crumble when I pick them up. I am using "fruit fresh" as the citric acid. I read you can use this. They do not harden at all. They are still moist after 3 days of drying. What am I doing wrong?

Dana from Newkensington, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

try this link

http://www.notm  tomake/bathbombs

I make them using honey and oils. I use witch hazel in tiny bursts in a spritzer after everything is mixed thoroughly and I continue to mix with my hands, a bit like rubbing butter and flour to make pastry but you need all the lumps out. It has to be the consistency of a non-slushy best quality snowball when you squeeze it gently in your hand.

When I first started I found they molded ok, but took ages to dry out so I added a bit less oil and honey. If you find a recipe that works for you it may be a good idea to weigh everything on a digital scale in grams and keep a record, as grams are a more precise measurement. Hope this helps!

I recommend just using Citric Acid. If you tired three different times with the Fresh Fruit that may be the problem. I tried making them for the first time and no problems! Hope it works!

October 5, 2014 Flag

My bath bombs did not harden in 24 hours. How can I make them harden?

By Nedy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 15, 2010 Flag

Hi again. Well I made the homemade bath bombs, but they are not fizzy. Here are the ingredients I used: 1 part citric acid, 2 parts bicarbonate of soda, colour, and essential oil (a few drops), also 1 part Epsom salts. The problem is they are crumbly and breaking up. I have left them over 24hrs now and still the same. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to soapqueen.com she has videos where you can learn how to make "Bath Bombs". I never heard of using Epsom salt in bath bombs before. Have fun.

I don't know anything about bath bombs, but if you are mixing citric acid and bicarbonate of soda, you should be getting a chemical reaction, fizzing. When you pop them in water, that is. What is holding these things together?

April 11, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how to make cupcake bath bombs and also I am looking for a recipe for they resemble jello jigglers but they are for your bathtub. You scent them, color them and drop one in the tub for a nice bath.

Fruity6 from Cleveland, Ohio

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a recipe for "cupcake bath bombs"? They are bath fizzies in a shape of a cupcake. I bought some, but would like to make as gifts. They are made in muffin pans and use muffin liners. Thanks for any help!

Dana from Newkensington, PA

Answers:
RE: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Post by Luvyabye
Hi Dana!! Here's a page with some recipes. You can key "Make your own bath bombs" in the search engine and come up with other sites, too. Have fun! http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html

http://www.craf  p?topic=53178.20

Reply #22 is the recipe and technique. Go to the beginning of the thread for a picture. Good luck!

http://soap-que  nstructions.html

has instructions on making frosted bath bomb cupcakes.

February 16, 2015 Flag

I love making bath bombs and have made quite a few batches in the past month. Just recently I noticed that when my bath bomb is fizzing, there are a lot of little yellowish-whitish lumps showing. I have no idea what they are. They look really gross like warts. I'm thinking maybe it's the food colouring because I only made 2 batches with food colouring and both of them had this problem. The other 2 batches I made were perfect! Also, I noticed that instead of floating on the water like they should, they sink down to the bottom of the tub! I really want to have my own soap and cosmetics business and sell at craft fairs and stuff so please reply! Thank you.

By Liv

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 4, 2010 Flag

How do I make bath bombs?

By J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Citric acid

Cornstarch

Essential oils

Sweet almond oil

Food coloring

1. In a mixing bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of citric acid. Mix well.

2. When there are no more lumps, add 1/4 C baking soda to the mixture. Stir until you have a very dry, dough-like consistency.

3. In a second bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of sweet almond oil with 3-4 drops of food coloring.

4. Next, add 1/4 teaspoon of your essential oil for scent.

5. Very slowly and carefully add your oil, food coloring, and essential oil mixture to the first bowl that has the dry dough mixture. Blend everything very well.

6. Lay out a piece of wax paper, and using your hands, roll the mixture into balls that are smaller than golf balls. Anything bigger may not dry thoroughly, which can make a mess!

7. Place your bath bomb balls on wax paper and let them dry for several hours in a warm and dry place. After that, you will need to move them to an open box or plastic container to dry for several days before you package them up.

TIP: The drying time is very important. No one wants a gooey bomb!

8. Once the drying is completed, put your bombs in any sort of decorative container for storage. Some people wrap them in cellophane to give as treats, the rest is up to you! Just be sure to let them dry, don't get in a hurry to finish them up!

November 13, 2009 Flag

Can I put my bath bombs in the oven to speed up the drying process? What temperature would I use? How long?

By RV from Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is a bath bomb?

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Here you go : http://en.wikip  g/wiki/Bath_bomb

Crafts Bath & Beauty BathApril 18, 2012
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 5, 2017 at 8:13:18 PM on 10.0.1.156 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.